Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Transforming Sauerkraut into Kimchi Using Vacuum Pickling

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

I recently purchased a Harsch fermenting crock and made up my first lot of Sauerkraut, which is absolutely delicious.

I've also wanted to make some Kimchi but feel that I won't use the large amount that using the crock would create. Short of giving it away to friends (a reasonable solution), I decided to experiment with transforming the kraut into kimchi.

Reasoning that the sauerkraut is already full of lovely fermented goodies, it seemed that I'd need to add some other elements such as carrot and onion as well as some additional flavourings.

What I did was put some sauerkraut in a vacuum pack bag along with some finely sliced onion and some shredded carrot (again finely cut on a mandolin, this time with the medium slicing blade added). To this I added three different types of chili: A squirt of Sriracha sauce, some crushed fresh chili, and some ssamjang fermented chili paste. I also added some crushed garlic.

In order to infuse the extra flavourings into the sauerkraut and to part process and force the mix plus sauerkraut juice into the onion and carrot, I used my chamber vacuum sealer. By running a full vacuum four times with no sealing I was able to mix all the ingredients and infuse them into the vegetables.

The result was very tasty, still crunchy, and a very good substitute for conventionally made kimchi. I'm going to do it again, next time experimenting with some additional elements.

• judiu, Shalmanese, gfweb and 1 other like this

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#2 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:34 AM

"""  By running a full vacuum four times with no sealing I was able to mix all the ingredients and infuse them into the vegetables. ""

Ive been thinking about this same subject for a few days, after seeing the vid for the PolyScience Chamber Vac  ( USD 1,000 )

Id be very interested in other chamber vac experience here on these sorts of thing

many thanks !

BTW  would you consider sealing the 'kimchi' in the bag so as to keep it in the refrig for a few days? as an easy storage method ?

• judiu likes this

#3 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 797 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

That wouldn't strictly take a chamber vac as long as your clamp type can use canisters.

#4 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

I meant to say sealing the bag after the 4 vac's as a simple way to keep the kimchi in the refrigerator

• judiu likes this

#5 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

That would work but as I was doing this for immediate consumption it was unnecessary.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist