Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 3)

Modernist Cookbook Reference

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#91 Markm

Markm
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:25 PM

I have to admit. Opening my box o books felt like Christmas. Thanks Nathan for the gift. Even though I paid for them, the gift was in the risk you took to achieve the vision.

My Poly Science science water circulator, and chamber vac arrived the same day as MC. All were ordered months apart too. Can't wait to experiment.

#92 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:18 AM

It's arrived! Now to find where to keep it...

#93 catsrus9

catsrus9
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

Hi Nathan,
Thanks for the information. I had the feeling I was getting the run around from Barnes and Noble. I'm not sure what's going on over there or why they are withholding information. Do you know if additional copies are still reaching shipment centers/warehouses throughout the US, or are we done until the second printing arrives around July?

I'm a graduate student in Cornell's Department of Food Science and I was sincerely hoping to use this book as the basis of a research project and a lesson for some of our undergraduate students. Having placed my order in mid February, I was hoping to receive a copy before the summer.

Thanks again for any information you might be able to provide.
Best regards,
Charlie

#94 Wayt Gibbs

Wayt Gibbs
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:12 AM

Anyone who ordered the book from Barnes and Noble but hasn't received it yet will want to check out my new blog post on that situation. We don't understand why B&N has been sporadically cancelling orders and some B&N reps have been giving out misleading info to customers, but apparently they have. One eGullet member reported that B&N claimed not to have received any copies of MC yet, which is simply false.

This situation frustrates us as much as it does the customers, I assure you. We've been told by the powers that be at B&N that they are reaching out to every customer who has ordered the book (starting with those whose orders were erroneously cancelled) to fix this.

If you ordered from B&N and received an order cancellation notice, and don't hear from them next week about reinstating the order, please email your order confirmation slip to info@modernistcuisine.com, and we'll do what we need to to make this right.
Wayt Gibbs
Editor in chief, Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking and Modernist Cuisine at Home
The Cooking Lab, LLC

#95 AaronM

AaronM
  • participating member
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Y'all are lucky the MC team is so devoted.

#96 catsrus9

catsrus9
  • participating member
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

Wayt,
Thanks so much to you and everyone else at the Modernist Cuisine Team. I really appreciate all the effort you folks are making to figure this out.
All my best,
Charlie

#97 Magictofu

Magictofu
  • participating member
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

Reading this thread, all I can say is: Best customer service ever!!!

I received my books about a week ago and I must confess that barely I barely scratched the surface. That being said, I am already very very very impressed. I have the feeling that Nathan was able to build an amazing team; this kind of work requires so much more than good workers... it takes a lot of dedication, teamwork, expertise and intelligence.

Nathan, if you read this, please pass the praises to your team and know how grateful I am (we are) that you have decided to share the product of those years of work with all of us.

#98 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

Got it today. Worked from home to wait for the UPS guy and he did not show up till 7:30 PM. I immediately reached for the Animals and Plants volume (V3).

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#99 S Schroeder

S Schroeder
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:07 AM

What is the rough ETA for the printable full index (as noted up-thread), is it weeks or months (I hope for the former but fully understand if it is the latter).
Looking forward to getting my copy next Tuesday (Mar 10th US Amazon order for those that are keeping track)...
Scott Schroeder
Eau Claire Wisconsin

#100 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

What is the rough ETA for the printable full index (as noted up-thread), is it weeks or months (I hope for the former but fully understand if it is the latter).
Looking forward to getting my copy next Tuesday (Mar 10th US Amazon order for those that are keeping track)...

Check back - I believe it is now fully printable.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#101 ermintrude

ermintrude
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

Got home and my neighbours had intercepted the courier for me and had my copy. The packaging seems nuclear bomb proof and the set was smaller than I imagined it was going to be. But now happily installed on the "These do not go into the kitchen book shelf" :biggrin:
IMG_02701.JPG
Now for some reading, I may be sometime......
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

#102 AnneN

AnneN
  • society donor
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

Check back - I believe it is now fully printable.

Thanks! You are correct; it is now printable. I am thinking of printing it and running it to my UPS store and have them bind it for me.
Anne Napolitano
Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

#103 edsel

edsel
  • participating member
  • 984 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

Got home and my neighbours had intercepted the courier for me and had my copy. The packaging seems nuclear bomb proof and the set was smaller than I imagined it was going to be. But now happily installed on the "These do not go into the kitchen book shelf" :biggrin:
IMG_02701.JPG
Now for some reading, I may be sometime......

I have one of those too. But my cheap shelves are starting to sag under the weight. Time to invest in better shelving!

