Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
565 replies to this topic

#61 Max101

Max101
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Bacon with scrambled eggs that were loaded with lots of green pepper and onion.

#62 huiray

huiray
  • participating member
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Lunch today:

• White asparagus, seared in a hot pan w/ a little oil & sea salt.  With some bunapi-shimeji (white beech) mushrooms, tossed in the pan after doing the asparagus.  Dressed w/ finely sliced Napa cabbage heart & scallions (green part only). 

• Coarse Braunschweiger, Zungenwurst & Westphalian Ham [all from Claus' German Sausage & Meats]; with semolina bread [Amelia's] (& butter).

DSCN0869a_800.jpg

DSCN0874a_800.jpg

• demiglace, Shelby, menuinprogress and 3 others like this

#63 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

I skipped breakfast this morning and had this for lunch. Not very healthy, but really tasty!

image.jpg

Toasted English muffin, pork sausage patty and country gravy.
  • demiglace, Shelby and Eliot Roberts like this

#64 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Vegetable kofte, basmati rice, garlic pickle and mango lassi.

I need to really re-evaluate a couple of carts based on work lunches in the past few days.

#65 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

image.jpg

Caesar salad topped with two slices of crispy bacon.
  • demiglace, Shelby, robirdstx and 1 other like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#66 huiray

huiray
  • participating member
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

• Simple deep-fried soft tofu slices, fairly thin.  Finely cut raw Napa cabbage heart.  Lingham's Hot Sauce mixed w/ fresh lime juice & chopped de-seeded hot long green chilli.

• Fried rice, with sliced pork belly, garlic, Chinese chive flowers, scallions, sliced negiMore details in the pork belly cook-off thread.

DSCN0907a_800.jpg

DSCN0913a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray, 18 March 2014 - 08:49 PM.

• Shelby likes this

#67 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

Using some of the leftover corned beef from last Monday's St. Patrick's Day dinner:

image.jpg

Corned Beef, Baby Swiss, Lettuce and Tomato Wrap
  • demiglace and Shelby like this

#68 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

image.jpg

One day I'll get drummed out of eG. Bought some canned mushrooms yesterday. Not sure what came over me but not so long ago my pantry was never without a few cans. Nostalgia? Anyway there they were and I was determined to use them. Washed them long and hard. Drained and dried as much as possible. Sauteed in ghee with garlic. Pan deglazed with some dry sherry and then a little cream. Mushrooms and sauce put in small baking dish along with some more of the Costco chicken and showered with grated Comte. Baked 400 F for 10 minutes. Doubt many would have guessed that the mushrooms were canned. Can spare a few inches of pantry space for a can or two.
  • demiglace, Shelby, rotuts and 1 other like this

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#69 huiray

huiray
  • participating member
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

Anna N,

There is no reason to be skittish about canned mushrooms, in my view - and eG purists can fulminate all they want. (Smile, folks)  I use them myself without any injury to my senses or person or idea of self. :-) I definitely have them in my pantry.  I think they're just fine for what they are and for the occasions that call for them, whether as straw mushrooms in a convenient form, or standard mushrooms or whatnot.  In fact, the taste of canned or bottled (OK those may be better) standard mushrooms in a dish or even by themselves (e.g. when pickled) are treated by me as a "separate taste" from blazingly fresh mushrooms which some may aver are all that they allow to cross their lips. ;-) :-) 

My two cents.

p.s. Why wash them so hard?  They won't become "fresh mushrooms" by washing them, they just are. :-)

• Eliot Roberts likes this

#70 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Anna N,

There is no reason to be skittish about canned mushrooms, in my view - and eG purists can fulminate all they want. (Smile, folks)  I use them myself without any injury to my senses or person or idea of self. :-) I definitely have them in my pantry.  I think they're just fine for what they are and for the occasions that call for them, whether as straw mushrooms in a convenient form, or standard mushrooms or whatnot.  In fact, the taste of canned or bottled (OK those may be better) standard mushrooms in a dish or even by themselves (e.g. when pickled) are treated by me as a "separate taste" from blazingly fresh mushrooms which some may aver are all that they allow to cross their lips. ;-) :-) 

My two cents.

p.s. Why wash them so hard?  They won't become "fresh mushrooms" by washing them, they just are. :-)

I'm guessing you couldn't quite see my tongue in my cheek. I gave up canned mushrooms when I was trapped by a food-snob web but I've fought my way out! I washed them to reduce the sodium as much as I could and to get rid of that faint metallic taste. I so agree that mushrooms and canned mushrooms are two different vegetables each of which can shine under the right circumstances. Always appreciate your input. Anna
  • Eliot Roberts likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#71 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

image.jpg

Stir-fried romaine lettuce with meatballs.
  • scubadoo97 likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#72 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Pork confit on sourdough.  The pork was confited four months ago at the start of Cook-Off #64. Finally got around to that corner of the refrigerator today.  

P1020644(1).JPG

• demiglace and Eliot Roberts like this

#73 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

image.jpg

Soup. Turkey broth simmered with ginger, garlic and some soy sauce before adding frozen, homemade shrimp and pork wontons, zucchini "noodles" and some romaine. Finished with a smidgen of MSG and a slick or two of toasted sesame oil.
  • scubadoo97, demiglace, Shelby and 1 other like this

My 2004 eG Blog

#74 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Wow

""  homemade shrimp and pork wontons  ""

good for you !   :biggrin:

I buy the stuff frozen at the Chinese Emporium  'Prime Foods' and consider myself lucky !

do you grate frozen ginger ? from the 'hand'   revelational for me !

Kudos your way !

#75 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Huiray, your meals are always visually stunning and look delicious. And from Indy no less

Looks better than anything I've ever seen at a Chinese restaurant

#76 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Wow

""  homemade shrimp and pork wontons  ""

good for you !   :biggrin:

I buy the stuff frozen at the Chinese Emporium  'Prime Foods' and consider myself lucky !

do you grate frozen ginger ? from the 'hand'   revelational for me !

Kudos your way !

Oh so easy! Use Ming Tsai's recipe. Make a large batch and freeze. Here just thin slices of fresh ginger (ginger and garlic fished out before other ingredients added). I also buy the wontons but home made are better. Always have frozen ginger on hand for grating.

My 2004 eG Blog

#77 jvalentino

jvalentino
  • participating member
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Pizza. 24hr room temp dough, provolone, fresh mozz and homemade pepperoni. Baked in a pan and finished on the stone so it was nice and crunchy. image.jpg
  • scubadoo97, demiglace, Shelby and 3 others like this

#78 huiray

huiray
  • participating member
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Aw shucks, scubadoo.  Thanks.

----------------------

Lunch yesterday:

• Spanokopita [Grecian Garden, Indy City Market] with scallion & cucumber pickles.

• Toscana [Sapori Italia], Taleggio [Ciresa], Salemville Blue cheeses [last two from Goose the Market]; fresh baguette.

DSCN0954a_800.jpg

DSCN0957a_800.jpg

----------------------

Lunch today:

• Fresh White Pacific shrimp [Bedrock Springs Seafood Farm] stir-fried w/ garlic, ginger, scallions, hot long green chillies, & a savory sauce.

• Lotus root & bamboo shoot soup.§

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN0963b_800.jpg

A mixture of (hon) mirin [Takara], "Aged Gourmet Rice Vinegar" (陳年酢) [Kong Yen], several dashes of black sesame oil, chicken stock.

§Thickly-sliced scrubbed fresh lotus root, bamboo shoots [First World Brand] blanched for a few minutes then drained & cut up, rehydrated de-stemmed small dried Chinese mushrooms (tung koo), the mushroom soaking water, cut-up skin-on chicken breast, a 1/3 inch thick slice of Jamón Serrano cut up into chunks, water, Himalayan salt.  The Jamón Serrano served as a substitute for Jinhua Ham.

The stuff for the shrimp dish:

DSCN0961a_800.jpg

Additional pics:

DSCN0969b_800.jpg

DSCN0967b_800.jpg

• demiglace, Shelby and Eliot Roberts like this

#79 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

image.jpg

Chicken salad with olives and a sun-dried tomato dressing.
  • demiglace, gfweb and Shelby like this

My 2004 eG Blog

#80 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

AnnaN:  everything you make looks delicious.

it becomes redundant  to select the " like this " button.

so from now on, consider it selected.

