Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Fresh-tasting citrus ganaches (how are they done?)

Chocolate Confections

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HQAntithesis

HQAntithesis
  • participating member
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

Has anyone ever tasted a really good fresh-tasting citrus ganache?  I have once.  It was a lime bonbon made by Franck-Fresson over in France.  Unfortunately, now every citrus ganache since then has tasted, well, old.

Does anyone has any idea how these are done?  I've gone as far as adding freshly squeezed lime juice to a zest-infused ganache (calculated with a slightly lower fat percentage than usual so the fat doesn't inhibit the flavour too much) and found that they still couldn't compare.

Help? :shock:

#2 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

Volatile oils and zest.  You can get some good natural volatile oils, a bit of cream of tarttar helps with the acidity.

#3 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:38 AM

Hi, 

you could try to add a pinch or two of citric acid to boost the sharpness/freshness

#4 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,397 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

I make buttercreams for citrus - fondant, butter, juice/puree, essential oil or zest, citric acid.

Whoops - and some white chocolate.

Edited by Kerry Beal, 02 February 2014 - 03:45 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate, Confections