Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Liquid Nitrogen Dewars: where to purchase, what size, general advice?

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 msacuisine

msacuisine
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

I'd like to pick up a liquid nitrogen dewer, but they seem quite expensive, so I want to make a good choice. Does anyone have advice on the best size for kitchen use? Where are some sources to procure one at a reasonable price? Any other advice about purchasing one?

Thanks.

#2 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

You can use  a old fashioned thermos with a glass liner SO LONG AS YOU DRILL A VENT HOLE IN THE CAP TO PREVENT EXPLOSIONS. I have done this for years quite safely. The only downside is the small volume of most thermoses.

You could probably use a insulated plastic drink carboy like you see at picnics or construction sites to get a larger volume. SO LONG AS YOU DRILL A VENT HOLE IN THE CAP TO PREVENT EXPLOSIONS.

Don't forget the  vent.

• glennbech and Blether like this

#3 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

Good advice, gfweb.

Where does one go to get liquid nitrogen with which to fill the carboy, or the thermos bottle, or the dewer, for home use?  Is it becoming widely available outside the major cities? I'm curious about this, having only ever acquired LN2 in small quantities from the university chem lab. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#4 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:03 AM

That's where I've always gotten mine.

#5 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

I get mine at a chemistry supply house.  But since I'm in Ecuador, ymmv.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#6 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

That's where I've always gotten mine.

Is it because you have an "in" with the stock person, or do they allow you to purchase it?  I suppose I'll have to ask my local universities, if I decide to pursue this, what their policy is.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#7 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,415 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

Companies like Praxair that supply gasses to industry and for medical purposes have liquid nitrogen.  Also dry ice.  

#8 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

I only use the LN2 at work so no subterfuge is needed.

Kerry's suggestion is a good one.

#9 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,415 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

To be honest - work is where I get mine too!  But my dry ice I get from Praxair (he trades me for chocolate!)

#10 Samir Chopra

Samir Chopra
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Has anyone in the bay ares been able to purchase liquid nitrogen with any success?  I've tried contacting Praxair near San Francisco but they did not allow me to purchase any LN2 from them.

#11 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

Has anyone in the bay ares been able to purchase liquid nitrogen with any success?  I've tried contacting Praxair near San Francisco but they did not allow me to purchase any LN2 from them.

If you don't need a big volume you might ask your dermatologist if she'd sell you some.

#12 William Colsher

William Colsher
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

Do those of you who use LN2 also use the insulated bowl, gloves, etc?

#13 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

I do not.  I used to when I first started until I learned how it moved when poured into my bowl.

• William Colsher likes this

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist