Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#31 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

This morning had a couple of infusions of the American Breakfast Tea from The Cultured Cup. Nice Irish Breakfast style black tea. A little iced tea this afternoon and now sipping the second gaiwan infusion of a sample of the delicious Jin Xuan Green Tea - Spring Harvest 2010 provided by Greg at Norbu Tea as part of the process of selecting teas for a Tea Tasting & Discussion. Unfortunately he sold out before I could turn around (and before I could order any), so we're featuring a close cousin - the Winter Harvest, 2009 as one the the two Chinese green teas in the new Tea Tasting & Discussion.

A lesson re-learned that if I really, really like a tea - enough to want to order again - I had better do it sooner rather than later.

NOTE: There are only two sets of free samples for this Chinese green Tea Tasting & Discussion, so please PM me if you are interested.

So what teas are you drinking in your part of the eGullet world?

(Edited to correct the harvest above from Fall to Winter 2009.)

Edited by Richard Kilgore, 01 October 2010 - 08:38 PM.

#32 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

This evening brewing the Winter Harvest 2009 Jin Xuan green tea from Norbu Tea. Also very nice.

#33 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

More puerh yesterday, some Menghai 2007 Golden needles white lotus, and if there is a next time, I will get the beeng and not the brick. I got so frustrated trying to chip enough off of the brick, and in the end I had too much tea for the brewed volume--lost track of how much all those fines really added up to, because most of it was fines. Fortunately, it's a forgiving tea!

#34 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

What are you using to chip the pu, WC?

A Ceylon Kenilworth Estate OP in my cup this am. From a sample sent by Tea Source. As a hot tea this morning, I'll have to try it iced later.

#35 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

A letter opener--thin, sharp but not too sharp, and really a lot like the tea knives I've seen online. Also have worked on this particular pu with a knife, screwdriver, but haven't yet broken out the vise grips.

#36 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

A few years ago Scott at Yunnan Sourcing told me that the pick style tools work better than the knives, although he carries both. So I got one and it works very well on dense bricks. The pick works around the leaves a little better than a knife, which tends to be more likely to cut them. An ice pick should work just as well. Just gently pick layers off. I often break up a whole brick at one time and store it in a container so it can air out.

Today, I also had the 2010 Organic Saemidori Shincha/Sencha from yuuki-cha.com. Three very nice infusions. Could have gone at least one more, but I needed to stop for the evening.

#37 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

I have little trouble with any of my beengs--the layering there seems to break up more naturally with something slipping between the layers. But the bricks and one small tuo are super dense and very difficult. Coarser tools won't penetrate and fine tools are too delicate.

Since I like to drink a little of this one and a little of that one, breaking up the whole thing at once doesn't appeal. But I may have to make an exception for these few--break up a large portion of them at home to bring to work, so I don't end up with tea scattered all over the keyboard and carpet again.

The Lao Cha Tou from norbu is equally dense, but there the preformed nuggets break up quite easily and neatly.

And after a pleasant sencha start (almost done with the Sayamakaori), and some chilled Yunnan Mao Feng, puerh sounds very fine. It's even cooling off enough to make the very hot-brewed tea sound appealing. But I'll be working on some loose tea or samples of beengs, no pick or hammer required!

#38 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

Three teas today, in addition to the ubiquitous generic iced tea that I am phasing out now that the temp is drifting lower: The Assam Konghea Estate, Golden Bud from teasource.com; a Wu Niu Zao Chinese green tea and a Shi Feng Long Jing Chinese green tea, both from jingteashop.com; and a Pouchong Oolong from The Cultured Cup. More in the Chinese green tea topic after I have played with those two a little more.

A pleasant day of tea here. How about all of you?

#39 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hime Hikari Japanese black tea from yuuki-cha this morning, the best brewing of it so far, richer flavor with a citrus note coming through. More on brewing this rare Japanese black tea in the Unflavored black tea topic after I play with the parameters a little more.

Now brewing the Old Plantation Qing Xin Taiwan Oolong from Norbu Tea - gongfu cha in a gaiwan. Delicious!

So what are the rest of you tea drinkers sipping in your part of the world?

#40 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

Today was the first drizzly rainy day of fall, so I had to break out the White bud sheng puerh. Nothing better for a dank gray day. Now thinking of something lighter and greener as a followup. Lots more paperwork to get through this evening....

