Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Tequila - what do I want now?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

I have access to a limited (but growing) range of tequila. A fair bit of it is priced beyond what I'd like to play. My experience with agave-based beverages is also limited: a couple mezcals (smoked rocket fuel and a beautiful Ilegal reposado) and Espolon (reposado), Herradurra (anejo) and Patron (all variants--not a fan of any of them, really, too boring). I mostly drink it in simple cocktails but I have been known to take it straight, too. 

I'm about finished my Herradurra and while I like it, I'm leaning towards getting something different for my replacement bottle. For reference, Herradura anejo and its younger siblings are all in the price range. So. Here's a list of things I can get at prices I am prepared to pay:

• Tapatio blanco/reposado/anejo

• Calle 23 blanco/reposado/anejo

• Leyenda del Milgaro silver/reposado

• Don Julio silver/reposado

• Tequila Blu reposado

• 1800 silver/anejo

• Cabo Wabo silver/reposado

Of these, what's my best bet? Any stand outs?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#2 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 737 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

I tried the Tapatio Reposado the other day. For me it was somewhat retiring; woody and mellow, but still with some blanco pepper.

#3 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Don Julio is solid. I also like the Siete Leguas line very much, but it's not in your list.

There is a bunch of recommendations from bartenders on Serious Drinks, for sipping and mixing, high and low end.

#4 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Another vote for Don Julio, particularly the reposado which is smoother than the silver and has more character.  However, my fave is also not on your list: El Jimador Añejo.  If you can find it, it's well worth the price-tag.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#5 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Tapatio blanco and overproof are excellent. I'm a big fan of the Calle 23 blanco and repo too; the repo uses a different yeast strain, which gives it a floral aspect to round out the blanco's earthy pepper.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#6 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

I like my 1800 reposado.  I'd like to get some more of the Kirkland anejo but Costco hasn't had it in a long time.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#7 Dave the Cook

Dave the Cook

Executive Director

• manager
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

You say you can get 1800 silver. I think that's a pass in its usual incarnation -- it's ordinary. But if the 100-proof version is available, that's a different story. It's maybe US$4 more (per 750) here, but well worth it.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

#8 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

Ho. When it comes to normal pruchases, our exchange rate works something like this: one Australian dollar gets you eightysomething US cents. When it comes to booze, our exchange rate works something like this: $1USD = $100AUD. Enter the $90 bottle of Rittenhouse. $85 if you score big bargains. 

Anyway. I ended up going with the Julio reposado. It's warm and steamy outside and it seems like a good reason to knock together a Margarita. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#9 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

I like my 1800 reposado.  I'd like to get some more of the Kirkland anejo but Costco hasn't had it in a long time.

I have a bottle of that at home - drinking some right now.

Chris: you can now get Clase Azul here. Casa de Vino in Port Melbourne has them. They are planning to ship some of the anejo here. But it will be $$$$....

Edited by annachan, 23 January 2014 - 02:46 AM.

#10 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

Probably.

Anyway. The Julio makes a workable Marg. Reckon I might make the next one 3:1 with the 1 representing some Ilegal, tho'. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#11 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:28 AM

The only tequilas on your list, and the only 100% agave silver and reposado, available where I live are the Milagros. So I can't compare them to anything else you can get but, compared to anything else I can get, they're great. I'm happy enough with them that I won't drive the 5 hours to where I can get a wider selection. So basically, listen to the others who know more about it than I do. :raz:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#12 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

Another vote for Don Julio, particularly the reposado which is smoother than the silver and has more character.  However, my fave is also not on your list: El Jimador Añejo.  If you can find it, it's well worth the price-tag.

I also enjoy El Jimador, but it is essentially Herradura's second label, so probably not the choice to replace a bottle of Herradurra (assuming the OP is looking for something a bit different).

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour