Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Favorite Bacon Brand – and Must to Avoid

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm a big fan of Neuske's, and I also happen to like Niman Ranch's various bacons as well as Benton's.  But I recently split a few pounds of Broadbent's bacon, and it doesn't move me - it's very salty (I know, I know, all bacon is salty but this stuff is over the top) and it cooks up almost too crisp for my liking.

What's your favorite bacon and what brands do you avoid?

Edited by weinoo, 21 January 2014 - 01:45 PM.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#2 btbyrd

btbyrd
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

My favorite all around bacon is probably Beeler's. It strikes a perfect balance between smoke, salt, and sugar flavors and cooks up well without much fuss. I prefer it to Niman Ranch's bacon, but I can't find it in my area (I moved recently). Niman's is my current go-to bacon and it's excellent but the slices are a little thinner than Beeler's and it isn't as sweet tasting. Benton's bacon is amazing, but it's more of a special purpose bacon than an everyday bacon. The salt content is pretty high and because of the dry cure I find that it's less forgiving when it comes to cook times. A minute or two too long in the over and Benton's turns into salty shoe leather. But cooked properly, it's fantastic on a BLT or cut into lardons to garnish other dishes. So much smoke flavor, you can smell it through the packaging -- and the box it arrives in! Plus it makes your house smell like a porky campfire when you cook it (a good thing).

• David Hensley likes this

#3 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

I find Benton's much too salty for my tastes.   I like it cooked in dishes, but as far as just eating a slice of bacon I think it's just too much.

My bacon tastes are pretty pedestrian as I'm happy as can be with regular Wright's bacon from just about any grocery store.

• David Hensley likes this

#4 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

I like Niman Ranch's as well (they used to sell it at Trader Joe's, but I haven't seen it lately). Benton's is good but heavily smoked, and I am not always in the mood for that.

Most of the time though, I buy bacon from my local butcher shop (they cure and smoke it in house), or use homecured. Much better than most commercial brands.

#5 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Our favorite is Wright's Applewood. It is a thick sliced bacon.

image.jpg

For us, this bacon has a nice balance of lean meat to fat and just the right amount of saltiness.

Edited by robirdstx, 21 January 2014 - 08:13 PM.

• judiu likes this

#6 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

I like D'Artagnan's Hickory smoked

#7 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

I have a couple local houses...one makes shoulder bacon..it's usually pretty lean ..but makes great sandwiches.
Its good to have Morels

#8 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:38 AM

For me it's probably Juris Ahumado as the best of what's available commercially, but the really excellent stuff is made by a German friend of mine who has his own pigs and smoker….

• judiu likes this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#9 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

I have a couple local houses...one makes shoulder bacon..it's usually pretty lean ..but makes great sandwiches.

Is shoulder bacon bacon?

• judiu likes this
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#10 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Is shoulder bacon bacon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Cheers..stay warm. And I hear what your saying
Its good to have Morels

#11 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

Nueske's, in the slab:

http://www.nueskes.c...slab-bacon.aspx

but local 'artisan' bacon is frequently stunning if you area supports the Artisan.

its cured pig, after all.  no truffles, etc

Edited by rotuts, 22 January 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#12 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Being in the Mid-West!!

I have had many of these guys products and like them alot.  Though I have never had thier Bacon

But a good source for this thread!!

http://laquercia.us/...graphical_index

Paul

Its good to have Morels

#13 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

time to give them a try.  ask for a 'meaty' slab

site says this:

""  Bacon that can stand the spotlight. Cook less and at lower heat. Use as other pancetta or eat "sashimi" style without cooking. ""

my emphasis.   excellent thinking on their part.  I used to eat bacon sashimi style way before sashimi was invented.

• judiu likes this

#14 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

I'd like to be able to buy slab bacon and cut it myself.  No luck so far. 

We are big on the cattle here.  Not so much on the swine.

• judiu likes this

#15 tim

tim
  • participating member
  • 829 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

Nothing beats my DIL's home cured bacon.

