Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What to do with hibiscus flowers in syrup?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

I picked up a jar of hibiscus flowers in syrup (made in Australia). Thought it might be interesting in a ganache, but find it is very mild. Any ideas what to do with it to punch it up?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#2 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

I have only used dried flowers and usually for hibiscus soup with guava sorbet.  you could try infusing with cream both dried and syrup.  The times I have seen the syrup I felt it was over sweeten in the syrup.  I would be a little worried about the sugar content using the syrup,  my two cents

#3 pep.

pep.
  • society donor
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

The flowers and the syrup work very well in conjunction with some sparkling wine. The combination makes for a nice apéritif.

#4 bethesdabakers

bethesdabakers
  • participating member
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hibiscus margaritas!

Mick Hartley
The PArtisan Baker
bethesdabakers
"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

#5 Jocogirlie

Jocogirlie
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

I am with bethesdabakers.. Make hibiscus margaritas!

#6 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

The flowers and the syrup work very well in conjunction with some sparkling wine. The combination makes for a nice apéritif.

This. Apparently, anyway. I'm not guilty of indulging in them.

I know the product you're talking about. Small jar. Red label, right? Well, red flower on black. From memory, anyway. All Australian bottle shops sell that product. The idea is you drop the flowers into sparkling wine/bargain basement Champagne. I guess you could maybe work them into something like a Kir. I guess you could maybe even experiment with putting them into some sort of white wine-based granita/ice.

I couldn't imagine doing much else with them.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#7 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Funny you should ask. I borrowed a book from my public library today, Cooking With Flowers by Miche Bacher, a confectioner. Bacher suggests mixing hibiscus syrup with champagne (2 cups hibiscus syrup, 2 cups champagne) for grown-up popsicles. You can also whip it with cream for hibiscus whipped cream.