Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
586 replies to this topic

#361 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Retro Cointreau.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#362 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

Retro how?

#363 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 954 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Retro Cointreau.

Yeah, tax stamped for Montana (1981, if I'm reading it right)...found in my dad's liquor cabinet a few years back.

Edited by KD1191, 23 March 2014 - 10:39 AM.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#364 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Adapted from the 4, 5, 6 at Brick & Mortar, Cambridge MA

1 1/2 oz Islay Scotch (Bowmore legend)

3/4 oz Luxardo Abano

1/2 oz El Dorado 15

Stirred, rocks. They served it up with demerara syrup, Sheep Dip, and unknown ratios. I like my version a bit better. Also made it with rye, which was excellent. Maybe a little lemon bitters or expressed peel would be nice next time.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#365 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

What do you know? I came home from work today and a mysterious package was on my door step. A bottle of an utterly and totally snobbishly exclusive organic (right?) nano batch spirit: Colonel Hawthorne's Jolly Good Gin. Using as much creativity as a teacher can possibly possess on a Monday evening, I stirred together a gin and tonic: a generous amount of Jolly Good gin and just a bit of Cascade tonic water. No citrus/cucumber/capsicum/et al. 

It has a maltiness that reminds me of, yes, genever and the St George dry rye gin but it's more restrained, more subdued. It actually plays well with tonic water. I mean, it plays well with a bitter tonic water. I could see it being maybe a little unfriendly with a sweeter tonic.

• haresfur likes this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#366 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Sounds like remarkable stuff. Now everybody will want some.

Glad it survived the trip.
  • Plantes Vertes likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#367 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

Ward Eight, this time with Whistlepig.  And unlike two nights ago, I took particular care to keep the ratio of lemon and valencia orange juice even.

2 oz Whistlepig

3/4 oz lemon juice

3/4 oz valencia orange juice

1 teaspoon grenadine

Please note that this is not exacly the same recipe I used to test the Taylor.  For one thing I used less alcohol.  Forgive me that I just had five (smallish) glasses of rye (for science), and plan to enjoy wine with dinner.  I have work tomorrow.

Anyhow, I must confess I liked the previous Ward Eight better.  There is a bitterness here that I did not have using Taylor.  But at least with Whistlepig I still taste the rye, which was not the case with Rittenhouse.

#368 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Doing some experimentation on Clover Club variations (I haven't had an actual CC yet, but let's overlook that)

1.5 Beefeater

.75 meyer lemon juice

.25 Lebanese mulberry syrup

1 egg white, which came out to 1.5 oz!

Dry shake then wet shake, luscious foam for days...except....not a v good drink. The Beefeater didn't play so nice with the rest, and 1.5 fucking ounces of egg white has me feeling literally nauseated. Blargh. So much for that experiment. It's one thing when you drink so much you wanna hurl, but another when a single drink takes you there  :hmmm:

(For what it's worth, the exact same batch of eggs was used recently for a Ramos gin fizz, and no issues...)

Edited by Hassouni, 24 March 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#369 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

Although it breaks the 'JRRT' mould, Inner Circle rum (from Australia) makes a particularly fine Tolkien. Thanks, Chris T.
  • ChrisTaylor likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#370 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

Found this today.

bomb.jpg

It is a 56% by volume (112 proof) spirit distilled from sorghum. From Beijing. It comes in a 100ml bottle and there are three grades / strengths. This one is the highest. $1.60 (USD), £1.00 (GBP). It is but one brand of 'erguotou' (二锅头) which means 'second distillation'.

Probably not advisable to attempt to take onto a plane.

(Actually, not advisable to even buy. It is rank!)

Edited by liuzhou, 25 March 2014 - 07:57 AM.

• barolo and ChrisTaylor like this

#371 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

Get some Jager and make some Bomb Bombs.

• KD1191 likes this

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#372 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

The 100ml size looks like it's ready for a rag to be tucked into the neck.

• scubadoo97, ChrisTaylor and Hassouni like this
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#373 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Tonight I was excited because I took delivery of a new, larger mai tai tumbler.  Finally I could assemble a generously proportioned mai tai!  Alas, it arrived with the rim chipped.

Nonetheless have been consoling myself with mai tais.  So many combinations!  For what it's worth, the current version is:

1 oz Appleton 12

1 oz Pusser's

1 oz W&N

1/2 oz Cointreau

1 oz lime juice

1/2 oz orgeat

As long as I hold Cointreau to half an ounce it works.  More than that it overpowers everything else.  I have plenty of ice, limes (tragically at a dollar each), with an abundance fresh mint...and the morning is yet young.  No shortage of rum either.  Or peanuts.

Edit:  how could I forget the lime juice!

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 25 March 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#374 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

Saziraq. The Middle East-inspired Sazerac, experimenting for my pop up bar concept

• 2 oz Pikesville rye
  • a good blob of what I'm guessing was reconstituted evaporated cane juice syrup (it's been in my fridge for ages...too dark for refined sugar syrup and too light for Demerara syrup)
  • a dash or two of my newly minted Arabian Bitters (future batches need a new recipe, but I'm pleased at how the ad hoc recipe I devised turned out)
  • a spritz of Sharqtreuse (my homemade Arabic-flavored Chartreuse analogue - Sharq meaning "east" in Arabic) instead of the absinthe rinse
  • The oils from a swatch of Meyer lemon peel (cos I had half of one lying around)

Damn good if I say so myself!

Edited by Hassouni, 25 March 2014 - 09:52 PM.

• Rafa likes this

#375 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Current mai tai in progress:

1 oz Appleton 12

1 oz Atlantico

1 oz S&C

1/2 oz Cointreau

1 oz lime juice (generous)

1/2 oz orgeat

Seems a little bit too sweet and the half ounce Cointreau is now too much.  Not sure why.  Hard to beat Appleton, Pusser's, and W&N.  Not complaining too much however.

I like S&C in a mai tai but I think W&N trumps it though.

#376 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

From what I know about Atlantico, that's probably why your drink is too sweet.

#377 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

OK, now:

1 oz Appleton 12

1 oz Atlantico

1 oz W&N

1/2 oz Grand Marnier

1 1/4 oz lime juice

1/2 oz orgeat

As a quondam scientist I changed two variables at once, so shoot me.  Actually, please don't.  This recipe is a tad too sweet (at least for me at the moment) but not bad at all.  The mint is a bit wilted by now but still very fragrant.  How I have learned to love mint!  To say nothing of good rum.

#378 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

I'll have to report on Atlantico neat, but perhaps not tonight.  I can say it is smooth.

#379 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Smoothness is usually a factor of lots of sugar, or alternatively loooong aging. Reviews I've read of various Atlantico rums would suggest the former

#380 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

You are so right.  I'm having a glass now for the first time.  No more Atlantico in a mai tai for me.  However it is otherwise pretty good, so I'll try to use it up in something where the sugar works.

#381 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

As I found for the sugar bomby El Dorado 12, just make an old fashioned with it, omitting the sugar, so just the rum and bitters on the rocks

#382 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

My Facespace feed was plastered with a recipe for this: Fernet Me Not. It's okay. Despite having different ingredients it reminds me of something served at Goldilocks, a bar in the Melbourne CBD. This something is simply a fair quantity of Fernet topped with Sarsaparilla. I guess it goes to show: damn near whatever you mix it with, Fernet will walk over anything.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#383 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

After resurrecting my first  zombie tonight I followed with a Vic's mai tai, perhaps my favorite drink.  I was struck how in comparison how one dimensional the mai tai seemed.  I was then compelled to watch Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space, the greatest zombie movie of all time.

Dinner was peanuts.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#384 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

The Zombie's a hell of a thing, eh?

Edited by Hassouni, 30 March 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#385 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

After two nights of zombies I'm sitting here with a very nice Autumn in Jersey, a bowl of peanuts, and my chemistry set of dropper bottles:  tincture of cinnamon and Jade.

#386 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:04 AM

Adapted from the 4, 5, 6 at Brick & Mortar, Cambridge MA

1 1/2 oz Islay Scotch (Bowmore legend)

3/4 oz Luxardo Abano

1/2 oz El Dorado 15

Stirred, rocks. They served it up with demerara syrup, Sheep Dip, and unknown ratios. I like my version a bit better. Also made it with rye, which was excellent. Maybe a little lemon bitters or expressed peel would be nice next time.

Is Abano anything like Nonino?

Could you recommend any substitutions? 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#387 naomi12

naomi12
  • general member
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

I am planning on making Milk Punch. Ingredients are Grated nutmeg, Sugar, Bourbon, half& half and vanilla exact

#388 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

Is Abano anything like Nonino?

Could you recommend any substitutions? 

Abano is much less subtle than Nonino. It's got a unique profile. Nonino (or maybe Averna) + a bit of Blackstrap + a pinch of black pepper and cinnamon might get you close. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#389 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 954 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Had a few drinks off of Pouring Ribbons' new menu on Saturday. They were all great, but one has stuck with me...

Sedgwick Avenue: La Favorite Ambre, Cocchi Vermouth Di Torino, Junipero Gin, Orange Marmalade, BBQ Bitters

It started with a question, "What's with the gin in this rum drink?" The explanation, "It's a Bronx riff," followed by a lengthy dissertation containing some of the finest cocktail nerdery I've witnessed in recent years, both surprised and excited me, the Bronx being one of my favorite classic cocktails. I may never understand it, but the combination of the funky aged rhum and a dash of pineapple juice (not mentioned on the menu description) produced some crazy chemistry that evoked the aroma of the missing dry vermouth. It's the sort of drink where you just stare off into space for awhile, and all you can say is, "Huh..."

Edited by KD1191, 01 April 2014 - 02:28 PM.

• FrogPrincesse and Rafa like this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#390 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

Any others you recommend? I'm thinking of heading there this weekend. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937