Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Power Hungry": making the bars from recipe #1

Breakfast Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Hi CKatCook.  Should add that the book is inexpensive: USA: $16.95 and Canada: $18.95.

We are almost out of Citrus-Seed-Fruit Bars, p.62 and so this time I'll make a double batch.  They are definitely the favorite and interestingly enough, the lowest in calories at 105 per bar.  The entire ingredient list is as follows: pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, orange zest, lemon zest, orange juice, lemon juice, chia seeds, dried apricots, figs &/or dates, sea salt.  Of course you could make them subbing a number of ingredients or leaving them out.  Next time, I'm going to add finely chopped nuts to my take.  Saulbury does list variations for this bar using nuts. 

Now, if my food processor can't handle one batch of this mixture, it sure as shootin' ain't gonna handle two.  I think I'll pulse the seeds and nuts separately and put them into a bowl.  Then pulse the fig/date combo separately and then using hands, mix it all together.   I was already using my hands for the final mixing.  Couldn't possibly use a spoon. 

I will also make something new this time.  (Have to say that I don't like the 'fudgy' consistency at breakfast. )  (Oh, but they are fine later in the day.)

Edited by Darienne, 27 February 2014 - 07:05 AM.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#32 jcg

jcg
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

What page was the "No Bake Oatmeal Energy Bars with Cherries and Almonds recipe on?

#33 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

http://powerhungry.com/power-bars/  The No Bake Oatmeal, etc bars are not in the book, but are in Salusbury's blog at the URL as noted.  On this page you'll find all the bars which were published before the book was out.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#34 jcg

jcg
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

http://powerhungry.com/power-bars/  The No Bake Oatmeal, etc bars are not in the book, but are in Salusbury's blog at the URL as noted.  On this page you'll find all the bars which were published before the book was out.

OK, I just got the book and looked through it twice trying to find the recipe. Anyways I think I'm going to start by making the Lucy bars as I like Laura bars.  The other bars I like are Cliff bars, so wondering have you made the Nick bars? From the recipe ingredients it doesn't look like they would be that similar to Cliff bars?

#35 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

I haven't made the Nick bars.  We once tried a Clif bar in Utah and neither of us liked it.  But one try is not enough to form much of an opinion.  I seem to recall that there is more than one kind of Clif bar.

As for the Lucy bars, I did make the variation out of the book, Carrot Cake Bar variation, p.51, and we found them just fine. 

I'll try a Nick bar for sure.  Today I made a double batch of Citrus-Seed-Fruit bars, my current go-to favorite. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#36 jcg

jcg
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Alright I made my first homemade energy bars yesterday, and they came out really good. I made 2 versions that both started out with the the Lara bar as the foundation to the recipe. The first was a peanut butter / chocolate chip version and the 2nd was an espresso dark chocolate version (both recipes below).

1 cup (10-11) dates (pitted and soaked in warm water)

1/4 cup mixed dried fruits

1/2 cup cashews

1/2 cup walnuts

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1 cup rolled oats

1T cocoa powder

2T peanut butter

1T honey

1/4t salt

Add everything to the food processor and pulse 5-10 times and then press into a 4"x8" bread pan. Freeze for 15 minutes and cut into 8 bars & wrap.

1 cup (10-11) dates (pitted and soaked in warm water)

1/4 cup mixed dried fruits

1/2 cup cashews

1/2 cup walnuts

1/2 cup grated dark chocolate

1 cup rolled oats

2T ground coffee

1T honey

1/4t salt

Add everything to the food processor and pulse 5-10 times and then press into a 4"x8" bread pan. Freeze for 15 minutes and cut into 8 bars & wrap.

#37 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Those two variants sound really good and I think I might try the second one.  With my own twist, of course.... :raz: .  I find it easier to heat the date in the microwave. and I think I'd like the fruits, oats and dates finer than the nuts.  Just bought some fresh ground espresso and that should perk it up for morning.  Thanks, jcg.

Hmmm...my mixed dried fruits are also candied.  Could cut back on the dates a bit. 

Glad the recipes turned out well for you.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#38 jcg

jcg
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Actually when I made them I pulsed the dates / dried fruit by themselves a few times to get them down to a paste type consisitency. I also forgot in the recipe I posted that when everything was pulsed together I mixed in 1/2 cup of puffed rice cereal. For some reason I can edit my posts now (maybe the site is doing maintenance) but once I can I'll edit the recipes I posted to correct them.

#39 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

I expect the puffed rice would make the bars less sticky...if they were sticky in the first place.  Some of her bars are and they need to be wrapped.  At this point, I'm not interested in having to wrap bars because so far we're just eating them at home. 

What 'dried fruit' are you talking about? 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#40 jcg

jcg
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

I used the mixed fruit from the link below, and I bought it at Costco where you can get a good deal on the 24 oz bag. I originally bought it to add to homemade granola, but it also works great for these energy bars. The lara bar recipe ends up with kind of a sticky bar that doesn't have much "stiffness" to it (at least compared to a real Laura bar), so that is why I mixed in the puffed rice at the end. Also the puffed rice I got is bigger than say rice krispies, so next time I would give them a very rough chop to make most of the pieces a bit smaller so they integrate better when you mix them in. I just wrapped the bars in saran wrap and leave them in the frig, so I can bring them with me when I want a snack.

https://www.madeinna...t-fusion-blend/

jcg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Breakfast, Cookbook