Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
586 replies to this topic

#391 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 957 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Any others you recommend? I'm thinking of heading there this weekend. 

I had The Bad Habit (Wild Turkey 101 Rye, Cantaloupe, Cynar, Egg White, Laphroaig Quarter Cask) and Will Robinson Swizzle (El Dorado 8 Yr & Spiced Rums, Pineapple, Smith & Cross Rum, Batavia Arrack, Green Chartreuse). I'm not a peaty scotch guy, but everything else in The Bad Habit sounded good, and I'm glad I went with it. The swizzle is a pretty solid tiki concoction.

If I'd stuck around longer I'd probably have gone for the Bols Deep, a genever & rye milk-clarified punch, but the Forgetful Jones with pistachio-black pepper falernum and the wine-based Zwack Morris also look intriguing.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#392 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

A recent discovery on Kindred was the Armistice, which I made last night (rye, dry vermouth, Chartreuse, Maraschino, bitters - I used The Bitter Truth Creole).  Delicious; perhaps the most well-balanced cocktail we've had.  Nothing - even the Chartreuse - really jumped out; everything just blended into a very harmonious whole.

Highly recommended.  Our Top 10 now must have at least 50 items in it.

• FrogPrincesse and Rafa like this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#393 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Tried the Paper Trail from Kindred the other night.  My friend and I both liked it.  Good use for Salers and, I suspect Suze as well.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#394 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for pointing that one out. I'm always on the lookout for recipes using Suze!
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#395 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Abano is much less subtle than Nonino. It's got a unique profile. Nonino (or maybe Averna) + a bit of Blackstrap + a pinch of black pepper and cinnamon might get you close. 

Yes. The black pepper is unique, at least among the amari I know. 

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#396 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

A recent discovery on Kindred was the Armistice, which I made last night (rye, dry vermouth, Chartreuse, Maraschino, bitters - I used The Bitter Truth Creole).  Delicious; perhaps the most well-balanced cocktail we've had.  Nothing - even the Chartreuse - really jumped out; everything just blended into a very harmonious whole.

Thanks for the recommendation, this is definitely a well-balanced drink. The Chartreuse did jump out at me just a little, but with all of the herbal/menthol notes on the finish and none of the sweetness. Moving this into the rotation.

#397 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:38 AM

A Kindred/New York Times recipe: Giving Tree. First wine cocktail I can remember having. Equal parts red wine (I used an Australian Shiraz), rye and Drambuie with a dash each of Angostura bitters and Fee's Whisky Barrel bitters. Big. Sweet. Fruity. Bitter. Spicy. I like this.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#398 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Just now finished a Quin Quina Crusta, after having noticed it while re-reading the Bonal thread.  When I clicked on the Kindred link I attempted to add it to my cocktail book, only to discover it was already in there, but for reasons unknown I had never actually made one.  I'm glad I finally did, even after looking at the ingredient list with a bit of skeptcial eye.  Wonderful drink.  I skipped the "crusta" part, however, and made it up instead of over ice.

BTW, I tried that Armistice, too after seeing Leslie's post.  It's everything it says on the tin!

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#399 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

Soooo where to begin.

Tonight:

Leftover Silk Punch (my Arabic mulberry-based variant on a Roman punch)

Brooklynite

Scofflaw

Trinidad Sour 

Basra Daiquiri (with chai numi basra concentrate instead of lime juice)

Saz'iraq (Guess what: Arabic sazerac, with my homemade sharqtreuse rinse and homemade Arabian Bitters)

Infante with mezcal instead of tequila (smoky!)

Had 2 friends over, so I didn't have all the above, but I certainly had a majority and samples of the rest

#400 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

Armistice subbing in Americano for the regular dry vermouth as Cocchi is all I have. I liked it, even though I can appreciate that it's doubtlessly different to the original. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#401 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

Continuing on my Cognac craze, tonight was Major Unett's take on Mississippi punch:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/107674-batavia-arrack/?p=1467817

1 wine glass Pierre Ferrand 1840

1 oz S&C

1 Tablespoon arrack

juice of one small lemon

1 Tablespoon sugar

Rather than shake and dump I wanted a slower drink.  I strained over a two inch Tovolo cube.  I've been working on clear ice, and while not perfect, I am close.  Garnish was a slice of lemon and a sprig of mint.

Wow, was this good.  I could use another, but with bread and cheese for dinner I think I'll switch to wine.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 06 April 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#402 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

How do you define a wine glass?

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#403 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

How do you define a wine glass?

Two ounces, according to Splificator.

#404 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

We made some Corpse Revivers #2. They induced a form of prospective drunkenness whereby I accidentally made four instead of two. Then we drank them both/all. Then I really lost count.

004 (480x640).jpg

• haresfur and Rafa like this

#405 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Navy Grog courtesy of Hogo, also Ciaociaro and soda courtesy of Passenger

#406 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

Made a couple Fernet Brankenstein's with the last of my bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. Initially I had some reservations about the vermouth/Fernet/mint/Uigeadail combo but once the drink settled a while it warmed on me as fast as an induction cooktop. Real good. Wondering which Islay/Skye I'll use next to scratch the Fernet Brankenstein itch. Options include Talisker Distiller's, Bruichladdich 10 and some indie bottlings of Bowmore, Coal Ila and Laphroaig. Of course, there's an argument for using a bold but non-island malt such as Auchentoshan or anCnoc. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#407 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

I haven't posted anything in a while, but I thought I'd post a recipe today to help celebrate the life and work of Steven Shaw who created an amazing community here that I always found very inspiring. I never actually met Steven Shaw but I've met many people from the egullet community in person, which always has been a great experience, and one egulleter and his wife went on to become among my very best friends whom I see nearly every week to share a drink or a meal. I probably would be stuck working as an economist if Steven Shaw's egullet community didn't get me deeper into the culinary arts and really expand my mind.

