Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking meringue in forms

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Last night I ordered what I thought was a silicone demisphere mold to cook and form meringue. Today, upon receiving the package, I discovered it was not silicone, but acrylic, for chocolate work. It is no issue to return, but I wonder if it would still be possible to use for the meringues, and could it withstand a heat of 160F? If so, what would be best to line the molds with to prevent sticking? Thanks.

Molds in question:

4A5AvTGl.png

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,415 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

I think you might find it's a whole lot more trouble than it's worth!  I've had a few molds run afoul of the oven - the molds don't win.  I suspect they could tolerate 160 F - but the advantage of silicone is that you can pop them out if they don't fall out - won't happen with polycarbonate.

#3 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

Yes, meringue can be nasty sticky stuff. I once (very inadvisedly) tried doing baby pavlovas in metal forms. Complete failure.

Kerry's the expert when it comes to how an acrylic mould might (or might not) behave in the oven, but if you're going to try it I'd suggest baking paper/parchment to prevent sticking.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#4 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,240 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

This may be insane even as a suggestion, but can meringues be made in a microwave oven (also, I'm assuming polycarbonate withstands microwave, correct)? The fact that cakes can be made in the microwave got me thinking.

• judiu likes this

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#5 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

I think there would be too much localised heat in a microwave, instead of a gentle overall heat, simply by the way a microwave works.

I'd send 'em back and get the silicon.

#6 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,415 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

I think that's wise!

#7 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

This may be insane even as a suggestion, but can meringues be made in a microwave oven (also, I'm assuming polycarbonate withstands microwave, correct)? The fact that cakes can be made in the microwave got me thinking.

You can, but I don't think that the result is the same.  I've got a recipe for floating islands cooked in the microwave, as it's supposed to give a "poached" texture.  However, when I tried it my meringues swelled up enormously then collapsed into sad little heaps.  In any case, you won't dehydrate them very effectively in there.

• judiu likes this

#8 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 743 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Decided to return these and look elsewhere for silicone. Only ones I can find available are in Washington, and I am located in CT and need them for a party next week. Anyone know of any sources for a 2" half sphere mold? Or I can just have it shipped overnight..

#9 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

Job prince has these

http://www.jbprince....ld-2-inches.asp

Could you use just the bottom piece?