Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
587 replies to this topic

#61 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Asparagus with comté, mashed potatoes and egg

at04HVTl.png

Was wondering if this would be making an appearance after your last asparagus dish. I have been meaning to make this. Maybe this weekend. Doing some Parisian Gnocchi made with bone marrow butter sometime soon too so we'll see.

• Anna N likes this

#62 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Steve -- that looks absolutely amazing -- can you share your preparation of this pork butt?  I need a dish for my birthday on saturday and this is calling to me!

Thanks

Dan

It's a pretty straight forward preparation.  I stuffed the pork with a paste made from fresh rosemary, fresh garlic and red pepper flake.   I made the pockets for the filling mixture with my finger at muscle separations.  At a few spots I cut slits into the muscle with my boning knife and pushed in the seasoning mix. The butt had a really nice fat cap that I wanted to preserve so I loosely tented the butt with foil and cooked at 250F for probably four or five hours until it reached an internal temp of around 190F and basting every hour.  I removed the foil and turned to the temp to 475F to char the fat cap.  I also scored the cap prior to cooking then deepened the cut marks prior to browning.  Be sure to save the rendered fat as it is great in savory pie crust.   I used some of the rendered fat to make a crust for empanadas using some the leftover meat and they were terrific.  

• Unpopular Poet likes this

#63 Unpopular Poet

Unpopular Poet
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Steve -- thanks -- I appreciate the recipe -- I am pretty excited to give it a try.

#64 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Monday night dinner . . .

Beef slivers with cilantro – Flank steak cut into slivers, marinated with Shaoxing wine, dark and light soy sauce, and potato flour slurry, and then briefly deep-fried. Stir-fry garlic and red chile slivers, add the beef, two bunches of cilantro, and soy sauce, and then finish with sesame oil.

Jasmine rice and salad to round out the meal. Elder son changed his plans to eat with us – I suppose he values a home-cooked meal after a steady diet of cafeteria food.

Choo chee curry tonight – not sure if I will be able to grab a picture.

p428220504-4.jpg

• scubadoo97, Dejah, demiglace and 4 others like this

#65 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 845 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Black bass with vegetables
hjEcBcAl.png
Emperor salad
E7HIffOl.png

• scubadoo97, Dejah, demiglace and 3 others like this

#66 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Halibut season has arrived along with chives in the garden.  This served on a puree of broccoli, arugula and basil.

Attached Images

• halibut.JPG

• Dejah, demiglace, gfweb and 5 others like this

#67 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Choo chee red curry seafood – Crack coconut cream and reserve a spoonful. Fry red curry paste in the coconut oil. Stir in more coconut cream and season with fish sauce and brown sugar. Add fish and shrimp, and when nearly done, mix in a paste of red chiles and garlic. Finish with Thai basil and slivered red chiles, top with reserved coconut cream, and serve with jasmine rice. Salad on the side.

One of elder son’s friends ate with us, and kept shoveling down the curry and rice. Younger son left to hang with his girlfriend just as I was serving dinner; pickings were slim when he returned.  :rolleyes:

p684756925-4.jpg

• scubadoo97, Dejah, demiglace and 3 others like this

#68 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Oh Yes, Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Sous vided corned beef, boiled cabbage and potaoes and braised 14" long carrots.

dcarch

Stpats2014_zpsc198d97c.jpg

StPats2014_zpsc93171af.jpg

• scubadoo97, Dejah, Shelby and 6 others like this

#69 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

Simple dinner tonight. 

Corned%20Beef%20Sandwich%20March%2018th%

Baked sourdough rye today just for corned beef sandwiches.  

• scubadoo97, Toliver, Dejah and 7 others like this

#70 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

cxU3JIhl.png

B8V3Gvnl.png

Rouget with black olive sauce, tapenade and asparagus

6tCeKaul.png

• Dejah, demiglace, Ann_T and 1 other like this

#71 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Where are you getting your asparagus from? Sport hill? Balducci's?