#81 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

AnnaN:  everything you make looks delicious.

it becomes redundant  to select the " like this " button.

so from now on, consider it selected.

Why thank you. But don't be so hasty! Like everyone I have my share of failures and sometimes photos do lie. Things can look delicious but be totally devoid of flavour! Think of all those carefully styled Big Macs. WE NEED A TASTE APP.

My 2004 eG Blog

#82 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

Big Mac's  when piping hot are very tasty.  the cheese has to be melted.

they are designed to be just so, so you get addicted, and keep coming back.  For the Fix.

noting to do with beef though...

it's very unwise to take one home, still warm, and micro it for 30 sec and then gobble it up.

fortunately at the Arches they never deliver them in this state.

Edited by rotuts, 25 March 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#83 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

BTW  posting 'failures' is probably more helpful than just 'successes'  one can learn a lot from them.

I dont post mine :  the CCD on the Sony would probably just burn right out.   smoke would come from my computer  etc etc

:blink:

• gfweb likes this

#84 huiray

huiray
  • participating member
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Yesterday's lunch - Fried Rice. 

Cut-up yellow tofu stir-fried w/ garlic in peanut oil & "Luscious Soy Paste" [Kimlan].  Reserved.  Sliced-up Napa cabbage, hot long green chillies, large-type green onion ("tai chung"/negi) tossed around in a hot pan w/ chopped smashed garlic in vegetable oil.  Three eggs (beaten w/ ground black pepper, some vegetable oil & some water) poured in, allowed to set a bit.  Stuff tossed scrambled around.  Two-day-old Basmati rice added in.  The reserved tofu slices went back in.  Tossed around w/ spatula till done.  Plated w/ deep-fried shallots & coriander leaves.

DSCN0970a_800.jpg

DSCN0974a_800.jpg

DSCN0984a_800.jpg

• demiglace and gfweb like this

#85 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Split and toasted small sub-type roll, spread with Dijon and topped with some lightly smoked cracked pepper sardines from a tin, eaten open faced. Atulfo mango, perfectly ripe, for dessert.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#86 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Italian Potstickers. Filled with pork, basil pesto and parmigiano reg, in a blush sauce with a hint of balsamic.

italian dumplings1.jpg

• Blether and Okanagancook like this

#87 huiray

huiray
  • participating member
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Italian Potstickers. Filled with pork, basil pesto and parmigiano reg, in a blush sauce with a hint of balsamic.

attachicon.gifitalian dumplings1.jpg

That's interesting, gfweb.  Sounds quite delicious.  Could you spare a bit more detail?  Pork - minced pork? Any particular kind?  What seasonings, if any?  Basil pesto = "regular"/standard-type pesto (w/ cheese in it already)(what kind?) ?  Blush sauce - could you say a little  more?

#88 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

image.jpg

Sometimes in the interest of improved mental health I leap off the low carb wagon and today was one of those days. Grey skies and drizzle can do something to those of us just emerging from one of the worst winters in decades. We deserve better.

Home made baguette topped with smoked cheddar (thanks Kerry Beal) and pate with beets and cukes. Didn't bring the sun out but reminded me that life still has promise.
  • PattyO likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#89 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

That's interesting, gfweb.  Sounds quite delicious.  Could you spare a bit more detail?  Pork - minced pork? Any particular kind?  What seasonings, if any?  Basil pesto = "regular"/standard-type pesto (w/ cheese in it already)(what kind?) ?  Blush sauce - could you say a little  more?

An improvisation.  It was tasty indeed.  Next time I'm going to put in more than a few drops of balsamic or maybe sriracha to the sauce.

4 tbsp Ground pork + 1.5 to 2 tbsp prepared basil pesto + 2 Tbsp grated parm...salt and pepper.

Won ton wrappers made to look like a gyoza

Sauce was a few Tbsp Barilla jar sauce with a splash of heavy cream and a few drops of balsamic.

#90 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

There is room for improvement