Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
584 replies to this topic

#511 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,566 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Franci:  brilliant idea.

#512 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

Trimmed and glued ribeye cap, pommes puree, kale sauteed in smoked rendered ribeye fat, marchand de vin

IMG_2852_zpscbf110e9.jpeg

• demiglace, gfweb, Shelby and 3 others like this

#513 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,566 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

like the 'glued' part.   in MC that part kept me up all night.

esp for Lamb and High End Beef.

Yum your way !

#514 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

image.jpg

Sa cha beef and broccoli. Had to try sa cha sauce. Didn't like it.
  • Franci, Ann_T, Shelby and 1 other like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#515 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Trimmed and glued ribeye cap, pommes puree, kale sauteed in smoked rendered ribeye fat, marchand de vin

IMG_2852_zpscbf110e9.jpeg

can you describe what glued means. 

#516 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

Russian comfort food in snow laden Washington DC.  So called herring under fur. Herring on the bottom, layered with carrots, onions, potatoes, beets with healthy dose of mayo.  Vodka shots optional but highly recommended.

Attached Images

• Image.jpg

• demiglace, C. sapidus, basquecook and 2 others like this

#517 Constantin Peters

Constantin Peters
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

med. rare pork neck on dijon braised brussel sprouts on crispy bottomed fried rice.

124c685.jpg

Edited by Constantin Peters, 03 March 2014 - 03:41 PM.

• demiglace, Ann_T, gfweb and 5 others like this

#518 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

can you describe what glued means. 

Literally that - stuck together with 'meat glue' (transglutaminase).  See here.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#519 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

image.jpg

Chili with Beans
  • Toliver, demiglace, Ann_T and 3 others like this

#520 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

The other day my husband came back with a beautiful pork belly, even the butcher at whole foods was compelled to take a picture. 4 pounds

image.jpg

I might have actually tried origamicrane recipe at the time, remember a good belly when still living in London, but after you guys in the cook off pulled this out again, I couldn't pass it.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It was very nice but we had it only with some salad and some sauté' vegetables, plus kimchi. I would have like some buns to eat along, just because is so rich.
  • scubadoo97, demiglace, Ann_T and 11 others like this

#521 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

A hash with pulled pork barbecue (I cheated; went down the street to the barbecue joint and picked up a pound) and sweet potatoes; black-eyed pea cassoulet; vinegar-based slaw with dry mustard and turmeric.

bbq hash.jpg

• Toliver, demiglace, Ann_T and 3 others like this
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#522 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Robirdstx,  Nice looking bowl of Chili.

Lamb%20shanks%20with%20Fassolakia%20Lade

Slow Roasted Lamb Shank, Greek Style

Lamb%20Shanks%20February%2028th%2C%20201

with Fassolakia Iadera.

• scubadoo97, demiglace, C. sapidus and 4 others like this

#523 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

Franci, incredible. I forgot about your vintage stove! How are you finding actually working with it? It's a thing of beauty.

#524 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Franci, incredible. I forgot about your vintage stove! How are you finding actually working with it? It's a thing of beauty.

Just look at that blissfully blistered pork rind!!!

OMG!!!

dcarch

#525 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

tonight we had dinner with old friends.. 

Started with cooked scallops on the cast iron with Japanese Eggplant.  Sliced thin, cooked with a chinese green sauce. pepper, ginger, scallion, cilantro, sweet soy, soy, garlic, sugar, a pad of butter. a few other things. 

12920636053_c01014cecb_z.jpg

this beautiful broiled mackerel with radicchio treviso, various vinegar dressings.  This was so amazing.. fish, cooked perfectly.

12920579805_3673fde426_z.jpg

Duck with risotto:

12920975504_54e2ee0be9_z.jpg

12920676793_254df4f135_z.jpg

Fig sauce or mustardo

12920979834_e71295a3e8_z.jpgthi

risotto had this triple cream raw goat thrown in at the end. like 3 or 4 tablespoons. 

12920573815_67fa0ff510_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook, 03 March 2014 - 10:46 PM.

• scubadoo97, demiglace, Franci and 6 others like this

#526 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

Raw goat? Ah ... cheese!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#527 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

Early dinner last night:

• Deep-fried firm tofu chunky slices, sort-of an atsu-age., a.k.a. 炸豆腐 (Yale Cantonese: ja3 dou6 fu6) using Chinese terminology.  The tofu was pressed for a bit to get more water out of it before slicing and frying.  Eaten with sliced scallions, grated raw daikon and a sweet chilli dipping sauce [Lingham's] mixed with fresh lime juice.

• Soba noodles (with yam); dressed with finely chopped Romaine lettuce heart leaves, katsuobushi, chopped scallions, grated daikon, and soba shoyu [Assi] mixed with a little Izu oroshi-wasabi paste.

DSCN0723a_800.jpg

DSCN0725a_800.jpg

• Toliver, demiglace, Franci and 6 others like this

#528 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

Basquecook, are those figs look very good! Dry, soaked?

When duck and foie gras were abundant I use to make this dish of foie gras/duck/figs that I loved so much. 

Thanks, Patrick. I know the stove looks charming but after 6 months of using it, I'm not such a huge fan anymore. If I could, I would like a mix of induction and gas. There were some functions I just loved on induction and I miss (timer on each burner and low simmer, rapid boil, more consistent cooking with my pressure cooker).

The oven is just a pain! Even at lowest setting once it's warm doesn't go below 130 Celsius! So forget slow brasing, You need to turn on and off to keep it low. It's just gas, no other functions, of course and it's no self cleaning. I HUGE pain for me. I hate this oven.