Posted Image

#104 ermintrude

ermintrude
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

I can recommend vitose a design classic and if you can direct wall mount not as expensive as you may think.

#105 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

Well, I can show you where I intend to keep mine, someday:
DSC_8779.jpg

Of course, the reality is, right now they live on my desk, more or less permanently:
DSC_8780.jpg

(volume one is on my wife's nightstand....)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#106 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Mine (ours!) will make their permanent home with Kerry Beal but for the moment they litter my coffee table and the case and remaining volumes take up space on my dining room table - so lots of room to read and study - not so much room to eat. :laugh:

MC.jpg

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#107 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,941 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

Mine (ours!) will make their permanent home with Kerry Beal but for the moment they litter my coffee table and the case and remaining volumes take up space on my dining room table - so lots of room to read and study - not so much room to eat. :laugh:

MC.jpg

Tell them how well your hubby is protecting them for me.

#108 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:32 PM

Chef Myhrvold

Congrats on the successful launch of your epic tome. Have you considered publishing a version of your book that will appeal to the advanced home cook? I am sure there is more than enough in these five volumes to fill one book showing how modernist techniques can be applied in the average American home with readily available ingredients and commonly found tools.

Dan
"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

#109 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

MC.jpg

Tell them how well your hubby is protecting them for me.

Yeah. I am not allowed to have food or drink within miles of them, can't rest my sheaf of paper on them when I write lest it bleed through, must remove them from the coffee table when we have visitors just in case those visitors are careless - sheesh even Kerry wouldn't be that strict with me. :raz:

My 2004 eG Blog

#110 ermintrude

ermintrude
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

My friend who is in marketing just saw them, totally uninterested in the content but the printing, asking me questions I can't answer, I directed him to modernistcuisine.com but he wants to know more. I've never seen someone go so intense over a book - and that was just the prinbt quality. And for the kitchen manual I said it was made to be damage proof and he said can I rip it, heart said no, head said yes and it did not rip.

The book itself is a new thing. is there more info on the printing process and color accuracy I can pass on to my m8?

#111 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

Reading through chapter 2 tonight, I was surprised to read on pp. 1•132-133, regarding C. botulinum, that heating the food enough to kill the bacteria doesn't destroy the toxin they've already produced. My understanding of the specific case of botulism was that the toxin was quite easy to destroy; the CDC says that heating to an internal temperature of at least 85°C for at least 5 minutes will decontaminate the food in question. I realize there are lots of bacterial toxins that aren't inactivated by normal cooking temperatures, but can anyone clarify the issue of botulinum toxin? Or am I simply reading this paragraph wrong?
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#112 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

85c for 5 minutes is quite high - I don't see an inconsistency here?

#113 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

85c for 5 minutes is quite high - I don't see an inconsistency here?

Yeah, I guess it's pretty dependent on the temperature at which C. botulinum begins to die. The reason it jumped out at me is because of the notorious difficulty in rendering the spores inactive, given that they can survive past 100°C.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#114 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:20 AM

Anyone notice the distinctive smell of the books? I guess its the ink solvent...

#115 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:09 AM

Anyone notice the distinctive smell of the books? I guess its the ink solvent...

Yes. It seems to dissipate as you use them or perhaps I am now so accustomed that I no longer notice it.

My 2004 eG Blog

#116 JBailey

JBailey
  • society donor
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:08 AM

it's like having a 'new car smell' - I miss the fragrance when it's gone. Maybe some bookshop sells a new book freshener to keep in the plastic sleeve!
"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.
That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

#117 abadoozy

abadoozy
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:38 AM

Mine, with pug:

IMG_0959.JPG

As soon as I got them, my husband said "Let's clear off the table and they can live there as long as you want them to." Heck if that's not a good use for a formal kitchen table, I don't know what it. 95% of the time we eat at our kitchen bar or in the living room.

Edited by abadoozy, 17 April 2011 - 06:39 AM.

#118 ermintrude

ermintrude
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

MC.jpg

Litter your coffee table, the books in thier case are a coffee table :biggrin:

#119 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

MC.jpg

Litter your coffee table, the books in thier case are a coffee table :biggrin:

No kidding! I actually cleared off the top of a rolling file cabinet thinking that would be the perfect spot for them for a temporary home until I realized the cabinet's "home" is directly under the source of a major leak every time it rains. :wacko:

My 2004 eG Blog

#120 Guy MovingOn

Guy MovingOn
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

I still don't like the layout... :sad:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist, Cookbook, Reference