Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Baking from "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza"

Bread Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#91 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

As a brand new baker, I'm trying to understand why all the recipes in this book are for two loaves?  (Other than that they're delicious.)  Is it that the ingredient amounts get too minute to measure?  We're a small household, and there's no way we'll go through the bread fast enough to avoid it going terribly stale.  Plus I want to bake more often, so that I have more chances to improve my technique before my memories of what worked last time are equally stale.  

I saw one person on this thread had halved the recipe to only make 1 loaf, but any advice you can offer on how to modify successfully would be hugely helpful.  

Thanks!

Most bread recipes are amenable to being halved or doubled. Simply divide the ingredients by 2. Rarely are any other changes needed.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#92 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,446 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Made a Forkish Pane de Campagne over here in the Cooking on a Big Green Egg thread.  

#93 Luke

Luke
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Another Ken Forkish convert. Started the Levain (from scatch) on Tuesday and followed it up with the Pain de Campagne on Sunday.

Levain was made with 40% whole wheat, 40% whole rye, 20% whole spelt ratios.

Awesome crumb and taste.

DSC05267 (Mobile).JPG

DSC05268 (Mobile).JPG

• janeer and DianaB like this

#94 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Luke,

Congratulations. That is one beautiful looking bread! I must get back to Forkish.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#95 dr_justice

dr_justice
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

Another convert here. Baked for the first time the overnight white on saturday morning, and my 3 year old was like "want more bread" all day long. I've never seen her want so much bread, ever.

#96 dr_justice

dr_justice
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

By the way, has anyone tried  the bacon bread in Ken Forkish's book?   I don't have the time or work schedule to make levain, which is what it calls for in the book. Anybody tried to incorporate the bacon in the overnight white bread?

Speaking of the Overnight White Bread, my work schedule would command that I need to cut about 3 hours from the whole process -- basically I am thinking I would need to bulk ferment for 9 hours instead of the required 12-14 hours.

Any suggestions for how I could/should accelerate this process?  More yeast? Warmer water?

#97 dr_justice

dr_justice
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

Space log E-2103.

Tried overnight white again.

Tried bread flour instead of AP, same brand, because I was out of AP.

Mixed in a tub as per Admiral Forkish's instruction (instead of a large concave bowl).

Reduced water temp 5 degrees to target 78 degrees (I was still off by a few).

Mistakenly baked at 450 for the first 30 minutes, at which point I remove the lid and go: "hey. Why the... Oh damn". Then bake for the the remaining 25 at 475.

The result of the experiment resulted in a thinner crust than anticipated.

As for the rest....

Oh.

Oh my.

Ooooooh. Moist. Flavorfoul. Perfect crumb texture.

Ooooooooooh.

Revelation.

Kirk out.

• Smithy and Steve Irby like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread, Cookbook