Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Favorite Crackers

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:50 AM

I was interested in what people do with the broken crackers that appear when you open a bag or box.

But what are your favorite crackers?

I like Triscuits (original), Stoned Wheat Thins, and Carr's plain.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

Ak Mak is my all time favourite - I like Vinta as well when I need one with more flavour of it's own.

#3 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

You know, I was thinking about Finn Crisp's and Ak Maks, which I like a lot - I often have them for an afternoon snack with a bit of cheese or hummus.  But I really never put them out when I'm having company; they just seem, well, too healthy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#4 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

Indeed - Ak Mak are difficult to find - I have had to bring them back from Trader Joes - so I hoard them for myself!

#5 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

Indeed - Ak Mak are difficult to find - I have had to bring them back from Trader Joes - so I hoard them for myself!

Just thinking to myself...gosh, I used to love Ak Mak crackers but haven't seen them in years.

Tried Mary's Crackers.  Loved them.  My S-i-L said: are you crazy?  You can't eat those kind of crackers at your age!  She was right.  Broke a tooth.  Obviously the tooth was not a well tooth, but maybe it could have lasted a few more years.  End of eating Mary's crackers.

DH used to love Stoned Wheat Thins but says they have changed the formula and now they are a disappointment.  We are ISO a replacement favorite cracker for him. 

I usually eat the softest variations of the WASA and Ryvita crackers.  And they are not put out for company.  Too large and too healthy! 

• SylviaLovegren likes this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#6 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

Ak Mak and Finn-crisp are nice, but come in tiny boxes.

For me, Ritz is great. The standard by which all others are measured. Only downside is their QC, which is terrible. All sorts of mutant crackers show up in a box of Ritz.

• judiu and ElsieD like this

#7 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 988 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Love the original Wheat Thins but the formula in Canada is different (!!!) so don't buy them here.  We get a thin crisp rice cracker that we like a lot but no one else seems to, judging from the leftovers at our soirees.  The very thinnest Finn Crisp rye crackers are lovely but hard to find.  Ditto Ak Mak.

Thinking about it, I don't like most of the cracker offerings available to us, at least the ones I know of.  Most seem to have too strong a character of their own, overwhelming the cheese/paste/meat things that go atop them, or have an unpleasant cardboard texture -- except the commercial ones loaded with weird fats. 

I will read others' favorite suggestions hopefully!

#8 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

Jacob's Cream Crackers The cracking cracker of all crackers. Although I prefer Scottish oatcakes.

#9 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

Blue Diamond Almond Nut-Thins - Smokehouse is my favorite flavor.

#10 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 709 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Ritz.

#11 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

gfweb wrote: ". All sorts of mutant crackers show up in a box of Ritz."

Wow!  I eat these all the time (they're my go-to cracker) and I've never run into this.

These days I buy the square-ish box with the smaller tubes of crackers - less staling.

#12 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Love the original Wheat Thins but the formula in Canada is different (!!!) so don't buy them here. 

Stoned Wheat Thins originated in Canada.  They are available in some places in the States also.  We have bought them in Utah for years but haven't been back since the Canadian formula changed.  So I can't say about the current state of the cracker in the USA.

• SylviaLovegren likes this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#13 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

gfweb wrote: ". All sorts of mutant crackers show up in a box of Ritz."

Wow!  I eat these all the time (they're my go-to cracker) and I've never run into this.

These days I buy the square-ish box with the smaller tubes of crackers - less staling.

Huh. I get folded-over ritz and flat sided ones every few boxes.

#14 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

Hands down my favorite are from Trader Joe's: What used to be called the "Entertainer" cracker, and was discontinued, then reintroduced a year or so later as "Some Enchanted Cracker: multigrain crackers perfect for entertaining" and now seem to be permanently stocked.

They're fairly big and substantial, perfectly crispy and crackery, they don't feel greasy (as some crackers can), and they taste awesome.  

#15 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

While I can't say that these are our absolute favorite crackers, we do like these crackers from Trader Joe's quite a bit and buy them frequently.

