Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Uses of herbs in cooking

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 7,596 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Plantes:

My main "go-to" herb is Italian parsley.  I go through 1-2 bunches a week.  Now that I've started making charmoula on a weekly basis, I'll probably increase it.

Other candidates include:

chives -- as a garnish, in omelettes, pesto

mint -- in desserts, in soda, for infused syrups, in ice cream or sorbet, with Thai food, lamb, in salads, in tisanes, tea

thyme -- with lamb, in tisanes, in stews, soups, infused in port

oregano -- with tomatoes, tomato sauces, vegetables, Greek salad, pizza

basil -- mostly in Italian cooking:  insalata caprese, pesto, stufato di verdure, etc.

rosemary -- with lamb; in Italian cooking:  pollo alla cacciatore, etc.; in infused syrups, roasted vegetables

sage -- with brown butter, in soups and stews; fried in olive oil till crisp, then crumbled over pasta, vegetables or used as a garnish in salads

cilantro -- in charmoula, in Indian and Mexican cooking

Some things that I occasionally come across are:  sorrel, marjoram and tarragon.

Not all of these are available year-round (I buy primarily from farmers markets).

One thing I like to do as the year progresses is an herb salad.

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#32 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Soba, and very glad to see you again! I hadn't heard of chermoula before; what do you put in yours?

#33 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,596 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Soba, and very glad to see you again! I hadn't heard of chermoula before; what do you put in yours?

It's a spicy herb sauce common in Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco.

My version usually contains hefty doses of Italian parsley, cilantro and scallions.  Sometimes I'll add mint.  I also like toasted and ground coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, chipotle peppers and/or preserved citrus, occasionally saffron. The sauce base also contains sea salt, black pepper, Meyer lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil.

#34 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

I really recommend growing a few, even if it has to be on the windowsill. That way, you can nibble and get to know the basic nature of each herb better.

Of course, many herbs combine different aromas and tastes, but the more you notice about their characteristics, the freer you will be to experiment or substitute. Tart, sour, peppery, heady and citrusy, resiny piney, warm and aromatic, funky, bitter...

#35 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • 7,596 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

It's a spicy herb sauce common in Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco.

My version usually contains hefty doses of Italian parsley, cilantro and scallions.  Sometimes I'll add mint.  I also like toasted and ground coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, chipotle peppers and/or preserved citrus, occasionally saffron. The sauce base also contains sea salt, black pepper, Meyer lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil.

I'm making a batch tonight and taking pix for here and eventually, the blog.