Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Notter's orange raspberry chocolate

Chocolate Confections Dessert

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Has anybody made the orange raspberry bon bon from Notter's book "The Art of the Chocolatier: From Classic Confections to Sensational Showpieces"?  It is described as a smooth raspberry coulis, atop a dark ganache, infused with fresh orange juice, encased in a dark chocolate shell. What did you think of it? I'm very curious about the texture and taste of the raspberry coulis. Unfortunately the book shows a picture on the finished piece (no step-by-step photos or a cut-away photo).

#2 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • society donor
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

I have made it several times, and it has been a favorite of people who tasted it (including me).  As with many recipes, I have learned a few things from my experience:

The raspberry coulis recipe did not result in enough, at least for the molds I was using (rather large, deep ones to allow for the two layers).  I now use 1 1/2 times the amount listed for ingredients for the coulis.  In addition, when I followed the instructions to "boil for 3 minutes," I got raspberry rubber.  Now I cook it just until it starts to thicken a bit since it thickens a lot more as it cools.  Incidentally with the "raspberry rubber," I was able to thin it out with water so as to pipe it successfully.

As for the orange-dark chocolate ganache:  I found the proportion of chocolate to liquefier somewhat off.  The recipe calls for 165g orange juice (after being reduced) + 100g cream, but only 175g chocolate.  That's an approximate ratio of 1.5 parts liquefier to 1 part chocolate.  Even Notter himself states (p. 111) that the ratio should be 1:1 for a "soft ganache for molded pralines."  So that would mean 265g chocolate.  The first time I made this praline I followed the recipe as written, and the ganache never firmed up (it was OK because it was molded, but it was quite soft).

All that said, it is a delicious combination of flavors and textures.  In general, I have found that the recipes in Notter's book produce some of the most interesting, best tasting pralines (the yuzu-ginger is fantastic), but some of the quantities need tweaking (at least in my limited experience).

Jim

• judiu likes this

#3 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Jim D.  that you for all the helpful hints!  Two more questions for you... What type of pectin did you use for the raspberry coulis? What was the shelf-life for the chocolate?

#4 Jim D.

Jim D.
  • society donor
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

I used what Chef Rubber calls "pectin pate de fruit," so it's not Shotts's special g-pectin or Pomona's pectin that requires calcium water.

I can't give you an exact shelf life since I am not making chocolates in a commercial situation but giving them away to friends and family.  I can say that there are probably two weeks between the time I make them and the time the last ones are given out.  I include a guide in each box saying they are best when eaten within a couple of weeks after receiving them and, if they are going to be kept longer than that, they should be refrigerated (on the theory than it's better to have a refrigerated chocolate than a killer chocolate).  I have kept some even longer than that for myself and they have been fine.  I always look for any signs of mold, etc., but have never seen any--though I must confess I am not sure what mold would look like in a ganache.  I assume you are in a commercial situation.  I don't think this item is any different from pate de fruit or a regular dark chocolate ganache filling.  Maybe I am too trusting, but I assume Notter's, Greweling's, and Wybauw's recipes provide adequate shelf life.

• curls likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate, Confections, Dessert