Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Baking from "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza"

Bread Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:40 AM

Made overnight whole wheat bread.  Except I made it "overday" on Friday.  Did not read the instructions carefully.  Apparently it needed to rise at room temperature for 5 hours, shaped and refrigerated after that.  Due to having to go to work (bummer) I had to adjust the schedule.  Mixed in the morning, put in refrigerator for about 10 hours, took out after work, let it rise at room temperature for couple of hours.

Somewhat dense but still very tasty.  I will have to make it the right way for comparison.

Attached Images

• IMG_0648.jpg

• Ann_T likes this

#62 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

I've done the same - given the dough it's 3 or 4 folds - then popped in the fridge overnight (or for the day).  Then brought to room temperature, shaped and either back in the fridge or on the counter for a couple of hours until it pokes as it should.  

#63 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

Levain pizza dough that I've had in the fridge for about a week and a half - used a cast iron griddle flat side in the oven as my pizza stone.  Much more satisfactory browning on the crust this time around.  

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

• demiglace and Ann_T like this

#64 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 982 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

Great looking pizza Kerry.   Good to know that you can leave the dough in the fridge that long. 

Am I the only one that doesn't like thumbnails?   When I click on the thumbnail the screen turns gray but the photo doesn't enlarge.

~Ann

#65 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

I really appreciate all of this discussion and illustration, which I'm following along even when I can't be near the oven. 

This weekend I've cracked the book twice. Friday night, I made the dough for the Overnight White Bread (using King Arthur AP flour) and then had to modify the plan due to three guests, aged 9, 17, and 35, unexpectedly coming over. So I switched up and made the dough into five pizzas. No photos -- production was a bit harried -- but a few takeaways: 

-- If you're experienced with shaping and tossing storebought or industrial (non-artisanal) dough, note that this dough is far more gassed than quick doughs. I think Forkish's recommendation to keep in as much air gas as possible makes sense for novices likely to roll it all out, but I respected the gas to the nth degree on the first two pies and got crazy spring and air in the oven. The last three I admit to squeezing out a few bubbles here and there, especially at the edges, and got a more reasonable edge crust. 

-- I kept the balls in the fridge (really on the very cold porch) and they were extremely workable, very easy to get thin. However, I was consistently making pies that were bigger than 12", prompting me to plan next time to create six and not five balls of dough. 

-- As others have mentioned, I regularly precook the ingredients and try to keep things as dry as possible. One good technique is to put sliced mushrooms into the microwave for a couple of minutes between paper towels, which dries them out significantly. 

Today I'm making the bread I need for the week using the Saturday White Bread recipe for the first time. Does anyone know why Forkish only calls for two folds? I've been doing three on the other breads. 

• teapot likes this
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#66 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Here's that Saturday bread (made Sunday): 

Saturday bread.jpg

Before I started baking from this book I'd have said this was a pretty good loaf. But the flavor development and density don't come close to the overnight loaves. Still, it'll make for good toast, croutons, and grilled cheese. 

• demiglace, Ann_T and rotuts like this
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#67 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

Saturday bread made as a present for neighbors who invited us over for dinner.

Attached Images

• Image 4.jpg

#68 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

So, finally got around to trying this, started with the Saturday bread, but made it with 680 Sonoran white wheat 00; 110 first clear from KA; and 110 organic Red Mill dark rye, with 80% hydration because it seemed so dry.  All was well until I went to put it in the oven and boom, we had a power outage (huge storm here, first rain in months) that lasted about 45 min. I had to refrigerate it. When the power came back on, had to wait for oven to preheat...here it is. All things considered, not bad...a bit overproofed...or...who knows. Flavor pretty good, but I think if just made with all a-p I would be underwhelmed. I had divided the other half of the dough, proofed half of that overnight in fridge, then turned it over into my iron crepe pan and baked it..should have slashed top but forgot. Was fine baking in an open pan.

Maybe it was worth it? Ran outside to snap this rainbow.Rainbow1 compressed.jpg

Attached Images

• Forkish bread baked compressed.jpg

• demiglace, Ann_T, curls and 1 other like this

#69 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

Here is the Harvest Bread with Poolish. I used pumpernickel instead of whole wheat, but did use wheat germ. Increased hydration a little--just because I do. I think is very good, and a breeze to make. I again dumped one of the loaves onto my iron crepe pan and baked uncovered; this works great and if you are in a hurry, is done in about 30 min; crust gets very dark although not as pretty as in pot.The loaf shown was baked in the dutch oven for 45 min. 

Harvest baked comp.jpg

Harvest sliced comp.jpg

#70 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

A few additional notes. I've converted to three, not two, dutch ovens, as the ones I've cobbled together are a bit smaller than the 4.5 quart ones Forkish recommends. Not surprisingly, I'm getting much better spring and thus better bread. I've also been experimenting with the outer limits of the triple rise, given that we have a cold (~60F usually) New England kitchen and thus a lot of room for error. More time = better bread, unsurprisingly. 

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#71 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

image.jpg

Saturday bread with "ears"! Happened when the dough got hung up on the edge of the Dutch oven.

image.jpg

Close up of the ears. Blame it on the Hanky Panky cocktail I had this afternoon. I admire people who can drink and cook.
  • Ann_T likes this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#72 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

A few additional notes. I've converted to three, not two, dutch ovens, as the ones I've cobbled together are a bit smaller than the 4.5 quart ones Forkish recommends. Not surprisingly, I'm getting much better spring and thus better bread. I've also been experimenting with the outer limits of the triple rise, given that we have a cold (~60F usually) New England kitchen and thus a lot of room for error. More time = better bread, unsurprisingly.

Chris,
I have also improved my oven spring but by taking much more time and attention to detail when "tightening" my boules. Three Dutch ovens would be great. How did you cobble them together?

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#73 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

I must say, the bread you all make from FWSY is stunning.

I hope one day to move in this direction, but first I need a 'pot' w lid that can fit in my BV-XL Toaster-Boy.

I have a Lodge 10 1/2 " cast iron pot, but it wont fit in w the cast iron lid.

if anyone can think of a cast iron or other suitable pot that would work in the BV so I can make this bread

Id be grateful for that info and tips.

:biggrin:

#74 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

I must say, the bread you all make from FWSY is stunning.

I hope one day to move in this direction, but first I need a 'pot' w lid that can fit in my BV-XL Toaster-Boy.

I have a Lodge 10 1/2 " cast iron pot, but it wont fit in w the cast iron lid.

if anyone can think of a cast iron or other suitable pot that would work in the BV so I can make this bread

Id be grateful for that info and tips.

:biggrin:

I have a small enamelled cast iron lidded casserole which fits fine but, of course, it would make a very small loaf. I would be happy to test this out for you but not sure how it would benefit you unless you could find a similar sized receptacle. But if you think an experiment would help I'd be happy to oblige.

My 2004 eG Blog

#75 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

thank you  thats very kind.

Ill take a rain check until I find the container that fits my BV.

then Ill take you up on that.

I dont mind a small loaf, as its better than no loaf at all

my Home Made ( Machine ) bread is fine for toast and sandiwiches.

not so good with dinner and of course

Cheese !

#76 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Chris,
I have also improved my oven spring but by taking much more time and attention to detail when "tightening" my boules. Three Dutch ovens would be great. How did you cobble them together?

Good point about tightening the boules. I've been pretty devout about that, too. 

As for the dutch ovens, the three I have are shown here: 

3 dutch ovens.jpg

The blue is a Le Creuset 2 quart; the red is a LC 2.5 quart cocotte; the yellow is a Descoware 2 quart. I think that the blue LC is significantly smaller than the other two, perhaps because of the height of the Descoware lid. So I use about 25% of the dough for that, and split the rest between the Descoware and the cocotte. 

Edited by Chris Amirault, 21 March 2014 - 05:49 PM.

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#77 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

Good point about tightening the boules. I've been pretty devout about that, too. 

As for the dutch ovens, the three I have are shown here: 

attachicon.gif3 dutch ovens.jpg

The blue is a Le Creuset 2 quart; the red is a LC 2.5 quart cocotte; the yellow is a Descoware 2 quart. I think that the blue LC is significantly smaller than the other two, perhaps because of the height of the Descoware lid. So I use about 25% of the dough for that, and split the rest between the Descoware and the cocotte.

Thanks, Chris. Who knew? I can pull together a very similar collection:

image.jpg

Orange is 2.75 qt, brown is 2 qt and blue is 3 pint. So I will need to find appropriate proofing vessels and I should be good to go. I have used one of these in the past but never all three.

(rotuts: all of these are thrift shop finds and each will fit in the Breville XL.)

My 2004 eG Blog

#78 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

The top from one of those rotisserie chickens lined with a white towel would work for a proofing vessel for the oval ones.

#79 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

Anna, I think those would work even better. And good point, Kerry, about the oval chicken tops. We have bannetons in the house -- Xmas presents to my wife that sat unused for several years -- and though they are circular it's easy enough to place the proofed dough into the oval oven without difficulty. But proofing to the proper shape would probably allow a gentler touch. 

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#80 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

IMG_1121.jpg

I've discovered that a pair of bamboo chopsticks serve well for the initial mixing of the levain - and also for the autolyse.  

IMG_1122.jpg

Today's loaves - levain with some rye and some pumpernickel flour.  Got myself a new bread knife - what a treat to motor though the bottom crust.  

#81 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

What kind of bread knife is that, Kerry? 

Here are three overnight whole wheat loaves, going pretty much by the book: 

ww 2.jpg

ww 1.jpg

Really happy with how these turned out: great crust and crumb, excellent flavor. I think we'll rotate back and forth between these and the white as our weekly breads. 

Now that I have the basics down and am developing a feel for the different steps, I'm wondering why I was so apprehensive about bread-making in the first place. This book rocks. 

• janeer likes this
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#82 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

Those look great Chris.

Knife is a Victorianox Fibrox.

#83 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

IMG_1144.jpg

Just pulled these out of the oven - about 5 minutes before I have to leave for work.  

About 100 g of rye flour, 50 grams rye groats, some caraway seeds and 24 hour old levain.  Added extra regular yeast since I needed them ready to go in time for work.

#84 Pallee

Pallee
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

Happy to have found this thread. I've been baking from this book since it came out, so fun to see everyone's bread. I recently started adding cooked grains to my dough. Here I sprouted a cup of spelt, then boiled it for 12 minutes, cooked cornmeal and amaranth seeds and added them. Also went up to 50% whole wheat flour. Loved the results.image.jpg
  • janeer and rotuts like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread, Cookbook