1.5 oz. wire works gin

.75 oz. brillet pineau des charents

.75 oz. lemon juice

bar spoon of Judith's Seville orange marmalade (the gift of a beloved bar regular)

this was pretty darn tasty. without egullet would anybody really be drinking such lovely stuff as Pineau des Charentes? would the cocktail renaissance have grown so big I can drink a pretty good gin made in south Boston? I really owe a lot to Steven Shaw and everyone that makes up the egullet community. thank you all.

• FrogPrincesse, Czequershuus and Rafa like this
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#408 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Those interested in following bostonapothecary in a tribute to Steven can do so here. 

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#409 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

BTW, I tried that Armistice, too after seeing Leslie's post.  It's everything it says on the tin!

I have to agree with these sentiments upon trying the Armistice tonight after a particularly trying day at work. An exceedingly well balanced, yet complex drink. 

#410 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:40 AM

A lovely Old Fashioned made with Basement Bitters and Bulleit 95 rye.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#411 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 957 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

Made my inaugural trip to pdt last night...well, actually I'd been there a few times before I lived in NYC, but this was the first time I was able to get past the front door.

Started with a Victor's Special:

2 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
.75 oz Blood Orange Juice 
.75 oz Cynar 
.5 oz Cardamaro 

Finished with a Benton's Old Fashioned.

• Rafa likes this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#412 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Made my inaugural trip to pdt last night...well, actually I'd been there a few times before I lived in NYC, but this was the first time I was able to get past the front door.

Started with a Victor's Special:

2 oz Wild Turkey 101 Rye
.75 oz Blood Orange Juice 
.75 oz Cynar 
.5 oz Cardamaro 

Finished with a Benton's Old Fashioned.

Like, into the hot dog place, or through the phone booth?

#413 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 957 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

Like, into the hot dog place, or through the phone booth?

I'd never been into the bar proper. Twice previously I'd stopped by when in the area to see if they might have a seat, but didn't make it past the phone booth, as there was no more availability at the bar for the evening, so last night I made sure to show up close to opening. Strangely, I ate crif dogs long before I knew that pdt existed.

DeVoto, The Hour

#414 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

It's OK, I went to PDT without realizing what Crif Dogs was! It's funny, I went both there and Little Branch on a Saturday evening in 2011 and neither were very crowded....

Death & Co, on the other hand, I have never been able to get into.

#415 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 957 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

It's OK, I went to PDT without realizing what Crif Dogs was! It's funny, I went both there and Little Branch on a Saturday evening in 2011 and neither were very crowded....

Death & Co, on the other hand, I have never been able to get into.

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded," in effect.

Tonight I made myself a Martinez using Bittercube's barrel aged cherry bitters, which arrived yesterday. They feature top notes of cherry accentuated by angelica, lemon peel & juniper...pretty much ideal for mixing with gin and Leopold Bros' stellar maraschino. This is one of the best drinks I've made in some time.

Bk5KXPyIUAATF40.jpg

Edited by KD1191, 10 April 2014 - 03:34 PM.

DeVoto, The Hour

#416 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

Rusty Nail with 3:1 anCnoc to Drambuie.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#417 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

Make mine a double.

On a bit of a Rusty Nail kick because I want to get the Drambuie 15, even though it's taken me ... shit ... eighteen months? to get half way through a 350 mL bottle of the regular stuff. You know, the regular Drambuie is basically half the price of the aged, scotch-focused variant. So. Yeah. Anyway. 3:1 of Glenfarclas 15 to standard Drambuie. Was intending to make a normal sized one, with two ounces of scotch, but there was just only a tiny wee bit in the bottle (that ended up not being a tiny wee bit when I actually poured it out) that I just had to go all out. Boozy and fucking good. Two of these would put you and your unborn grandchildren and everyone in between in the hospital getting your stomachs pumped.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#418 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

Inspired by the lovelies of this subforum, in addition to a Navy Grog, tonight I made a Professional (WT101 and SC for the two variables) and a Tequila Gumption (Camarena Reposado and Fidencio Classico for those two variables).

I have to say, I preferred the latter drink. The Professional just seems like it's trying to hide the Campari with other stuff, but the Campari still comes through like a freight train, without the vermouth of a negroni to balance it out. 

#419 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

Make mine a double.

On a bit of a Rusty Nail kick because I want to get the Drambuie 15, even though it's taken me ... shit ... eighteen months? to get half way through a 350 mL bottle of the regular stuff. You know, the regular Drambuie is basically half the price of the aged, scotch-focused variant. So. Yeah. Anyway. 3:1 of Glenfarclas 15 to standard Drambuie. Was intending to make a normal sized one, with two ounces of scotch, but there was just only a tiny wee bit in the bottle (that ended up not being a tiny wee bit when I actually poured it out) that I just had to go all out. Boozy and fucking good. Two of these would put you and your unborn grandchildren and everyone in between in the hospital getting your stomachs pumped.

I've been working on mine too with the same goal in mind. But it's a full size bottle so I still have a long way to go.

#420 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

Two things from the beta book: The Fall of Man and The Last Mechanical Art. Now that I have a nice mezcal the latter is actually a nice drink. Use shit mezcal in that one and you know about it.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne