Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 2)

Cookbook Modernist Reference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
587 replies to this topic

#571 AaronM

AaronM
  • participating member
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

Books came.

They're heavy.

#572 MarkC

MarkC
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself, I am a member of the MC team. I have been following egullet for the last two years. I have some information from our business team:

We are hearing scattered reports of the 374-page, waterproof Kitchen Manual (Volume 6) missing from Modernist Cuisine sets. If you purchased the book and are missing the Kitchen Manual, please forward your receipt, mailing address, and phone number to info@modernistcuisine.com

You will receive the Kitchen Manual within 7-14 days. Thanks in advance for your patience as we determine why some sets are missing the Kitchen Manual.

The Cooking Lab
Art Director
Modernist Cuisine

#573 PedroG

PedroG
  • participating member
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

I bet nobody can brag about a delivery as special as mine. Kerry Beal bought MC but I knew from the get-go that this would be a shared acquisition. The books arrived at Kerry’s home while she was at work. Against all the odds, she resisted the urge to open the package when she got home. At around 8pm last night she showed up carrying the unopened package from our visitor parking lot to my back door – all 50 lbs. She then photographed the incredible task of opening the boxes.

Anna,
I miss Kerry's photographs!
Well, I couldn't resist either to take a few pictures.

I had not noticed our wireless doorbell was out of battery power (doh!), but luckily I looked out of the window just at the right moment and saw the DHL guy typing "recipient not home" into his machine (one minute later he would have been gone!):
Posted Image

Heavy!
Posted Image

625 bucks!
Posted Image

This should stand the "Philips test 10" (free fall from 10 meters; I did not verify!):
Posted Image

The kitchen manual:
Posted Image

The perspex box wrapped in paper:
Posted Image

Here it is:
Posted Image

Other cookbooks look pretty tiny!
Posted Image

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro
eG Ethics Signatory

#574 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:21 AM

As you lucky folks dive in this weekend, share your impressions. Where did you start? Where did you go? What things are you thinking of cooking first?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#575 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:30 AM

As you lucky folks dive in this weekend, share your impressions. Where did you start? Where did you go? What things are you thinking of cooking first?

I suppose I'm not really a "typical" reader, since I had access to the online review version before (thanks, Chris!). But once I got my physical copy, I started reading the microbiology section, in addition to browsing through all five volumes, admiring the photography and looking at pictures.

So far, two recipes have really caught my eye, and they both seem relatively straightforward: the onion rings and the autoclave onion soup. Really looking forward to trying both, though I might have to skip the cheese foam on the soup...
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#576 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

I bet nobody can brag about a delivery as special as mine. Kerry Beal bought MC but I knew from the get-go that this would be a shared acquisition. The books arrived at Kerry’s home while she was at work. Against all the odds, she resisted the urge to open the package when she got home. At around 8pm last night she showed up carrying the unopened package from our visitor parking lot to my back door – all 50 lbs. She then photographed the incredible task of opening the boxes.

Anna,

Kerry didn't post them. :sad: Not sure why. She is travelling at the moment so I will ask when I next contact her. You did a great job of documenting and it would be quite similar to what Kerry did.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#577 cbread

cbread
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

... Where did you start? Where did you go? ...

Glanced all over and then went for the section on meat.

Amazing book. So much information it's like drinking from a fire hose.

#578 AaronM

AaronM
  • participating member
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

I went right to the Plated Dishes volume and wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. A lot of the dishes (most?) I just didn't find interesting.

Can't comment on the rest of the set.

#579 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

more like getting hosed by one! Amazing books, I've only read in the first volume so far, so much interesting info, I love all the history, so neat to have it all in one place! Can't wait to dive into the other volumes!
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#580 abadoozy

abadoozy
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

Book 1, page 1. Start reading.

As far as cooking, though, I've made the Mac & Cheese already as the recipe was posted here. Next up is the mushroom ketchup and maybe the cheese for the burger. Debating if I want to do the meat for the burger - seems like a lot of work and others have posted that it's not that huge of a step above a high quality standard burger.

Also have been skipping around a bit and reading the wine chapter (gotta try hyperdecantation) and bits of the sausage chapter.

And the BBQ sauces. And the Pastrami. And the pulled pork. And by then, I'm sure I'll have another list of things-to-try!

#581 runwestierun

runwestierun
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

MC is #34 at Amazon.ca right now.

#582 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

Reading time is very limited at the moment but I am carving out time whenever I can. Last night it was from 2-5 a.m. I started with Book 2, Techniques and Equipment, and am still working my way through it. It seems every page amazes me with a nugget of knowledge I didn’t have before. I make copious handwritten notes. I am using up blocks of post-its. I know. I know. There’s a superb PDF index but at my age I need all the help I can get to make things stick. I don’t quite know where I will start as far as the recipes/techniques go. Curries? Stocks? Infused flavours? Sous Vide? No book has ever affected me like this and I have read a great deal in my life. I am even trying my best to absorb the math, chemistry and physics subjects that have previously bored me to tears. What I am experiencing reminds me of my discovery of anthropology in University when it seemed a whole new world was opening up. This is another new world and one I never expected to discover so late in life.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#583 ermintrude

ermintrude
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Has anyone thought “A modernist cuisine” would be perfect as the basis for an educational TV series or DVD set. Looking at the photographs and think how amazing some would look filmed, also animations showing how gels and emulsifiers work . What could be done and it’s use as an educational tool has amazing potential.

My gut feeling that it would be best produced as and educational set not intended for general TV as often things can get dumbed down or sensationalised for better TV and not better education. I’d see it being of a quality that could be used in universities, cooking schools but still accessible by the general public (Thinking similar to some of the more stunning documentaries – BBC springs to mind )

I’d not see it as a replacement to the book which would be the ultimate reference but it should be able to stand alone. The book would go deeper and have the parametric recipes etc.

All that said, done to the same quality and standards of the book (going by hearsay as my copy has not yet arrived – sob) it would not be inexpensive to produce but to me I’d buy a set

What do you think?
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

#584 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

Has anyone thought “A modernist cuisine” would be perfect as the basis for an educational TV series or DVD set. Looking at the photographs and think how amazing some would look filmed, also animations showing how gels and emulsifiers work . What could be done and it’s use as an educational tool has amazing potential.

It would be amazing if done right and utterly useless if left to the likes of FoodTV. In the hand of Nathan and his crew it would be priceless.

My 2004 eG Blog

#585 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

I want one!

But I want my books first - they're still sitting in Auckland. Sigh.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#586 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

I want one!

But I want my books first - they're still sitting in Auckland. Sigh.

I absolutely sympathize with you but they are SO worth waiting for. Not much consolation I know.

My 2004 eG Blog

#587 Amida0616

Amida0616
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

I initially started with book 1. More skimming then reading. Kind of skimmed through the first 4 volumes.

Volume 3 became my immediate favorite. Volume 2 and 4 are are also amazing. 5 is good for inspiration. 1 is maybe something i will read through once but dont see myself going back time and time again.

Overall its pretty amazing and maybe the best non fiction book I have read on any subject.

I was thinking of cooking the microwaved tilapia with scallions and ginger recipe first...seems quick and easy with no "modernist ingredients" or multi day prep needed. My modernist pantry consists of only agar agar and xantham gum right now.

Some other things i am planning on trying soon are:

Rib Eye with cherry mustard marmalade and porcini
Scallop Tartare

#588 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:25 AM

Anna,

Kerry didn't post them. sad.gif Not sure why. She is travelling at the moment so I will ask when I next contact her. You did a great job of documenting and it would be quite similar to what Kerry did.

Peter - didn't realize you were a fan of my photos. Not some of my best work but I'll post the unwrapping here.

DSCN2760.jpg

The little note from my favourite UPS guy thanking me for the bag of chocolate goodies (I know who to keep happy).

DSCN2762.jpg

Anna digging in!

DSCN2763.jpg

Kitchen Manual on it's throne.

DSCN2764.jpg

Close!

DSCN2770.jpg

Amazed at the size - we needed something for scale.

DSCN2774.jpg

Now - what shall I try first?

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, "Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 3)]

Edited by Mjx, 21 February 2014 - 08:55 AM.
Moderator note added.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook, Modernist, Reference