Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Bergamot Curd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Toots and I were talking earlier about bergamot, and the idea of bergamot curd crossed my mind.  Has anyone ever made it?  Any tips?

I found a couple of recipes on line, so I know it's been done.

.... Shel

#2 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

I often add some bergamot to orange marmalade. Keep in mind that it is a very intense flavor, and straight bergamot curd might be no one's cup of tea. You might try a lemon or meyer lemon curd and add some bergamot juice to it. A little goes a long way, so start out carefully and if you want your next batch more bergamot-y add judiciously.

• Shel_B likes this

#3 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

I often add some bergamot to orange marmalade. Keep in mind that it is a very intense flavor, and straight bergamot curd might be no one's cup of tea. You might try a lemon or meyer lemon curd and add some bergamot juice to it. A little goes a long way, so start out carefully and if you want your next batch more bergamot-y add judiciously.

Good advice ... thanks!

.... Shel

#4 David Hensley

David Hensley
  • participating member
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Where does one obtain Bergamot oil, anyway? I've looked for it, but not found it locally....

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

#5 patti_h

patti_h
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

David, I know you can get it through DoTerra. They are a company that sells essential oils- they actually do say that you can ingest their oils, unlike most essential oil manufacturers. I have not ordered from them myself though.

#6 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

I can recommend the Chef's Essences from Mandy Aftel. They are expensive but high quality. I have used a bunch of the oils, including the bergamot. Here:
http://www.aftelier....ome.php?cat=346

• judiu and DianaM like this

#7 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Where does one obtain Bergamot oil, anyway? I've looked for it, but not found it locally....

Amoretti sells both a high quality bergamot oil and a bergamot compound.