.... Shel

#16 Unpopular Poet

Unpopular Poet
  • society donor
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

My guilty pleasure crackers are Triscuits.  Plain old regular Triscuits.  Just the right amount of oily, salty, crispy I need.  

#17 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

I was interested in what people do with the broken crackers that appear when you open a bag or box.

But what are your favorite crackers?

I like Triscuits (original), Stoned Wheat Thins, and Carr's plain.

that is more or less the default threesome when I put cheese/crackers out for company...for plain eating Triscuits.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#18 natasha1270

natasha1270
  • participating member
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Kirkland Ancient Grains Crackers & Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar are the only Costco sampled products I've ever brought home with me. I like them so much I've actually repurchased them many times. Stoned Wheat Thins used to be my go to.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

#19 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

Ak Maks and Finn Crisps. I used to get some crackers that came as an enormous wheel, but, I haven't seen those in a while. I haven't put out crackers for entertaining in a while, back when I did there was a Trader's Joe's cracked wheat kind that I liked. (IIRC, the box art showed them sparkling?)

I think I would have put out Ak Maks more, but, never remembered to buy multiple boxes. Also, Ak Maks and Finn Crisps are really pretty large. Smaller crackers seem neater for parties. I think I thought about breaking some in half and dressing them in advance but never actually did it.

#20 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 988 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

Love the original Wheat Thins but the formula in Canada is different (!!!) so don't buy them here. 

Stoned Wheat Thins originated in Canada.  They are available in some places in the States also.  We have bought them in Utah for years but haven't been back since the Canadian formula changed.  So I can't say about the current state of the cracker in the USA.

Not "Stoned Wheat Thins" which taste the same on both sides of the border, but the Nabisco (Canada Christie) Wheat Thins. 

• Darienne likes this

#21 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 709 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

I just discovered crackers by the name of Biscottatini, under the D'Italiano label. They come in two flavours - Olive Oil and Salt and the other one is Garlic and Parsley. They might remind one of Paris Toasts but these are way better in that even on their own they are very good. They are not as dense as Paris Toasts which makes them a "softer" cracker if that is the right word for it. We are on our third bag and I only discovered them last week! I don't know who all carries them but I found them at Loblaw's.

#22 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Mariner Water Crackers:
http://www.venuswafe...iscuit-company/

So much better than the Carr's that I used to buy.

Also bought a box of corn crackers at Whole Foods that I really like.

Ritz, Wheat Thins and Triscuits are all pretty good, too.

#23 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Must have cracker: La Panzanella Croccantini. The plain original is great for any kind of cheese or spread or pate. With various cheeses and spreads I like to serve a mix of baguette slices and these crackers. If no fresh baguette is available, like it's a holiday or something, these are indispensable. The fennel is great too, but I don't usually snack on crackers if I can help it. I am also very fond of various Italian olive oil puffy crackers, but they are a splurge and dangerous if they are in the house. If I was big on cracker snacking croccantini would get pricey.

#24 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Raincoast Crisps. Carr's salt and proper flatbreads. There is nothing like wheat thins with cream cheese or Truscuits with hot crab dip.
  • FauxPas likes this

#25 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

Craqueñas Integrales from Columbina, Salticas and Siluet Integral con Miel from Superior. When a box of Triscuits costs more than $5, you buy local.
  • MelissaH likes this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#26 Max101

Max101
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

I like chicken in a biscuit crackers.  I have used them for a few different recipes that I have and it really makes the dishes mouthwatering.

#27 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'm with janeer, I absolutely adore Lesley Stowe's Raincoast Crisps! If you're unfamiliar with them, here's a link:

http://www.lesleysto...m/#/the-crisps/

I made a version of these once with a friend and they were delicious. A lot of ingredients and quite a bit of work, though. And now I can't find the recipe we used, but I see there are others online.  

Edited by FauxPas, 09 March 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#28 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Must have cracker: La Panzanella Croccantini.

If I was big on cracker snacking croccantini would get pricey.

Ditto & ditto.  I like the Rosemary one too, the Black Pepper slightly less; but the Plain one is best.

So - I usually get the house brand (Fresh Market) of whole-grain seeded Lavash crackers.