Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
586 replies to this topic

#571 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

Having half a (cheap! juicy!) lime left*, I made my first ever Crafty and Elusive Elk (a rare KC drink that Rafa has no involvement in whatsoever :raz: ). Followed the recipe more or less exactly, except I have Camarena Reposado for the tequila, and Fidencio Classico for the mezcal. And Kaiser P's falernum recipe, since someone (Leslie?) said it blows Velvet out of the seas.

14302448694_c67d639496_c.jpg

This, ladies and gents of the spirits forum, is one hella ballin' drink. Highly highly recommended.

Agree. It's great and a very original combination. Its creator Daniel Warrilow makes interesting stuff. The Lost Cause also by him is worth checking out if you have the ingredients (aquavit, Banks 5 rum, coconut, lemon, lime).

Great stuff.  Recommendation seconded, but Hassouni, my coupe is prettier!

For my taste I think I would cut the falernum in half. 

Yeah, but you did not post a photo of your coupe!

Regarding the falernum, when using homemade (Elmegirab's recipe), I reduce the amount a bit because it can be quite intense.

#572 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, but you did not post a photo of your coupe!.

True.  My lame excuse is that the bench where I shoot drink pictures is covered in bottles, tools, and v3 of Modernist Cuisine.  But here is an old picture of the coupe if you don't mind looking at a daiquiri...

Daiquiri11292013.jpg

• scamhi likes this

#573 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

My coupes are commercial-grade, meant to withstand knocks, mild falls, and are dishwasher safe. If it was just myself I might invest in delicate stuff, but for now, no thanks.

Edited by Hassouni, 30 May 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#574 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

A couple of days ago I finally got around to making the Pink Lady, or as Ted Haigh calls it in Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails, The Secret Cockail, for fear the terms Pink and Lady may scare away the more masculine imbibers. It is however, as good as Ted intimated in his classic volume. The recipe I used was slightly different that Ted's, however.

1.5 Oz Gin (Beefeater)

0.5 Oz Applejack (Laird's Bonded)

1 Oz Lemon Juice

0.5 Oz Grenadine 

1 Egg White

As for tonight, I was looking for a nice strong slug of gin, and likely some dry vermouth to accompany it. But rather that a regular Martini, I espied the cocktail onion in my fridge and decided on a Gibson, 1:1 with Beefeater and Noilly Prat Extra Dry, and two lovely cocktail onions. Sometimes you just need a snack with your drink.

#575 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

I made the unfortunately named Pliny the Elder

Unfortunately named?  I mean he said, "Fortune favours the brave" - shortly before getting taken out by Vesuvius, but if that isn't deserving of getting a drink named after you, what is?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#576 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 957 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Unfortunately named?  I mean he said, "Fortune favours the brave" - shortly before getting taken out by Vesuvius, but if that isn't deserving of getting a drink named after you, what is?

Because, there's probably not a bar with the ingredients to make it where they wouldn't assume you were asking for this [frequently rated the best beer in the world].

• haresfur likes this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#577 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:05 AM

I made the unfortunately named Pliny the Elder, which I only realized after the fact was perhaps in line with it being Negroni Week.

In a Julep cup, muddle 1 tsp of sugar and 2 mint leaves in 1 oz Campari. (I did more of a emphatic stir, as I hate the particular strand of bitterness that comes from abusing mint.) Add 1 oz Punt e Mes, 1 oz Genever (Anchor Genevieve), and 1/2 oz St. George's Absinthe. Stir and fill with crushed ice (I swizzled a bit to get the frost up, then topped with more crushed ice) and garnish with two large mint sprigs.

So, a semi-Improved Genever Negroni, served in the style of a Julep? It was tasty, if a bit mind-bending for a school night.

I made one of these just now--Herbsaint instead of absinthe--because a bottle of riesling just wasn't enough to see me through writing reports. This is a drink that forces you to sit up and pay attention.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#578 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:12 AM

I made my first ever Crafty and Elusive Elk

I had to improvise, using lemon instead of lime and Becherovka for the Velvet Falernum. Still a mighty fine drink -- worth trying the next time you're in the mood for a Margarita.

• Hassouni likes this
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#579 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

Widow's kiss (George Kappeler) before bed:

1 oz Laird's 12

1/2 yellow Chartreuse VEP

1/2 oz Benedictine

Shaken and strained.  Lovely.

#580 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Zombies look like ice tea.

#581 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

I wanted something chewy but not overwhelming for after dinner, before watching one of my favorite movies.  I chose a Neisson daiquiri.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124394/

#582 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

It's hot, it's muggy, and I had an ounce of Chartreuse left.

I present the Minty Chartreuse Rickey, or a Mojito made with Chartreuse and no extra sugar:

10408943_10100170169955211_7775060959215

• Rafa likes this

#583 scratchline

scratchline
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Just made a Crafty and Elusive Elk.  Absolutely delicious.  Used Patron blanco and Los Danzantes reposado.  Great recipe.

Now I'm going to make another!

• Hassouni likes this

#584 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Tried a Vieux Carre with an excess of Bigallet China-China in lieu of Benedictine. Mistake. Good but not as good as the original. I do love Punt e Mes in this recipe, though

Maybe Fernet next time....

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#585 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Last night's Negroni with Junipero gin, Margerum amaro, and Campari. A lot of dried fruit in the Margerum which went well with the juniper-heavy Junipero.

14154990430_1f2f03413a_z.jpg

#586 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Is it still a Negroni without vermouth?

#587 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Oh, the Negroni Police! ;-)

They call it an amaro, but to me it tastes like a slightly bitter sweet vermouth (think Punt e Mes), and I use it as such. Mr Margerum created it for his dad to use in Manhattans.

[Host note: This topic continues here, Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)]

Edited by Mjx, 07 June 2014 - 12:35 AM.
Topic split, host note added.