#41 Le Master

Le Master
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

I'm drinking some lemon-flavored Throat Coat this morning. Some pre-vocal warmup lubrication.

#42 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

Welcome to the eGullet Society, Le Master!

Started the day again with the Hime hikari Japanese black tea. There may yet be a few infusions left of last night's Oolong, so that's next for me.

#43 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

Last night I closed the day with a Sunset Orange Roibos from The Cultured Cup

Open the day today with a Dian Hong Imperial, Hand Processed Chinese red/black tea from Norbu Tea. Later brewed (and am still making infusions of) the Wan Sia Shan Long Jin Chinese green tea from jingteashop.com - a lovely tea.

So, what tea(s) are you all drinking today?

#44 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Indeed, welcome!

Today I was running late as usual for my meeting and dropped a few clumps of the Lao Cha Tou shu puerh from Norbu into my thermos, added hot water, and got myself through the meeting and afternoon just fine.

This evening, some Sichuan yellow tea, Meng Ding Huang Ya, from norbu, a tea that has been touchy at times but today is behaving very nicely. Mmmm.

#45 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:58 PM

Yes, those tea nuggets can be quite pleasant.

Started a gong fu cha session dipping into a small sample of a 2005 Lin Cang Thousand Year Tea Co. "Gu Shu Zhen Pin" that I got from Yunnan Sourcing a few years ago. Ran out of time so I'll continue with this tomorrow. Very light with typical infusion times, so I'll brew it longer than usual in the morning.

#46 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Had a couple of infusions of the Nepal Chiyabari Estate black tea from The Cultured Cup this am. I have come to like this rather hard to find tea a great deal. With luck tehy will have some in stock next time I am in the store. Late in the day I am brewing the early Spring (pre-Ming) 2010 Wu Niu Zao green tea from jingteashop.com. Such a lovely tea - nutty aroma and delicate taste with a vegetal hint.

What tea(s) are you all drinking today in your part of the eGullet world?

#47 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Today so far, just a thermos of SeaDyke Ti Kuan Yin. Soothing.

After a nap, hope to work on some of the older Essence of Tea Puerh samples.

#48 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

Glad I didn't start the evening with the aged EoT that I was considering to start off with, because I burnt my tongue and mouth more than a little while eating some pizza at lunch today, and simply can't take the heat. Sigh. Here I am at home, it's early enough to start a long gongfu session, and I have a bunch of puerhs I want to work with, and I can't drink them.

Bummed. Seriously bummed.

#49 sherrid

sherrid
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

I love tea. I'm actually preferring it to coffee! :eek:

I love all styles of Earl Grey and Russian Caravan tea is great too (nice smokey, intense flavours). I prefer loose-leaf and have a wonderful 2 cup tea pot from "Zero Japan". I use a variety of brands - but here in Australia I often use Somage tea as well as the common Twinnings.

I do also enjoy Chai tea. I'm using a local loose-leaf one a the moment with hints of cinnamon, cardamon & ginger. Lovely and warming. I also am partial to Chai Lattes made with either soy or low fat organic milk with a dash of honey. Cinnamon sugar on top too! MM

Celestial Seasonings is my fav herb tea brand (tea bags) with Sleepy-time my No 1 pre-bed drink. I also like most of their other flavours.

Peppermint tea and green tea are both refreshing!
Melbourne, Australia

'One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.' ~Virginia Woolf

#50 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

Welcome to the eGullet Society and the eG Forums, sherrid! Hope to see more of you here in the Coffee & Tea forum. Lots of interesting discussions about all kinds of teas and tisanes, as well as regular Tea Tasting & Discussions.

Tea Source's Nilgiri Glendale Estate, Hand-made in my Brown Betty this morning. Such an elegant Indian black tea. Followed by five pleasant infusions of the 2010 Organic Saemidori Shincha from Yuuki-Cha. An Oolong next.

#51 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

The Oolong for the day turned out to be a Phoenix Mountain from The Cultured Cup. brewed with western parameters in a larger (210ml) Yixing that has not been used in quite a while. Works well, so I'll have to see if it is worth dedicating it to this group of Oolongs.

#52 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

My burnt mouth recovered enough to try my oldest sample from Essence of Tea today--more later in the puerh topic, when I have had a chance to find out how far it can go. It's marvelous how fast mouth tissues can heal!

Already started the day with Honyama sencha from Yuuki-cha, and had an interlude with some of the white bud sheng puerh from norbu that I love so much.

#53 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Early today the Castleton Estate Darjeeling, Wiry from teasource.com, a second flush and one of my favorites. But then I have more than a few "favorites".

Again today, brewed the Phoenix Mountain Oolong from TCC Western style in order to give the Yixing a little more seasoning. May do this for a week and see how it goes. Not that I mind too terribly much drinking this wonderfully aromatic Oolong daily. My tea friend Kyle Stewart at the Cultured Cup introduced me to these teas about five years ago, and I am so glad he did.

#54 Shamanjoe

Shamanjoe
  • participating member
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

Pretty full already, so I made a light tea to finish off the night. A Lipton white tea with mango that we had in the cupboard. It's very light, with just a hint of mango in it. It's nothing spectacular, just a nice white tea. I do like their pyramid tea bags though. As far as tea bags go, it's a pretty good design.

Also brewed a Bai Yun Oolong for the Iced Tea discussion, but I'm keeping away from it until it cools down. I have to have something leftover to talk about after it's been chilled. :cool:

edited: to finish a sentence I almost forgot to finish.

Edited by Shamanjoe, 10 October 2010 - 10:52 PM.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

#55 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

Started the morning with a Yunnan Golden Tips from The Cultured Cup, another really fine black tea. The last hour or so I have been brewing an Aged Sheng Puerh, a 1980s tuo that I got about a year ago from The Essence of Tea. The tuo came without a wrapper, so it is at this point something of a mystery to me. Apparently wet stored and the first two infusions were pretty musty, but now improving with the third. More on this in the Puerh topic after playing with this for a day or two.

So, tea sippers, what teas are you drinking today?

#56 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

Today I made a thermos full of charcoal roasted Taiwanese Tie Guan Yin from Norbu, a tea that at first I found a bit darker and more toasty than I really prefer, but it came out wonderfully in the thermos. A great tea for the road. And that's it. I had played iwth the alarms last night, mistook which was which, and overslept too long to get in anything else. Now just finishing the TGY.

#57 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

A Chinese green tea, the Tai Ping Hou Kui from jingteashop.com to start an early day today - incredibly large, flat leaves that poked out of the gaiwan until the hot water hit. This followed later by the 2008 Spring "Natural Habitat" WuDong FengHuang Dancong from Hou De Fine Tea. And now another Oolong, the 2003 Aged TGY from jingteashop.com, a treat that I have not brewed in months.

So, what teas are you all drinking in your part of the world?

#58 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

Lots of tea variety the last couple of days--yesterday, started with some Dragon Well, then on to some Jin Xuan green tea, a delightful infusion of my first puerh beeng to cap the day. First time in a long time I did it gongfu cha. In the evening, a bit of Diamond Tea Guan Yin from norbu, the 2010 spring version, but not the right conditions yet for a taste-off vs the 2009 and 2009 fall versions (soon!).

Today, the 2008 Yi Wu bamboo aged sheng from norbu, a sweet and mellow puerh--'creamy' said my tea buddy who shared a cup. An untimely visit interrupted my discovery of a bit of the Cultured Cup Yin Zhen from a recent tasting, and I didn't get to pay as much attention to it as I wished to. Then finished the evening with a bit more Tie Guan Yin, this one a 2009 version from Jing Tea Shop.

Tomorrow I won't bother with the single-infusion cup in case of visitors.

#59 TeakettleSlim

TeakettleSlim
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

Got some new Assams in from Upton last week-- Sessa "B", Daisajan, and Banaspaty. This morning I had the Sessa. The Banaspaty is my favorite of this batch, though.

My husband brought me back an assortment of Kusmi Russian blends from a recent trip to Paris-- I think I'll give one of those a try this afternoon.

#60 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

An Oolong day today, ranging from a 2009 TGY, to the 2009 Fall Harvest Old Plantation Qing Xin, to the 2009 Fall Harvest Bai Yun Wu Lang Mountain - all from Norbu Tea. Brewed the first of the group gaongfu cha in a gaiwan and the other two gong fu cha in a dragon egg shape Yixing in order to see if more oxidized or more roasted Oolongs would do well in this Yixing. More on that later after brewing in it for a week worth of sessions.