Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
587 replies to this topic

#511 caroled

caroled
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Why not order from them?

ETA: p.s. From a different cuisine/tradition - but have you tried the stuff at Claus' German Sausage & Meats?

Last night after my post, that very thought dawned on my so I looked them up, and it is reasonably priced... then I looked up the store locator and saw that they are available at Ft. Ben Harrison. Next time my mom goes to the commisary I'll tag along. A pack or 2  at a time beats having to order by the dozen and having to freeze the majority.

I have not yet made it to Claus' and will even plead my ignorance of their existence until I saw some coarse Braunschwieger you had posted.

I love following your posts, not only for the amazing dishes you prepare, but as a source of so many good things around Indy.

• Steve Irby and huiray like this
And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

#512 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

Anna – thank you – I’ll be trying those once life settles down a bit.  And I agree with Patrick.  That is a perfect dinner.

Steve – gorgeous boil.  I’ve only had the real deal one time – at a wedding rehearsal dinner years ago and I made a pig of myself!

Last night was smashed flat griddle burgers:

med_gallery_3331_114_30991.jpg

With the easiest and some of the best onion rings I’ve ever made:

med_gallery_3331_114_125376.jpg

These are simply sliced and salted and left to sit for a few minutes, then tossed with whatever you like – I used half cornmeal half flour.  Deep fried until crisp.  Perfect and not a huge production.

Fixin’s:

med_gallery_3331_114_226248.jpg

The label-less catsup bottle is full of some (probably ersatz) Aaron Franklin sauce that Mr. Kim found a recipe for.  Pretty good, though.

What yesterday’s warm temperatures called for:

med_gallery_3331_114_100292.jpg

• Franci, chileheadmike, Blether and 8 others like this

#513 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Oh man, I'd love to get my hands on those onion rings!

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#514 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

Kim the onion rings do look perfect but so do the burgers. Love the double thin patties. Looks like you get crispy bits around the edges?

#515 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

image.jpg

Must be nostalgia week for me. Another favorite from my childhood. Cheese and onion on homemade white bread. No sweet Vidalia onions here. Sharp brown onions and aged cheddar. I grew up in a pub in England. One thing we offered were cheese and onion sandwiches but the cheese and onions were put through a manual meat grinder to make a somewhat spreadable filling. This crushed the onion cells which moistened the cheese and insured every single bite was the perfect ratio of cheese to onion. It also made assembling dozens of sandwiches much more efficient. Lacking the manual meat grinder, this is my compromise.

(No, a food processor is not a good stand in and even if I had a meat grinder would I pull it out for one sandwich?).
  • Pierogi, Shelby and Steve Irby like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#516 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

We had ravioli with blue fish and potato filling. Dressed with extra virgin oil, asparagus and some grated bottarga

image.jpg
  • SobaAddict70, gfweb, Shelby and 6 others like this

#517 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

Kim, my husband would love one of your burgers.   He loves them cooked on a griddle.  And your onion rings look perfect.

Celebrated Cinco De Mayo with Chiles Rellenos.

Chiles%20Rellenos%20May%205th%2C%202014%

Blackened fresh Poblano peppers on the grill. Peeled, stuffed and ready to batter and fry.

Topped with a quick cooked tomato chile sauce

Served with black beans and homemade salsa.

• Toliver, gfweb, Blether and 8 others like this

#518 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

13932733979_7fc67639ef_z.jpg

Sautéed chicken livers with port and shallots, and mesclun salad

14116091871_8380d4f3e4_z.jpg

Garlic broth, with ramps and spinach

13932733539_d4333d7034_z.jpg

Roast chicken; spinach with garlic, anchovy and lemon
  • gfweb, MikeHartnett, Shelby and 3 others like this

#519 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

Soba, just the other day I was trying to look up garlic broth in one of the earlier issues of Art Culinaire but I do not have that particular one.  Where did you recipe for garlic broth come from? Or may be you can tell me how you made it.  And BTW, you make stunning dishes.

Edited by chefmd, 06 May 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#520 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

Asam Heh (Tamarind fried prawns).  Recipe from "Nonya Flavours, A complete guide to Penang Straits Chinese Cuisine".  I made the optional sauce from the pan residues as well. YUM!   I used both sweet (Thai) tamarind pods and sour tamarind pods to generate the macerated pulp mixture.

• Stir-fried wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) w/ garlic.

• White rice.  Had lots of it w/ the sauce (and prawns). :-)

(Julie Wong; The State Chinese (Penang) Association & Star Publications (M) Bhd; ISBN 983-9512-17-X)

DSCN1384b_800.jpg

DSCN1387b_800.jpg

• Toliver, gfweb, patrickamory and 3 others like this

#521 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

Soba, just the other day I was trying to look up garlic broth in one of the earlier issues of Art Culinaire but I do not have that particular one.  Where did you recipe for garlic broth come from? Or may be you can tell me how you made it.  And BTW, you make stunning dishes.

