Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Best Cook in Your Family

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 nasi goreng

nasi goreng
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

It's a toss up between me and my dad.
My mam was a competent cook, but didn't enjoy it much.
My dad cooked in the weekends and during holidays and when he retired he did all the cooking. My mam made a mean hachee though, as well as a white bean dish!
My brother can cook if he wants to, which is not too ofter.

My dad grew up in the east indies and when everyone in holland was still living on potatoes, boiled veges and a piece of meat, we ate rice, pasta, potatoes etc etc.
I liked spending time with my dad, so suppose thats were I picked up my love for cooking (esp SE Asian food).

My mam passed a way quite a while ago. My dad is in his eighties now, lives on his own and still cooks for himself eveyday
  • judiu, Pam R and Porthos like this

#32 Meredith380

Meredith380
  • legacy participant
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Between my husband and I, he has the better knife skills, I have more creativity.

#33 phatj

phatj
  • participating member
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

In my immediate family, it's me by a country mile, except for baked goods. My wife cooks only if she has to and while she does fine, her range is pretty limited. She does however bake very fine breads, pies, cookies, and cakes though, something that I've never had the inclination to get into much.

My dad began to take over cooking duties from my mom when I was a teenager, and he, like me, is not afraid to try new things, whereas she's pretty much a Betty Crocker gal, but I've outpaced him by far, I think. The best cook in my extended family other than me is undoubtedly my maternal uncle, who has an artistic flair. Which of the two of us is better is hard to say, since I see him so rarely (he lives in Washington state, I live in Pennsylvania). 

• judiu and Porthos like this