The broiler rocks. Wonderful, For the pork I was able to move the pan around and use it almost like a torch, something you cannot do with a regular broiler

#529 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

Basquecook, are those figs look very good! Dry, soaked?

When duck and foie gras were abundant I use to make this dish of foie gras/duck/figs that I loved so much. 

Yes, yes.. Dried figs..  Served the sliced duck over the risotto and then topped with the fig sauce.    I serve a similar duck dish at catering events.  I make a cherry demi glace sauce with a chunk of foie and sliced duck and add a bruleed pineapple ring.. Your fig dish sounds similar and really exciting.   Can you describe it more, I will have to give it a go during some event.  

#530 Ranz

Ranz
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Early dinner last night:

• Deep-fried firm tofu chunky slices, sort-of an atsu-age., a.k.a. 炸豆腐 (Yale Cantonese: ja3 dou6 fu6) using Chinese terminology.  The tofu was pressed for a bit to get more water out of it before slicing and frying.  Eaten with sliced scallions, grated raw daikon and a sweet chilli dipping sauce [Lingham's] mixed with fresh lime juice.

• Soba noodles (with yam); dressed with finely chopped Romaine lettuce heart leaves, katsuobushi, chopped scallions, grated daikon, and soba shoyu [Assi] mixed with a little Izu oroshi-wasabi paste.

attachicon.gifDSCN0723a_800.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0725a_800.jpg

That is beautiful.

Edited by Ranz, 04 March 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#531 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

Yes, yes.. Dried figs..  Served the sliced duck over the risotto and then topped with the fig sauce.    I serve a similar duck dish at catering events.  I make a cherry demi glace sauce with a chunk of foie and sliced duck and add a bruleed pineapple ring.. Your fig dish sounds similar and really exciting.   Can you describe it more, I will have to give it a go during some event.  

I got the idea from a Gordon Ramsay's recipe for calf's liver. It's very simple but I like it.

Basically you mash some fig pulp and combine with a vinagrette (with a touch of lemon, vinegar of your choice). Caramelized some figs in duck fat (or foie fat). Cook duck breast and fresh foie. After I remove most of the fat I just scape the pan with my fig dressing and plate.

#532 Paul_C

Paul_C
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

We went out last night for a modernist take on Indian cuisine...
image.jpg
Onion bhaji
image.jpg
Sourdough naan bread
image.jpg
Scallop tartare, pomegranate, gunpowder seasoning and a scallop samosa
image.jpg
Mixed vegetables
image.jpg
Butter chicken and tori
image.jpg
Chukkandar gosht (Beetroot and Lamb) with tarka daal
image.jpg
Rhubarb and tea
image.jpg
Ananas crumble (pineapple & black pepper) with white chocolate powder & sauce
  • gfweb, Shelby and rotuts like this

#533 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Simple but satisfying dinner last night. Delmonico steak (cast iron skillet method) (not shown - the bone which is my favorite part after the cap of course), red carrots (cooked in foil with cumin and dry vermouth), My Bloody Valentine red ale from AleSmith, ciabatta bun from Bread & Cie.

12920817025_25dfaee1c2_z.jpg

• Toliver, demiglace, Franci and 3 others like this

#534 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 769 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

12920975504_54e2ee0be9_z.jpg

12920676793_254df4f135_z.jpg

This almost certainly could have benefited from a longer rest. I like to let duck breasts, and most meat for that matter, rest for a long time after I cook it, then I quickly reheat at a high temp, say around 500F, or as high as your oven gets, for 1 or 2 mins. The meat will be warm, and the juice will be inside, rather than on the cutting board. I picked up the technique after watching a few dinner services at Daniel, where it is the norm. 

• rotuts likes this

#535 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

How long of a rest would you recommend?

#536 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

I totally, agree.. 4 people drank 5 bottles of wine. This was the last course and we sat around the island in the kitchen while I was grilling the two breasts.  But yeh, when I am cooking for customers or cooking on a normal night, I am very aware of resting meat.  Also, because of the photo accent the camera used causing a high red balance , it looks like there is a lot more juice then there was..  It may seem like it is pools but, that was not the case. 

Edited by basquecook, 04 March 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#537 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 769 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

How long of a rest would you recommend?

At least as long as it took to cook. This also applies to some fish, such as when you cook turbot on the bone. One exception would be proteins that are cooked, slowly, at a low temp, such as a piece of beef fillet in a 300F oven, which can rest for 10 minutes, then be eaten straight away, or something like a sweetbread which retains heat very well, and is perfect after a 10 minute rest. 

#538 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

At least as long as it took to cook. This also applies to some fish, such as when you cook turbot on the bone.

Thanks. Usually I rest for half as long as the cooking time, but I noticed that duck breasts need longer. Good tip on reheating afterwards.

#539 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

Garlic-black bean pan-fried fish – Partly fry fish fillets (haddock) and remove. Stir-fry a chopped head of garlic, knob of ginger, salted fermented black beans, and cilantro stems. Add dark soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, black pepper, and cayenne, and reduce. Remove half of the black bean mixture, return fish to the wok, cover with the remaining mixture, and cook until done. Garnish with cilantro.

Had a heck of a time keeping the haddock from flaking to pieces. Need to use a sturdier fish next time. Served with jasmine rice and salad.

p249646298-4.jpg

• demiglace, Shelby, basquecook and 2 others like this

#540 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Tonight we had some lemon,onion roasted potatoes, mackerel and cime di rapa
image.jpg
image.jpg
  • demiglace, basquecook, patrickamory and 2 others like this