Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Non-chocolate self-saucing pudding cakes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 powerdog

powerdog
  • participating member
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

I like the cakes that use a chocolate/hot water mixture poured on top, which transforms into a bottom layer of sauce. But I'd like to branch out from chocolate. Ever try a different flavor, and if so, what were the alternate ingredients?

I'm thinking of trying a butterscotch flavored cake, by browning butter, then adding brown sugar and hot water to make the sauce. Brown sugar and vanilla in the cake itself.

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Fine Cooking 2005 did a series of these.  I also make an Amish Rhubarb pudding using the same technique.

• annabelle likes this

#3 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

I used to make a lemon one.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#4 ChrisZ

ChrisZ
  • participating member
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

I think the lemon one is called "lemon delicious" - certainly google brings up lots of recipes with that name.  Haven't had it for a long time but it's very light and fluffy, I don't think you add water on top like with a chocolate pudding, I think the pudding just ends up floating on sauce.

#5 powerdog

powerdog
  • participating member
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

I wonder if the cocoa powder (in the chocolate sauce) is what gives it some body, or if some of the flour from the cake part migrates into the sauce. I might try my idea for browned butter, brown sugar, and water, but I think it might be too thin.

#6 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Yeah - the lemon one relies on egg whites and a bit of flour for the top layer - no boiling water.

#7 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

Butter Rum Pudding Cakes Source: Fine Cooking Mar 2005 page 65 
(8 servings)

• 2 ounces butter melted
  •  cup dark brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ⅓ cups milk
  • 3 tablespoons rum
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ¼ cup sugar

Beat eggwhites with 1/4 cup sugar to med soft peaks. Whisk remaining ingredients together. Fold in whites. Bake in 8 buttered ramakins in water 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

• rotuts likes this