#16 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Call me another vote for Wright's. Flavorful, fries up well, not too awfully salty. I also like Petit Jean Meats, a local Arkansas firm; their products are available from their website, here. Their peppered bacon is particularly good. Off topic, but they also make a "peppered beef," which would be pastrami anywhere else in the world, that is To Die For.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#17 eldereno

eldereno
  • society donor
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

I've most recently been buying Walmart's Value Pack thick sliced  bacon.  Liking it better than any of the brands I can get at my local Giant.  Have ordered Bentons's and find it way too smokey for my tastes.  Have ordered Neuske's and it was okay.  BUT for the price one can't beat Walmart's Value Pack thick sliced bacon!!!  It is the only thing I make myself stop at Walmart for. 

• judiu and David Hensley like this
Donna

#18 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Recently, I've been able to buy this beautiful smoked bacon produced by a Shanghai company by the name of Taishen (台申). As I mentioned on the breakfast thread, it tastes of pig and smoke and hasn't been injected with water or other obvious nasties. It has been cured in salt, rice wine, sugar, msg, spices, and preservatives.

bacon1.jpg

It is a hundred times better than this one. Maverick American Classic Bacon.from Cofco, China's largest food processing company. The state owned enterprise uses pretty much the same ingredients as above, but the product is far inferior. It leaks a little water when fried, but does eventually crisp up. It tastes very bland. Also it is cut much thinner than I prefer.

maverick bacon.jpg

Still, it's better than this muck. Elaborate Bacon by Yurun.

bacon3.jpg

Yurun is China's largest meat company and they have an amazing ability to turn out hundreds of different sausages and other meat products, all of which tastes exactly the same, but never of meat.

Their bacon is similarly tasteless and although it doesn't leak water, nor does the fat render out. Getting it to crisp up is impossible. Again, it is cut way too thinly. Truly weird, disgusting stuff. Despite its promise of "Low-temperature wisdom, elegant taste!" 

• judiu likes this

#19 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

Nothing beats my DIL's home cured bacon.

I'm sure - but it probably isn't available commercially.

I forgot another one I really like, available here in NYC and, I believe, in other markets, and that's Schaller & Weber. Their double smoked bacon is great, and their slab  bacon is one of my faves too.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#20 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

I'm another fan of Wright's bacon, when we find it on our travels.  Nice flavor, nicely balanced, and their "bacon ends and pieces" boxes fit our bill nicely.

I don't know how widespread Cloverdale is; it may be an upper Midwest thing, but it's another favorite.  Tastes like bacon.  Hickory smoke, not maple, not too sweet for my tastes.  I'm not much for the sugary sweetness of maple curing, nor even (in this context) apple.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#21 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

I gotta try to find this Wright's bacon.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#22 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:44 AM

Benton's is our favorite, but Wright's is great,too and we can get it at Kroger!

• judiu likes this

#23 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

We don't eat bacon much, but when we want some, I go to one of three butchers that will cut from a slab to my desired thickness, and often I get some very lean bacon that way, which is our preference.  I can also get as many slices as needed - sometimes I only need two or three slices.  A couple-three years ago I bought some Niman Ranch bacon, and, while better than supermarket stuff, it fell short of what is available at the butchers.

.... Shel

#24 LaCook

LaCook
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

Another vote for Wright's. They also have a peppered bacon that I buy sometimes.

#25 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

My favorite is homemade alder-smoked bacon. But when that's not available, I'm pretty happy with Fletcher's center cut bacon at Costco. To avoid: Hemplers -- it's sour tasting.

#26 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

My favorite is homemade alder-smoked bacon. But when that's not available, I'm pretty happy with Fletcher's center cut bacon at Costco. To avoid: Hemplers -- it's sour tasting.

Sour?

Sounds like it was off.

Did you return it?

• judiu likes this
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#27 MikeHartnett

MikeHartnett
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

I like Pederson's a lot. The right amount of smoke vs. sweetness, and my ideal texture - i.e., I can get it crispy while retaining some chew.

#28 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Sour?

Sounds like it was off.

Did you return it?

The sour taste seems to be a characteristic of the brand...not a bad package. I tasted some sour bacon at someone's house recently and sure enough...it was Hemplers.

#29 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

Recently tried Wright's...no, just no!!!  :shock:

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#30 MSRadell

MSRadell
  • participating member
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

We just got a new Lucky's Market here in town and I must say I've become addicted to their bacon!  It's just the right amount of lean/fat and they actually smoke it in store.  They have several different flavors available to suit what you're looking for I normally buy the plain but the orange honey is quite interesting and nice for a change.  The other great advantage is that it's reasonably priced, $5.99 per pound and being local I can go buy it when I need it.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.