Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Super Bowl 2014 -- Feast mode!

Condiments Bread

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

So excited that our Seattle Seahawks are in the Super Bowl this year! What are people making? Any Seahawk fans planning a Seattle-inspired menu? One that doesn't involve any last minute cooking?

I'm making sourdough bread and bacon/onion jam to go with someone's beef tenderloin. To bring in some Seattle touches, we'll have smoked salmon, a Northwest berry cobbler. And as a nod to Seahawk colors: blue corn chips and guacamole.

There'll be IPAs of course (Seattle's a very hopped up city)but I'm also trying to come up with a clever cocktail - or hawktail (I've thought of making blue rock candy to use as a sugar rim on a sage margarita).
  • Shelby likes this

#2 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Woot!  We're hosting a small gathering this year, half a dozen people, only cuz the Seahawks are in.

I think I'm going to make a chili as the main dish and throw some coffee in there.  Maybe gyoza or teriyaki wings.  Smoked salmon or shrimp cocktail.  I still need a veg salad - probably Caesar salad.

For drinks, Northwest-style pale ale (it'll be local B.C. micro, though) and I dunno...margarita with blue curacao???  Starbucks coffee with dessert?

• teapot likes this

#3 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Starbucks coffee with dessert?

Why not? I was thinking affogato.

#4 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

Are you gonna make Seachicken wings? :raz: 

Seriously though, I don't have a dog in this years fight but it's football so I'll be watching. Haven't decided on the food yet. I tend to keep my football food to beer and stuff that can sit around on plates to be eaten as desired but I'm trying to convince myself to do a little more this time.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#5 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 492 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

I am not doing anything for the super bowl or probably even watching it but, I have been having an urge to make Taquitos lately.  This would be a good super bowl dish. 

#6 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

Huge Broncos fan here!!!!  I'm brining a chicken tonight to make fried chicken.  That's as far as I've gotten.  It's just two of us, but I'm going to make a ton of food and cheer my team on :)  

#7 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 897 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Broncos fan as well, because I am a Tennessean and Peyton Manning is Da Man. Munchy stuff at my house for three or four of us. Beer candied bacon. Fingerling potatoes topped with cream cheese and caviar. A big loaf of rye bread with pastrami and cheese baked inside it, and maybe some red cabbage on the side. Something sweet, yet to be determined. 

Nobody gives a rat about the ballgame but me, but they'll all eat the goodies.

• judiu, Shelby and teapot like this
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#8 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

So Broncos fans, I'm trying to think of any food that Denver is known for ... rocky mountain oysters?
  • judiu and Shelby like this

#9 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

So Broncos fans, I'm trying to think of any food that Denver is known for ... rocky mountain oysters?

Hmmmm…..good question!  Here I was just trying to think of some blue and orange foods I could make :)  First thing that comes to mind is a Denver omelette.  Oh and Fat Tire beer is brewed there, I believe.  I'll keep thinking.  OH and I'll ask mom, she still lives in Colorado.

#10 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

Coors

available everywhere Beer is Sold.

from Golden, CO  just a hike north of denver.

#11 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Hmmmm…..good question!  Here I was just trying to think of some blue and orange foods I could make :)  First thing that comes to mind is a Denver omelette.  Oh and Fat Tire beer is brewed there, I believe.  I'll keep thinking.  OH and I'll ask mom, she still lives in Colorado.

Spanish tortilla-style Denver omelette, maybe?  Put it on slices of baguette?

• Shelby likes this

#12 stckciv

stckciv
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

You could always make a Pueblo Slopper, that's close enough to Denver. I was thinking of making some Slopper sliders.

Double fry chicken wings, lil smokies are one the menu as well.

#13 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

"Rocky Mountains High" brownies? Red River chili? John Denver milk punch? Colorado basically means "red", so make of that what you will! %)
  • Shelby and teapot like this
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#14 IBuchanan

IBuchanan
  • general member
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Rooting for the Seahawks here! Definitely going for chicken wings with some awesome sauce! Super Bowl NEEDS chicken wings!

#15 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

don't you NE folks have 

Red Hook ?

one might might develop a thirst ??

a loosing thirst ???

#16 thatchairlady

thatchairlady
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

No plans for a party at my house.  BUT planning to make something for GREAT nextdoor neighbor who ALWAYS rescues me when we get snow!  He NICELY yells at me to go back inside when I come out with snow shovel & flat out refuses any monetary payment... even for his boys who he puts to work!  Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT!  Made a riff on that with "taco" bread.  Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

#17 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

That's something I haven't had in a long time... might have to think about doing that myself.

• judiu likes this
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#18 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT!  Made a riff on that with "taco" bread.  Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

I'm making bacon levain from "Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt".
  • judiu likes this

#19 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

No plans for a party at my house.  BUT planning to make something for GREAT nextdoor neighbor who ALWAYS rescues me when we get snow!  He NICELY yells at me to go back inside when I come out with snow shovel & flat out refuses any monetary payment... even for his boys who he puts to work!  Have made pepperoni bread in past... a HIT!  Made a riff on that with "taco" bread.  Maybe a big fat muffaletta sandwich... for the sports fans!?!

I think a muffaletta sounds like the perfect thing!!!!  I wish you were my neighbor :)

• judiu and SylviaLovegren like this

#20 bonkboo

bonkboo
  • participating member
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

Perfect mashup: Cannabis smoked salmon.
  • scubadoo97 and teapot like this

#21 larryroohr

larryroohr
  • participating member
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

You could always make a Pueblo Slopper, that's close enough to Denver. I was thinking of making some Slopper sliders.

Double fry chicken wings, lil smokies are one the menu as well.

Thanks for the slopper reminder stckciv, best thing to eat in Colorado, pity anyone who hasn't had the pleasure.

Pueblo's two hours away so I don't get down to Gray's Tavern often, and my attempts at replicating the chili have never come close.

But, Kenji has done his Kenji thing with it, so I'm going to give it another try for the stuporbowl. Here's the link for anyone else so inclined:

http://aht.seriousea...i-colorado.html

• stckciv likes this

#22 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Perfect mashup: Cannabis smoked salmon.

You know it's done when it's "flakey"
  • judiu and rotuts like this

#23 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

I picked up  a bag of Rancho Gordo Yellow Eyed beans.recently.  Time to do something wth them.  Will work it into the game day menu.  The bean soup with torn bread recipe I found online looks like  a good starting place.

#24 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

You see this everywhere if you Google, "Americans to Eat 1.25 Billion Chicken Wings for Super Bowl XLVIII"

So that works out to be 337 wings per person, new borne babies included? May be my abacus needs new batteries.

dcarch

#25 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

Yep.  needs new batteries :

"""   That's nearly four wings for every man, woman and child in America  """

http://www.mlive.com..._americans.html

Edited by rotuts, 02 February 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#26 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

We picked the right IPA for Superbowl Sunday! BTW, that's "Gohawkamole" (blue corn chips and apple-studded quacamole) in the background.

Denver...what the heck were you guys drinking?

Attached Images

• total domination.jpg

• bokreta likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Condiments, Bread