Thanks. :)

Garlic broth: 2 cloves heirloom garlic, thinly sliced and 4 ramp stalks, minced, fried in 2 tablespoons olive oil until the garlic turns a pale gold. add 2 cups water, along with julienned ramp leaves and torn spinach leaves. simmer for 10 minutes. taste for salt and pepper. stir in the juice of half a lemon, if desired. ladle broth into soup bowls, then serve. you can add a poached egg if you like (which will make it more substantial), or garnish with cooked English peas or morel mushrooms.

Edited by SobaAddict70, 06 May 2014 - 06:13 AM.

#522 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:22 AM

The chicken above was a 4 lb. chicken from USGM, prepared via a Thomas Keller recipe which you can view here: http://www.epicuriou...-Chicken-231348 ; there are a few differences -- I didn't truss it and I cooked it at a lower temperature than TK calls for (e.g., 375 F as opposed to 450 F). I also ditched the butter and the mustard. we had a REALLY rich dinner at Gramercy Tavern on Sunday, and I was going for something comparatively lighter.

The leftovers will make a fine salade parisienne tonight, along with some vegetables in the fridge that have to be used before they turn.

More later.

#523 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:30 AM

Had a catering event last night for Cinco De Mayo.  I rarely get to take photos..  

We started with chicken enchiladas with homemade mole.. Mole has like 32 different things in it and take about two days. 

14142395923_e860831b82_z.jpg

Next up was huitlacoche quesadillas.  Inside these masa pockets were huitlacoche and queso Oaxaca.  Then we moved on to these guys.  They are called tortitas de camaron.  Basically, little egg and dried shrimp fritters fried and then mixed with cactus, or nopales and a sauce made with Guajillo chiles.  Also threw in a puya for a little more heat.  served on top of a homemade tortilla. 

14142379653_0c85c83735_z.jpg

Next course was homemade tamales with a masa pineapple sauce and then we finished with a flan.. 

Very excited as I forgot to eat anything last night and there are a couple of days of leftovers.  

• SobaAddict70, gfweb, Shelby and 2 others like this

#524 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

""   huitlacoche  ""

was your huitlacoche fresh or canned ?  I can only rarely find canned and it varies from can to can.

after all, you have to know what you are doing to be into

Corn Smut      :huh: 

http://www.huffingto...o_n_553422.html

it was a brave soul who took the first bite of this

or else they were vary vary hungry

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts, 06 May 2014 - 06:35 AM.

• Shelby likes this

#525 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

i have only see fresh huitlacoche in San Fran.. Mine was canned.  I always have my eye out for it.. It will eventually be a huge fad, i am sure.. It just needs a revamp of the name and image.. I believe if you called it "corn truffles"    it would be on every menu from here to LA.  

Edited by basquecook, 06 May 2014 - 08:26 AM.

• Shelby and rotuts like this

#526 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

""   huitlacoche  ""

was your huitlacoche fresh or canned ?  I can only rarely find canned and it varies from can to can.

I believe that the Rancho Gordo referred to in that link is one of eGs own.  I'd love to hear more about this stuff.

#527 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

hunt down a can

its a bit hard to find

after all, its a bit Smutty, maybe in the Adult Section of your Latin Grocery.  You know, Behind that Curtain.

:huh:

#528 btbyrd

btbyrd
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Herbed roasted chicken (breast) with mushroom gravy, rainbow carrots, cauliflower, radish, and pea tendrils.

chicken_tendrils.jpg

And from the other night, I did a capreze salad with vacuum marinated tomatoes:

capreze.jpg

Served alongside shrimp with pistachio pesto (recipe from MC@H) over zucchini noodles.

shrimp_pesto.jpg

That pic was taken before I hit it with an obscene amount of parmigiano reggiano.

• scubadoo97, Anna N, Blether and 4 others like this

#529 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

13932733539_d4333d7034_z.jpg

Roast chicken; spinach with garlic, anchovy and lemon

What did that poor chicken ever do to you?

• SobaAddict70 and Paul Bacino like this

#530 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

What did that poor chicken ever do to you?

LOL

Definitely not a food-styling "moment"; I posted it to my Twitter feed, then deleted it 30 seconds later.  Ha ha.

#531 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

Way too many delicious meals to call out. Incredible spring cooking everyone!

I celebrated the end of winter with a winter dish, my favorite that I've discovered through this site, janeer's baked beans...

baked_beans.jpg

• scubadoo97, Toliver, Blether and 2 others like this

#532 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

Wild salmon with vegetables

k67i1pD.png

• scubadoo97, DiggingDogFarm and Steve Irby like this

#533 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

One of my favorites--"Chicken Pie with Biscuits" based on a church supper recipe that appeared in Saveur years ago.  You start with making chicken stock--the best chicken stock ever and very easy--a whole chicken in a deep pot filled with water, aromatics and vegetables. Simmer the chicken for about 3 hours, then strain off the liquid into another pot.  Pull the meat off the chicken and reserve, but put all the bones back in the second pot with the strained liquid.  Now reduce, reduce, reduce.  I don't skim any muck off the top like other recipes because there isn't any mucky foam.  Talk about concentrated chicken flavor.

The next day add a slurry of cream and flour to some of the chicken stock to make a gravy, then add the chicken meat, vegetables of your choosing, (I always add chopped celery, carrots and peas), then some chopped fresh sage, thyme, salt and lots of black pepper.  Bake in a casserole for about 45 minutes. 

Use your favorite biscuit recipe or frozen store-bought biscuits, (yes, they are quite good and convenient), put the biscuits on top of the chicken pie, bake another 15 minutes or so.  Brush the biscuit tops with melted butter and there you have it.

003.JPG

014.JPG

• scubadoo97, PattyO, Toliver and 7 others like this

#534 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

that looks really good Dave.  

Dinner tonight was leftovers.. Miss A and K ordered sushi as they were home today and had this for lunch.. Meanwhile, I had healthy food all day in anticipation of tonights meal.  

Huitlacoche quesadilla, refried beans with tortilla chips and some mole enchiladas.  I had lots of leftover beers so, I had one of those with dinner as well.  

over sauced for my please

13939833499_697fa98c78_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook, 06 May 2014 - 05:54 PM.

• scubadoo97, David Ross, gfweb and 4 others like this

#535 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 796 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

For supper today, I made beef bulgogi and grilled it outside, a Korean style spinach and a salad.  At the Asian Market there was this bottle simply called Red Salad Dressing. I was hoping it would be like the kind we had at the Japanese Steak house but it wasn't.  Maybe if I add ginger it will be closer. It was good anyway.   We also had two kinds of kim che and rice

DSCN1407_zps1a35acca.jpg

DSCN1409_zps8f4222be.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews, 06 May 2014 - 06:18 PM.

• gfweb and Shelby like this

#536 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

I cooked a mackerel in a court buillon and dressed with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, fleur de sel, sumac, thyme and parsley. It went on top of a simple salad...I just wished a had more interesting greens in the house

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • scubadoo97, gfweb, Shelby and 4 others like this

#537 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

Prawn wontons.  With asparagus & spring onions in chicken stock.

DSCN1396a_800.jpg

DSCN1404a_800.jpg

• scubadoo97, Toliver, gfweb and 5 others like this

#538 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

14124624311_514a7cae85_z.jpg

Rillettes de sardines ("sardine spread").

The recipe for this is from pages 78-79 of "My Paris Kitchen".

B remarked that it was quite delicious and addictive. It's also somewhat rich and best consumed over time, or at a dinner party. I halved the proportions David calls for in the original recipe, and subbed lemon juice for lime juice, but otherwise it's as written.

14127944625_b2f1608b13_z.jpg

14124623901_ae9d554cda_z.jpg

Salade parisienne, chive mayonnaise.

Top pic

Clockwise from top right -- cold roast chicken; Jerusalem artichokes; carrot sticks; French breakfast radishes; celery sticks. Not shown are boiled heirloom potatoes.

I adore salade parisienne (better known as "leftovers"). It's perfect for a grazing dinner, and best of all, you can do this year-round. Basically, it's slightly warm or cold cooked meats and vegetables with dipping sauces. Although I had herb mayonnaise, the classic accompaniment is sauce moutarde.

Other ideas include: roast beef, roast turkey, hard-cooked eggs with anchovy fillets; haricot verts or green beans; cherry tomatoes or tomato wedges; pickled pearl onion; steamed Japanese turnips; heirloom radishes.
  • Shelby, patrickamory and DiggingDogFarm like this

#539 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

""   huitlacoche  ""

Back a few years ago when it used to rain here in Kansas (it's already like living on the sun--3 days of near 100 and 100 degrees) our corn that we grew was quite smutty in spots.  I googled it and was shocked that it was something you could eat.  I never was brave enough to try, though.

Couple of dinners:

Spaghetti

Image.jpg

Taco salad

Image 1.jpg

• scubadoo97, Toliver, gfweb and 5 others like this

#540 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

Salmon, mousserons and favas