#72 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Balducci's. Deliveries every Tuesday and Friday. :)

• Robenco15 likes this

#73 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Quick supper tonight. Ham steaks with a sherry/cherry sauce, zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli and onions stir fried with a little Koran teriyaki sauce and honey. I made cake doughnuts with a doughnut pan I got from King Arthur. It was dark metal, non-stick and so the bottoms were darker and more well done than the tops. I  expected better from King Arthur.

#74 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

image.jpg

Made from what was on hand. A coarsely chopped portobello cap was sauteed in ghee and then the leg and thigh meat from a Costco rotisserie chicken was tossed in along with some fresh thyme and a little white wine. After the wine had evaporated I slurped in a little heavy cream and some salt and pepper. Easy, fast, tasty.
  • PattyO, Dejah, demiglace and 5 others like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#75 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

We finally had our first halibut of the season.   LOVE halibut.

Halibut%20first%20of%20the%20season%20Ma

Halibut%20first%20of%20the%20season%20Ma

• scubadoo97, Dejah, demiglace and 6 others like this

#76 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

New Orleans red beans and rice. I didn't have a cracked ham bone, so I used a mixture of ham stock and pork neck bones. Beans were RG sangre de toro.

attachicon.gifbeans.jpg

attachicon.giftrinity.jpg

attachicon.gifpork_neck_bones.jpg

attachicon.gifred_beans.jpg

Nice looking dish.  In New Orleans (or in  LA in general)  the preferred beans are Camellia brand whether kidney, navy, lima, etc. Always fresh, cooks up quick, at $2.50\#.  http://www.camelliabrand.com/  

For real all school RB&R try using pickled pork.  http://www.gumbopage...ickle-meat.html or google other sources.  It's easy to cure a few ham steaks to get a little different take on a southern classic.  

• patrickamory likes this

#77 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

thanks Kim.

I wish it were asparagus season...

very quick late night dinner (which is what happens when one is in the office until 11 pm):

13282777474_b6e6c36924_z.jpg

13282570933_b8d057bddb_z.jpg

13282421885_f0b657dc3f_z.jpg

13282421195_64fa59f848_z.jpg

Pasta with escarole, fennel and sausage

Like too many Americans, I used to think that garlic was what defined Italian cooking. Then I woke up.

Oh, it's an important ingredient to be sure, but it's not as central as many people seem to think.

This began with 1 1/2 onions cooked slowly in olive oil with a little salt and pepper, to which was added some sweet Italian sausage, fennel seed, escarole (that had been previously simmered in lightly salted water, then drained), sea salt, black pepper and a little marsala wine.
  • Dejah, demiglace and patrickamory like this

#78 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

March has been a sparse month of cooking due to flu and bronchitis, but getting back into the groove.

Love all the meals shared on these pages, but Ann_T always kills me just for the halibut... :laugh:

Some meals I've managed lately:

Beef stew with tagliatelle:

BeefStew&Tagliatelle0500.jpg

MapoTofu with addition of eggplant

MaPoToFu0496.jpg

a side of mung bean noodles and lettuce

FunSee0498.jpg

Cumin beef

CuminBeef0503.jpg

Something new for me - fenugreek - Aloo Methi. The recipe I tried didn't call for cumin. I checked another recipe and I will definitely add cumin seeds next time. It was a nice change from aloo gobi.

AlooMethi0504.jpg

Pork cutlet and aloo methi

PorkCutlet&AlooMethi0507.jpg

• SobaAddict70, Toliver, demiglace and 5 others like this
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#79 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

Had a little bachlor time last night!!  Not the TV show!!  Wife is in Vegas

Made triple pork burgars (Sunday Supers at Lucques)-- but I topped mine with fresh gaucamole, pickled onions and tomato bits.

Side of Blue corn chips and Gaucamole

Pork Sandwich.jpg

• Toliver, Dejah, demiglace and 5 others like this
Its good to have Morels

#80 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 845 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Rouget with artichokes, clams and chorizo

SAq3PV8l.png

• Anna N, Dejah, demiglace and 3 others like this

#81 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 889 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

image.jpg

Chipotle Pork Posole
  • Dejah, demiglace, C. sapidus and 2 others like this

#82 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

I can't find it but someone did a citrus marinated chicken recently and it looked good so I made some today.  Along with the chicken was bok choy with water chestnuts and Korean marinated bean sprouts. 

DSCN1331_zps9447868b.jpg

• Toliver, Dejah, demiglace and 2 others like this

#83 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Dejah.  Aloo Gobi is an all time favourite.   I've never had Aloo Methi.  It really looks good.  So does that cumin beef.

Robirdstx,  that soup looks like a bowl of comfort. 

Norm, I like the sides you served with the chicken.

Grilled a large Porterhouse Steak tonight. We split it.  Moe got the strip.

Porterhouse%20Steak%20and%20grilled%20ve

The tenderloin was mine.

Grilled%20Vegetables%20March%2020th%2C%2

Served with grilled veggies.

• Toliver, Dejah, demiglace and 2 others like this

#84 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Not sure if it was my citrus marinated roast chicken you saw, but I also did the same dish tonight for our daughter and s-i-l. tonight. They loved it and will use the leftovers for their lunch-on-the-road tomorrow.

Here's the one I made a while back. The recipe is for 2 chickens, and even though there are only the two of us at home, we really enjoy the leftovers for a couple of meals and lunches after.

Citrus Marinated Roast Chicken0417.jpg

It travels well too. I took it for a 3 hour drive to our son's home for supper one weekend.

• demiglace, C. sapidus, Shelby and 1 other like this
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#85 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

This sort of thing gives sous vide a bad name among the uninitiated - "You spent 72 hours cooking dinner?!?"

Ribs.jpg

But they were amazing.  I've done beef short ribs for 48 hours and they were very good; these ones were a whole level better.  Falling-apart tender, lovely beefy taste.

Served with mashed potatoes (with a splash of truffle oil) and beans from the garden.

• demiglace likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#86 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

This sort of thing gives sous vide a bad name among the uninitiated - "You spent 72 hours cooking dinner?!?"

attachicon.gifRibs.jpg

But they were amazing.  I've done beef short ribs for 48 hours and they were very good; these ones were a whole level better.  Falling-apart tender, lovely beefy taste.

Served with mashed potatoes (with a splash of truffle oil) and beans from the garden.

What temperature did you use?  (Perhaps a rhetorical question as I'm about to throw some in at 58 deg C.)

#87 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Not entirely rhetorical - it's not like there isn't time to change it. 60.5 Celsius. Good luck.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#88 Baron d'Apcher

Baron d'Apcher
  • participating member
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

B8V3Gvnl.png

Check.

(albeit from yesteryear).

5590351735_3ee0b7b015_z.jpg

4592235879_9628dd87c5_z.jpg

• Toliver, demiglace, Shelby and 3 others like this

#89 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

Not entirely rhetorical - it's not like there isn't time to change it. 60.5 Celsius. Good luck.

I'm sure you must have said somewhere but what sealer do you use for these long times?

My dinner tonight was lamb tagine with sous vide carrots. And Moroccan round bread.

• scubadoo97 likes this

#90 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

Not sure if it was my citrus marinated roast chicken you saw, but I also did the same dish tonight for our daughter and s-i-l. tonight. They loved it and will use the leftovers for their lunch-on-the-road tomorrow.

Here's the one I made a while back. The recipe is for 2 chickens, and even though there are only the two of us at home, we really enjoy the leftovers for a couple of meals and lunches after.

attachicon.gifCitrus Marinated Roast Chicken0417.jpg

It travels well too. I took it for a 3 hour drive to our son's home for supper one weekend.

Thanks Dejah.  That looks like the one that got me interested and sounds a lot like the one I found with a search. I just used 4 boneless, skinless chicken half breasts for mine.

• Dejah likes this