Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
586 replies to this topic

#181 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

Astor. Though I don't believe your state allows interstate booze delivery. If you'd like a bottle mailed let me know. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#182 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Just remember, fedex

#183 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 931 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

You guys are talking about Unicum like you can buy it at the corner packie. So. Wheredagetit?

Found a very old bottle on a dusty shelf at a store near nothing in particular (except my client) on the far west side of Houston, TX...then, a couple months later, it was re-launched in the U.S. 

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#184 polytropia

polytropia
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

"Scrivener"
5 oz. San Pellegrino Aranciata Rosso
2 oz. fresh squeezed OJ
1 shot Crater Lake vodka

#185 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

Finished up my taxes:  Columbia Cocktail:

2 1/2 oz W&N

1 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

3/4 oz Small Hand Raspberry syrup

Need larger coupe.

#186 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 980 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

Astor. Though I don't believe your state allows interstate booze delivery. If you'd like a bottle mailed let me know. 

Damn. I was JUST in NYC and had planned to visit Astor but the logistics didn't quite work. And, alas, MA does now allow out-of-state booze shipments. I guess I just have to wait to see if it hits Boston.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#187 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Been playing around with Carpano Bianco and Byrrh lately, after a totally OCD splurge when Astor had a sale on vermouths and amari . . . . both are "good", but I can't yet say whether I like them enough to keep a bottle around, in addition to all the regular stuff. 

Last night was a Negroni variation:

1 1/2 Ransom Old Tom (aka "the gin that made me its b$*&h from first sip)

scant 3/4  Gran Classico bitters

3/4 Byrrh

stirred, garnished with a blood orange twist.

A nice variation, definitely drinkable.  I like the spice and berry notes in Byrrh, it's just a bit too sweet for me, despite the quinine finish.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#188 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Dan, hit up some friends in New Hampshire or Rhode Island (Amirault??)

Edited by Hassouni, 04 February 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#189 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 931 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Made a half-batch of Erik's Great Pumpkin (Milk) Punch over the weekend...tried the first glass this evening and immediately regretted not committing to the full batch.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#190 Melinda Staros

Melinda Staros
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

ooh a nice piece about the Genever Comeback and history from The Independent. Made me want some korenwijn! Mmm. 

http://www.independe...ck-9113137.html

#191 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Sipping a Negroni right now, made with my new bottle of Bad Medicine Gin. As I noted in the liquor store thread, this localish gin is a beast of powerful grassy, bready, peppery flavors. I was hoping some Campari would tame it in a tonic water did not.

Success! It does creat a very interesting Negroni. where the unusual qualities of the gin shine through. As it is a Minnesota gin I have dubbed this not quite variation the Negro-uh-ni, my attempt at rendering the name of the drink in a over the top Minnesota accent.

Negro-uh-ni

1 Oz Bad Medicine Gin

1 Oz Campari

1 Oz Sweet Vermouth (Cinzano)

Stir with ice and and strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with an orange twist.

#192 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

A strange variation tonight that worked out quite well. I started with the recipe for a cocktail called the Irish Elegance form Patrick Gavin Duffy's Bartenders Guide(don't you love thrift store finds?). The original recipe went as so.

4/5 Jigger Jamaican Rum

1/4 Brandy

1 teaspoon  Creme de Violette

1/3 Jigger Pineapple Juice

1/2 Teaspoon Sugar

Juice of 1 Lime

Mixed in a blender and serve.

To which I modified, according to taste and exigency

2 Oz Goslings Dark Rum

0.5 Oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy

1 tsp Rothamn and Winter Creme de Violette

0.5 Oz Pineapple Juice

0.5 Oz Simple Syrup

1 Oz Lime Juice

Shake wiht ice and strain into a rock glass filled with crushed ice.

This was a surprise. Truly and excellent, balanced(maybe a touch too sweet) cocktail. A Tiki with violette. Who knew? Not the most complex thing ever, but very easy drinking with enough to keep me interested. 

#193 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

Haven't gone all-out bitter in a long time. Cynar o'clock. Fernet/Spanish brandy/Ilegal/mole bitters/mint also something I was in the mood for.

• Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#194 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

Everything's better bitter.  Especially that drink.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#195 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

While I'm counting down the hours for my chicken to roast, I'm enjoying a Columbia, made this time with Appleton 12 rather than white rum.  The Columbia is a drink sort of on the sweet side, and I think the Appleton works much better here than white rum.

2 oz Appleton 12

3/4 oz lemon juice

3/4 oz raspberry syrup

Shaken, double strained into coupe, no garnish.  Very nice between bastings.

#196 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

Free Fallin' (Chris Wilkins): 1.5 oz Blanton's, 0.5 oz each Campari, Averna, and maraschino liqueur, orange twist. I was not sure exactly what to expect, but only good things with the ingredient list. It was reminiscent of a Brooklyn with its pronounced orange flavor; the finish is slightly bitter.

12376136554_f6684f6450_z.jpg

• Rafa likes this

#197 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

We enjoyed the Free Fallin' last night.  Just the right sort of bitter for us.  Thanks, FP.

And I've just found Rafa's P.P.X. over on Kindred.  My gawd - that's on the list for tonight!

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

#198 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

We enjoyed the Free Fallin' last night.  Just the right sort of bitter for us.  Thanks, FP.

Good! My husband the Campari hater actually liked it too.

#199 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 659 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

And I've just found Rafa's P.P.X. over on Kindred.  My gawd - that's on the list for tonight!

Just the drink I was putting the last touches on this evening. This being you, Leslie, you may want to increase the Cynar somewhat—say by an ounce or two... :-)

And that would have been quite enough for my liver this evening, but my coworkers are taking me out tonight, and they've promised to get me wasted. I hope they don't kill me.
  • turkoftheplains likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#200 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Just the drink I was putting the last touches on this evening. This being you, Leslie, you may want to increase the Cynar somewhat—say by an ounce or two... :-)

And that would have been quite enough for my liver this evening, but my coworkers are taking me out tonight, and they've promised to get me wasted. I hope they don't kill me.

Hmm.  More Cynar.  There's a concept ...

I'm sure I join with all of us here in also hoping they don't kill you.  For our part, the Hawthorn Lounge is beckoning.  I'll lay the PPX on them and see what they think.

My eG Foodblog

#201 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

Alas, the Hawthorn Lounge had a private function last night and we couldn't get in.  We'll try again tonight.

The upside of this was we got to enjoy our PPX on the couch at home, covered in kittens and watching an episode of the new series of Sherlock (recommended).

PPX.jpg

I had to do the photo like this - the array of ingredients is just so impressive.  Lacking cognac, I used Esplendido Spanish brandy.  It's from Jerez so  might be expected to play nicely with the PX.  The rest was Ilegal mezcal, Sazerac rye, Triana PX and of course Cynar and molé bitters.

Another winner, Rafa; definitely in our ever-more-crowded Top 20.  The mezcal rinse is inspired and gives a nice subtle smokiness when you sip.  After that, the drink is a real smoothie.  What surprised me was how dominant the molé bitters were.  That's not a bad thing; a nice wodge of chocolate on top of caramel/raisin PX can come to visit any time it likes, as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't get quite as carried away with the Cynar as Rafa suggested, but I am able to report that there's not a lot of difference between one and two bar spoonsful.  Maybe I'll chuck a decent amount in next time and see how it goes.  The overall impression is it's pretty sweet (PX will do that); a bit more bitter won't hurt it at all, I suspect.

A couple of questions for the knowledgeable:

• How do you define a 'dash' with the Bittermens products, since they come with a dropper?
  • This recipe says to express the orange peel then discard.  What's the thinking there?  When is it best to drop the peel into the drink; when to squeeze and throw?

My eG Foodblog

#202 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

I believe HC filters most of the color out of its white(ish) añejo after aging, similar to what El Dorado does with its 3 year offering. I don't think it's possible for a spirit to see three years of wood and not take on a lot more color in a climate like Cuba's, unless it's aged in huge Calvados-style barrels with minimum wood contact (which I don't think is the case). 

I second everything Hassouni says about Brugal and the other Cuban-style whites, which incidentally is how the government listed my ethnicity on the most recent census. 

I made an effort to make it to the store today ahead of the current east coast storm.  Must say, the Brugal does not look to me like light rum.  I would describe the color as between Mount Gay Black Barrel and Mount Gay Extra Old which were sitting near it.

What I brought home was a bottle of Busted Barrel that I'm having in a daiquiri at the moment.  I aimed for my preferred:

2 oz Busted Barrel

3/4 oz lime juice

1/4 oz Small Hand syrup

But I botched the pour of syrup since my hand was shaking, and ended up closer to 1/2 an ounce of syrup, too much in my opinion.  I will have to remedy this.  Fortunately I have another lime.

Edit:  I thought a real daiquiri might taste funny after such a sweet one, so instead I made myself a migh-ty:

1 oz Pusser's

1 oz Wray & Nephew

1 oz Appleton 12 (of which I ordered another bottle this afternoon)
3/4 oz Grand Marnier
1 oz lime juice (juice of half a wretchedly ungiving lime)

1/2 oz Small Hand orgeat

My pours were dead on and this is not half bad at all.  Crushed ice, garnished with the spent half lime.  No mint in-house, though I could have used cilantro.  Would not have been the same though.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 12 February 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#203 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

JNW, I wonder how you are preparing your drinks? Normally I would pour the ingredients one at a time into the jigger to measure, so I could always tip some back into the bottle before adding it to the drink if necessary. Maybe that's the way to go?

#204 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

Indeed, normally I would pour one ingredient at a time.  In this case I had 3/4 ounce of lime juice in the measure, so adding a quarter ounce of syrup seemed pretty simple (no pun intended).  But even when I pour out the ingredients one at a time, I hesitate to pour back in the bottle if the jigger has been used for something else.

There are worse things in life than a slightly too sweet daiquiri.

Edit:  spelling.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 13 February 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#205 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

A very entertaining evening at the Hawthorn Lounge last night.

Next week we're getting a bunch of people together for the first of (we hope) many entertaining steampunk cocktail evenings at Hawthorn.  I've posted before about the Rusty Automaton, but last night we decided we needed some more in the repertoire.  It turns out Kindred already has one called the Jules Verne (tequila, açai, elderflower, lime, agave syrup) so we tried Gian's take on that, with Burlesque Bitters in place of the açai spirit - very successful; not something I'd want much of due to my citrus aversion, but certainly pleasant.

Then the real fun started.  We wanted one called H.G. Wells and ended up with the Thyme Machine:

ThymeMachine_EG.jpg

A bit of thought went into this one - Lighthouse Hawthorn Edition gin (Hawthorn Gin, hence H. G.  We considered Hendricks, but Peter felt it wouldn't handle the rest of the ingredients) along with one of the oldest things the bar had (Bénédictine) and the youngest (Greenbar Grand Poppy liqueur), with, of course, fresh thyme as a garnish.  Given the relative amounts I was surprised at how much the poppy came through.  Very good, although the amount of ice did make it a little watery before I was really ready.

Then it was Gian's turn again and he came up with the Smoking Cap (it would have been the Smoking Jacket, but Kindred's got one of those already):

SmokingCap_EG.jpg

This was probably the drink of the evening.  Port, Hawthorn Edition gin again, Gunpowder Rum and falernum, poured through smoke.  Beautifully complex.  Somebody else at the bar had one shortly after this was invented and also liked it a lot.  It's a definite sipper rather than a 'toss it back' drink, but you want to keep sipping to see what it's going to do next.  Smoking caps and jackets were originally intended to keep the smell of pipe/cigarette/cigar smoke out of one's clothes and hair.  This drink poses no danger of stinkiness.

Finally, we handed Peter a challenge.  Between the 1820s and 1840s, Charles Babbage worked on a Difference Engine - an early computer.  He never quite finished, but there have been working models constructed now.  There's a beautiful picture of a Difference Engine here; all brass and cogs and things dear to the heart of any steampunk enthusiast.  I showed Peter a photo, we talked about brass and oil and such and he, seized by inspiration, went forth and dug out a bottle of walnut oil (nuts = bolts, screws, etc. also).  With some barmanly manipulation, he got this to emulsify with blended Scotch (and a touch of Laphroaig, which certainly came through later), egg white and Demerara syrup to produce this masterful column of oily brass:

DifferenceEngine_EG.jpg

Although again there's more lemon in there than I'd normally go for, this was really good - the oil or egg or something tamed the lemon nicely.

So we're now nicely set up for a variety of more or less steampunk-themed cocktails for next Wednesday.  I'll report accordingly.

• barolo, FauxPas and Plantes Vertes like this

My eG Foodblog

#206 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:34 AM

Sounds like a fun evening. Any chance of getting the recipe for the Difference Engine? It sounds tasty, looks tasty and I like the story behind it... and I just happen to have a bottle of walnut oil on hand at the moment.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#207 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Silly me - didn't include a link. I'm on my phone, so this won't be as elegant as I'd like:
http://www.kindredco...fference-engine

My eG Foodblog

#208 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Silly me - didn't include a link. I'm on my phone, so this won't be as elegant as I'd like:
http://www.kindredco...fference-engine

Thanks!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#209 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

PPX. Like it a lot. Another winner, Nadal.

• Rafa likes this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#210 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'm glad to see Rafa 'liking' things again. He'd gone quiet for a day or two; I was worried his coworkers had succeeded in killing him.
  • Rafa likes this

My eG Foodblog