Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61 Rodrigo

Rodrigo
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Hi I´m trying to find info on the Brand ¨Basser Vacuum¨. Does anyone have references about their products?

Is an external aspiration model, What is the general opinion about this kind of vacuum sealers?

I´m planing in buy the Fresh33 model, for a small business i´m starting. I´m doing beacon and duck ham.

Thanks

Rodrigo

#62 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Hi Rodrigo.

Do you mean Besser?  Here's their site (in Italian).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#63 Rodrigo

Rodrigo
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Yes I mean Besser.

What have you hear about their equipments?

#64 philie

philie
  • participating member
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

From what i ve heard they did produce the complete edge sealer range of German company allpax people are extremeley happy with, specially hunters. Since they do use bosch Pumps aswell i think they will do quite a good job in the chamber vac area aswell?

#65 horseflesh

horseflesh
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

I finally received my 35XP a few weeks ago and have been using it extensively. Having lots of fun with infusion and compression, some cucumber and red radish pickles I made this past weekend with aged sherry vinegar on a 5-minute infusion cycle were a particularly noteworthy success.

I have however been having one seemingly minor issue with the conditioning program, which has the rep at Testek stumped...waiting for some more information from Minipack themselves. Specifically, this always fails on the first run with a "SERVICE - VACUUM TIME" message with exactly 2:39 left on the countdown clock. If I run the cycle again immediately, it seems to always succeed the second time.

Any other XP-series owners run into something like this with their unit? It seems a relatively minor thing, but I'd obviously like to rule out that it's a symptom of some more serious problem.

I haven't had that problem, though I have only used the conditioning cycle a few times. (How often are you SUPPOSED to do it, do you know?)

I have had a different issue, though... Has your display ever gone completely blank, or half blank? 

Don't hesitate to call Minipack directly. There's a very helpful tech there named Jamal, who I've spoken with a couple of times. 

#66 danelks

danelks
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

I haven't had that problem, though I have only used the conditioning cycle a few times. (How often are you SUPPOSED to do it, do you know?)

I have had a different issue, though... Has your display ever gone completely blank, or half blank? 

Don't hesitate to call Minipack directly. There's a very helpful tech there named Jamal, who I've spoken with a couple of times. 

I've just been keeping an eye on the oil and running it when it looks cloudy from water vapor. Depends how much you seal liquids, I think.

I haven't had that problem in particular. I have been talking with someone at Minipack actually, but they haven't come up with much yet...still back and forth.

#67 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

While I am still pleased with the Polyscience 300, I find it does have a fault. When draw a vacuum using the external vacuum port, sometimes it works and sometimes it does nothing (even though the machine pulls a vacuum inside the chamber). I'd say more often than not the external vacuum feature does not work.

I think the problem has to do with how the supplied vacuum hose fits -- or doesn't fit -- in the vacuum port. It may of course be user error...not helped by the wretched Polyscience 300 manual.

Any advice or thoughts?

#68 JohnM

JohnM
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

I'm planning to modify my VP215 to add a digital vacuum gauge, and program for seal at %vacuum as an option to time.  After that mod, I will consider adding MAP gas venting and/or an infusion program.  I have not been able to find any posts on this modification.  I can't imagine someone here has not already done something similar...  Have I missed anything?

#69 Unpopular Poet

Unpopular Poet
  • society donor
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

For all of you Minipack MVS35XP owners out there -- how are you enjoying your machine -- I have the capability to possibly upgrade to it at this point and I am thinking that I will.  I have a MVS31X, which is great, but I find that time and time again, anytime I do a hot or liquid application, I end up messing up the pump -- Currently the machine says it is pulling 99.9, but I know from experience is quite a bit less.  Perhaps even in the low 90s.  Thanks for the input....The other item I am looking at is the Polyscience 300 -- but I may be in the same boat with liquids and hot items.  

#70 horseflesh

horseflesh
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

I've been quite happy with my 35XP. I abuse it with hot foods and liquids all the time and the pump is still going strong. I just changed the oil though, at about 550 cycles, because it looked milky... I wish knew how often you really have to do that because at that rate it adds about two cents in costs to each cycle.

#71 Unpopular Poet

Unpopular Poet
  • society donor
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

horseflesh -- that was exactly what I wanted to hear -- Now if Polyscience would just call me back...

EDIT:  That came out whinny..didn't mean it that way.  Just chomping at the bit!

Edited by Unpopular Poet, 19 May 2014 - 01:41 PM.

• lesliec likes this

#72 danelks

danelks
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

I too am very happy with my 35XP, aside from the odd issue with the conditioning program (which is still an ongoing discussion with MiniPack - it appears I may need a replacement control card). I use the soft air and infusion cycle so frequently that I can't imagine not having them.

Horseflesh, for what it's worth, running the conditioning program tends to get rid of that cloudy/milky consistency in the oil. I think the manual suggests replacing the oil after a certain number of cycles but I don't remember the total off the top of my head. The machine keeps track of that for you buried somewhere in those menus...I intend to replace the oil no less than once per year though, even if I don't hit that total. Better safe than sorry.

#73 horseflesh

horseflesh
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

I've used the conditioning program a few times but haven't noticed a visible difference in the oil. That may be meaningless, though. 

Do you have the manual soft air knob? Mine came with one and I have honestly never tried the programmable soft air, since the knob is so darn easy to use. 

Any other problems with your unit? Mine does have a quirk--the display may go blank, or just half blank, until you power-cycle it. This only seems to happen if I interact with the control panel, eg changing programs, and then only if I leave it alone for a while.

If I just turn it on and operate it, I don't think it has ever blanked out. Makes me think it may be a software problem... Minipack suggested opening up the unit and re-seating the cables, which I have not yet tried.

#74 danelks

danelks
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

I've definitely seen relatively cloudy oil become crystal clear after a couple of conditioning runs (you need to let it settle for a few hours afterwards, as it will draw in a lot of air).

No soft air knob on mine, just the software program. I imagine we must have different revisions.

The only problem I've had is the one I described a few posts back, where the conditioning program sometimes terminates early with an error message. No issues with the display that I've seen.

It seems given my location I may have to install the replacement control card myself - which I'm actually not too concerned with (provided it doesn't affect my warranty). I wouldn't mind getting a look at the guts of the machine in all honesty.

#75 Unpopular Poet

Unpopular Poet
  • society donor
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

Well, I went ahead and ordered the MVS35XP from Polyscience yesterday -- It is being delivered today -- gotta love being within 20 miles of Polyscience.  I am really, really excited to see the difference between the 2 (35XP vs. 31X) -- I feel like the pump should make a huge difference -- as well as the soft air, hot food and infusion cycle.  PS - If anyone is in the Chicagoland area and has an interest in a MVS31X (which needs an oil change and pump cleaning which would cost about ~$250?), I would be happy to discuss a sale or interesting trade.  It does have the gas inlet as well, but I have never used that.  Otherwise, I am just going to put it up on craigslist at some point.

Edited by Unpopular Poet, 21 May 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#76 Lbakermathews

Lbakermathews
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Okay can anyone tell me the difference in terms of what an oil pump chamber sealer can do that a dry pump cannot? Or is there no difference. I'm ready to buy a chamber sealer, and I just want to make an informed decision. Right now I'm trying to choose between VP215 and PS300.  For those of you with either of those models, what do you like best and least about them.  

#77 horseflesh

horseflesh
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

An oil pump pulls a stronger vacuum, and is tolerant of water vapor meaning you can work with liquids and hot foods. The oil pumps are also said to be more long-lived in general. 

I do not know how much water vapor is too much for a dry pump, if anyone else does I'd like to learn more. 

• Lbakermathews likes this

#78 Lbakermathews

Lbakermathews
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Thank you horseflesh

#79 Lbakermathews

Lbakermathews
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

i purchased the Vacmaster VP215 set to arrive on Monday--thanks for the input everyone.

• flippant likes this

#80 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

An oil pump pulls a stronger vacuum, and is tolerant of water vapor meaning you can work with liquids and hot foods. The oil pumps are also said to be more long-lived in general. 

I do not know how much water vapor is too much for a dry pump, if anyone else does I'd like to learn more. 

I thought oil pumps pulled a stronger vacuum, but were less tolerant of water vapor?

Edit:  My only experience of oil pumps was electron microscopy at school.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 07 June 2014 - 11:05 PM.

• Lbakermathews likes this

#81 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

More tolerant

some how the water get in the oil which you change from time to time.

got to be much more to it that that

last time i checked, though not recently, oil and water have a hard time mixing.

:huh:

#82 Matt Powell

Matt Powell
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

I'm having some small issues with my VP112 - wanted to get some clarification on possible help for them.

With a standard 8-10oz. ribeye, I have to run the VP112 for 50 seconds to hit ~28.5Hg, then a 5 second seal - any less than this and I tend to get floaters. Even then, the vacuum isn't as tight as I expected. (Broadly speaking, I've had the same issue with other meats and when trying to do liquor infusions of fruit.)

