Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#421 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hello- I recently was able to renew my supply of sencha. I'm drinking my favorite version: the one produced by Yamamotoyama.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

#422 Mary33

Mary33
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hello everyone!
I start my morning with Assam Black, and during the day I prefer to have a cup of Earl Grey Green :rolleyes:

#423 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hello- Today I made a really strong pot of Ceylon Black. The temperature is dropping and that means -for me- more black tea.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

#424 egalicontrarian

egalicontrarian
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

I also made a black tea today, from this company:

http://en.bsxtea.com/

My brother brought home some of their tea (in brick form) directly from Hunan itself.

• Naftal likes this

#425 Max_Ov

Max_Ov
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:55 AM

• Super fresh Vietnamese Coffee
  • Special Chai blend (like it because of cinnamon and safflowers)
  • Fine green tea from Tan Nguyen Province of Vietnam

Everyone Can be a Master
www.senseasia.net

#426 Linda13

Linda13
  • general member
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:27 PM

i like ''pu er'',it smells well,and it tastes great!

----------------------------

#427 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:44 AM

Liuzhou Qingming Tea (柳州清明茶)

liuzhoutea.jpg

Liuzhou is the city I live in. In Guangxi Autonomous Region in the south of China. So a very local tea. I work right beside the plants. 

Qingming, for those who don' t know, is a festival to commemorate the ancestors (something taken very seriously in China). It usually takes place in April (it is calculated on the lunar calendar so it moves a bit).

Its use in the tea name just means that the tea was picked before Qingming. That is in spring.

It is very green in appearance and very herbal in taste. Grassy even. Probably not a classic tea, but perfectly acceptable and it's nice to try the local stuff.

• Naftal likes this

#428 egalicontrarian

egalicontrarian
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

Greetings, everyone. This evening I'm enjoying a Wu Yi Yan Cha oolong from Goldfish Tea in Royal Oak, MI. Here is a nice article from Seven Cups about this famous style of oolong, and here is the Goldfish Tea page.

As I am partial to earthy teas (like raw pu-erh), I'm very much enjoying this oolong, which has a distinct earthy flavor.

#429 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:01 PM

Hello- Lately, I have been drinking Lapsang Souchong from Goldfish Tea. I've also been drinking my green tea Tibetan-style (with butter).

#430 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:17 AM

Curious about green tea with butter:  are you starting with a roasted or steamed green tea?  And how do you add the butter?  I know the traditional Tibetan-style tea has origins in   the compressed tea bricks that gave rise to puerh, which when young have a bit of green character to them, but after long travel/storage would be more earthy and dark. 

#431 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Curious about green tea with butter:  are you starting with a roasted or steamed green tea?  And how do you add the butter?  I know the traditional Tibetan-style tea has origins in   the compressed tea bricks that gave rise to puerh, which when young have a bit of green character to them, but after long travel/storage would be more earthy and dark. 

Hello- My very personal, nontraditional take on this style: I combine 1t of matcha or a very similar green tea powder,  with 1 3/4-2 C hot water  and 2T butter in a blender. I blend it till I can't see the butter. Then I pour it into a large, clean jam jar and enjoy. I Know this is very strange and not everyone's *cup of tea* :shock:  :wacko:  :huh: I should try it with a black tea, but I am concerned because the blending/processing stage is a very important one and I have not yet found a way to get a leaf-type tea really smooth. If I could solve this problem, I might do a pu-erh.

Edited by Naftal, 08 February 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#432 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:37 PM

I just had a nice dark oolong. I thought it might be nice to brew a cup of that, or a nice strong black ,  add butter and blend....

I do not need leaves at all!

#433 Naftal

Naftal
  • participating member
  • 530 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

I am continuing my experiments with Tibetan-style tea. In my most recent (per)version, I brewed a full cup-liquid measure- of atomic strength Ceylon black. I put that and 2T of butter in a blender...the ultimate morning drink!