My first question - I've seen some references to filling the chamber better, would it do any good to get a few plastic cutting boards to take up space in the chamber?

My second - for now, should there be any issues with meat texture with such a long vacuum? I haven't noticed any, but in the fruit infusions, 50 seconds definitely started to get cold liquid closer to the boiling point. 

#83 Raamo

Raamo
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

I'm having some small issues with my VP112 - wanted to get some clarification on possible help for them.

With a standard 8-10oz. ribeye, I have to run the VP112 for 50 seconds to hit ~28.5Hg, then a 5 second seal - any less than this and I tend to get floaters. Even then, the vacuum isn't as tight as I expected. (Broadly speaking, I've had the same issue with other meats and when trying to do liquor infusions of fruit.)

My first question - I've seen some references to filling the chamber better, would it do any good to get a few plastic cutting boards to take up space in the chamber?

My second - for now, should there be any issues with meat texture with such a long vacuum? I haven't noticed any, but in the fruit infusions, 50 seconds definitely started to get cold liquid closer to the boiling point. 

1st question Yes - filling up the space will mean the pump has less air to pull out.

2nd questions - shouldn't make any difference.  50 seconds doesn't seem like a long time if it's mostly empty chamber.

Then again this is all academic (from reading far too much MC and this site) for a few more days.  I finally pulled the trigger on a VP-215.

#84 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

Matt, I have a VP112.  Unfortunately, it seems to me you have a defective unit.  As a double check, I just did a run with a substantially empty chamber - normally I use fillers to reduce the amount of dead air - just a very small book (3-1/2 oz, i.e., 100 g) in an 8-by-10" bag.  The unit had no problem pulling a full vacuum (as full as mine ever gets)* in 30 seconds.  I suggest you write Ary (the manufacturer).  Sounds like this is a new unit, so you should still be covered by warranty.

* My pulls always come in at 0.9 bar according to the gauge.  Several sources report that the VP112's gauge  isn't obsessively accurate, though, which is why they use a timer.  What worries me isn't the reading you're getting, but rather the fact that your bags float.  Mine don't.  (Well, proteins don't; veggies, of course, are a different problem.)  Heck, I just reran the test with 7 oz cooked meatballs - the only protein I have in the house at the moment - and even those sink.  Again, just a 30 second draw.

#85 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

I have a VP 215.  Ive had it for a while, but have only use it a few times as I have a freezer full of SV and have to go through quite a few Items before I get back to SV

my question is this :  as I understand it, there is no way to interrupt a cycle to 'seal' before the full set time is up.

I just vac'd a few bacon demi-slabs cut from a full slab of Edwards.  the last 10 seconds of the cycle I could hear what might be

'boiling'  and i would have prefered to seal when I first heard that sound.

most of my vac's will be various meats and Id prefer, for no particular reason. to seal just before any water 'boils'

I dont really think I need a vacuum that strong.

Of course, I could 'test' a bag first.  note the time to 'boil' and \turn off and reset the time for that number.

but Im as lazy as the next guy if not more so.

also in this type of system, is a 4 MIL bag worth the minor extra cost over the 3 mil bags?

Ive decided when its time for me to get bags, an order of 500 might last for a very long time.

1000 will last many lifetimes.  Id get at least a larger bag, they are so cheap and cut them down if Im using significantly less space.

Your thoughts ?

#86 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

as I understand it, there is no way to interrupt a cycle to 'seal' before the full set time is up.

Sure there is, press "Stop"...it'll stop vacuuming and seal.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#87 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

thank you   I thought it just stopped and did not seal.

I'll be tossing and turning all night thinking about something else then ...

probably a vacuum - freeze - dryer.

any idea what number on that cute dial represents the sort of vacuum I get on the Weston Sealer ?

or a 'good quality' non- oil pump textured bag sealer   ( ie Weston ) not FoodSaver ?

Edited by rotuts, 16 September 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#88 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

and  re: 4 mil bags ?  its a trivial Delta Expense .

#89 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

In practical terms, I'd say you need to get at least half-way thru the green area on the gauge.

4 mil bags at the absolute minimum, IMHO...even they suck (no pun intended) in certain situations.

The other day I sealed some tomatoes that I dried and just the rough edges of the the dried tomato were enough to cause failure in some of the bags.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#90 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

thanks.  Ill move to 4 mil

the boiling seemed to start past the 1/2 way mark on the green area, about 1/2 way further along towards the next mark.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist