Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#91 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

An experiment with cooking beets worked out really nicely. I steam roasted them at 400°F for about 40 minutes, and they were perfectly cooked.

There are a couple of steam settings on the oven.  One is "steam" and another is "super steam."  The "steam" setting goes up to 210°F, while the "super steam" setting allows for a much higher temperature, and that's the setting I used.  I don't know if it also makes more steam, but it went through about 1/3 of the water tank in that 40 minutes.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#92 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

did you peel those beets?  

what steam setting allows for both the extra humidity and browning?

hope to use my SteamBoy over the next few days.  its starting to talk to me.

like a whisper.

like the b'sprouts and bacon.  etc

Edited by rotuts, 21 January 2014 - 05:28 AM.

#93 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

I don't peel the beets before roasting.

The convection bake/steam setting seems to be the best one for browning.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#94 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

OK - so my next experiment is/was bread during the snow storm today.  Simply following the recipe for "Rustic Italian Bread" from the recipe booklet that came with the oven.  Well, not simply, because the recipe calls for proofing active dry yeast with sugar - I mean really, who the fuck does that for rustic Italian bread? Oh, it also calls for a first rise of 1 hour  and a second rise of one hour, but my first rise lasted about 2.5 hours until the dough doubled - as is to be expected.  I made the whole dough in my Cuisinart food processor, basically doing nothing by hand (since I still can't use one of my arms for another 4 weeks!).  So it's a Cuisinart Rustic Italian bread  :cool: .

After the 2 rises and the proofing which takes place in the oven on the steam function set to 100°F, I reset the oven to the Bread function at 400°F, and let it rip for 35 minutes. Here's what the result looks like...

2014_01 Bread in Cuisinart.JPG

You know what?  It doesn't taste bad - it certainly doesn't have the crumb structure or the flavor of a slow-risen, overnight rise in the fridge.  But for all-in-one-day bread - it's not bad.   Some futzing with the recipe might make for a really nice loaf.

Oh, I imagine that focaccia will be quite good.

• gfweb likes this
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#95 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

Ooooooooooooooooh

do many thanks for this

the storm is coming my way.

I had hoped that the Cuisi SteamBoy might get me back in the Bead Circus

it seems it will

I hope to use this for smaller loafs, which have been retarded etc

Ill speak to my Machine tonight about this

thanks for those pic !

#96 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

re:  focaccia

maybe Franci will help us with the focaccia for this

I do recall her ref. vid in Italian how to make this  ...

I also look forward to that.

of course  ....  FD .... I have not made anything yet

#97 sculptor

sculptor
  • participating member
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

That Sharp is still on their website.   

I don't see how that Sharp looks more "decent" and more "amazing" than the Cuisinart.  As a matter of fact, I've always thought Sharp should've stuck to TVs.

It's in the Sharp archive and if you try to click on find a retailer, you get nothing...

I'm just going by the reviews I read. The Sharp seemed to reviewers to be better that conventional convection ovens whereas the Cuisinart seems only to match them. This doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the Cuisineart Steamboy. I for one think it's pretty amazing that something that small can match a full sized oven and I suspect it's actually superior for reheating things.

#98 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

I've been putting the oven through its paces since unpacking it, and I gotta say, it's a pretty good little toaster oven.  And then some.;

Last night, I felt like having some duck confit, which I happen to have in my freezer.  I also had some organic sweet potatoes and Yukon golds.  So I said the hell with it, and put them all on the roasting pan and popped them into the Combo at 400°F on Bake Steam for 45 minutes.

Everything came out perfectly cooked - the duck from frozen to delicious too...

Duck confit.jpg  

Edited by weinoo, 13 February 2014 - 06:04 AM.

• gfweb and rotuts like this
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#99 Barrytm

Barrytm
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

I bought one of the cheaper versions of a countertop combi to test it out, got hooked and bought a full sized unit.  Just posting to clarify that the manual with the full size unit says that at higher temps, you won't see the steam as visibly as you would when the temp is below 212, so even if it doesn't look like it is steaming, it may be adding a bit of moisture.  Here is a link that has links to different manuals and recipe books from diff manufacturers.  I am not aware of any general cookbooks for combi steam ovens that are in wide circulation.  https://sites.google...ipes-and-guides

Edited by Barrytm, 13 February 2014 - 01:31 PM.

• FauxPas likes this

#100 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

Barrytm

nice link, thanks very much

which unit did you start out w and what did you eventually end up with?

Im a bit chagrined that I have not been able to use my CusiSteamBoy yet due to Amp issues, clutter issues, back issues, and

generall ennui.

but I enjoy that its inline for a work out soon, perhaps.

#101 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Rotuts,

how many amps does it draw?

#102 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

probably the same as the BV-XL  see PM

#103 Barrytm

Barrytm
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Rotuts, the first one I bought was sold under the Westinghouse Tritec Oven name - though it was not on the Westinghouse website and was not in way supported by Westinghouse.  I bought a returned model off ebay, it was missing an o ring, but once I bought one and put it on, it worked okay.   I just checked and I am surprised to see it is still available on Amazon http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0057R5KY2   it has a very confusing series of buttons and dials - you had to hit a certain button, then turn a different dial, and the water container was extremely small. I I subsequently bought the Viking  VCSO after it had been discontinued, so I was able to pick it up at half price and it is like night and day.  I think we need to get a critical mass of these units sold, so more people will clamor for them, once that happens, main stream makers, not just the high end lines, will start offering them at a reasonable price.   

#104 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

many thanks for your contributions.

#105 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Bought this oven at Williams Sonoma outlet.  They have it on special for 149 dollars. They will also ship, not sure how much it will cost.

I wanted it, was not sure I needed it, had to take it home for this price.  Now the fun part: cooking with it.

#106 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Made short grain white rice on super steam 300 degrees for 30 minutes as recommended in Cuisinart booklet that came with the oven.  Rice was perfect.  

Attached Images

• IMG_0645.JPG

#107 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

what sort of container did you use ?

are you able to compare this method to a fuzzy logic rice cooker, if you have one ?

many thanks.

#108 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

This was a ceramics piece that was gifted to me by someone.  I was afraid that it was too thick but there was no problem.  It is like a small casserole dish with lid.  I do not have fuzzy logic rice cooker but have a regular rice cooker.  Rice tastes very similar to what I remember but you can make much larger amount in rice cooker.

#109 Raamo

Raamo
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

I can report an interesting result of bread making in a steam oven compared to a traditional oven.

I didn't think to take pictures, but my wife made 2 loves of bread - one in the steam oven using the program for white bread (which provided Steam for the start and then just convection heat for the majority of the 40 min cook time) and the other in the normal oven following the directions of the recipe (450 preheat - reduced to 425 then cooked for 30 mins).

The interior of the two bread was nearly identical but the crust was far superior on the steam oven baked bread.  The Bottom of the oven cooked one was much darker and slightly burnt.

This is in a Thermadore Steam/Convection combo oven.

• gfweb likes this

#110 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

Cooked fingerling potatoes at bake steam 400 degrees 40 minutes.  Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside.  Zero attention while cooking.  Lamb leg cooked sous vide at 140 degrees.

Attached Images

• lamb and potatoes.jpg

• gfweb likes this

#111 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

from what Ive seen on the Great British Menu Series, ( multiple ) once one understands the steam oven 

""Zero attention while cooking.""

that seems to be what those chef's think.

push the wrong buttons by mistake, then its a different matter.

Edited by rotuts, 28 February 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#112 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

LOL, push the wrong button.  Been there, done that.  

Also turned on wrong burner on the electric cooktop...  

#113 KootenayCook

KootenayCook
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

After reading all this, I had to order one.  :rolleyes:  (At least it was cheaper than my last e-gullet inspired acquisition of a chamber vac sealer.) 

#114 Okanagancook

Okanagancook
  • participating member
  • 311 posts
  • Location:Naramata overlooking Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, I hear what you are saying about Egullet inspired purchases: vac sealer, sous vide rig, vitamix, meat grinder, sausage stuffer, on the counter convection oven, numerous cookbooks!, and counting. BUT I am not getting one, I am not getting one, I am not.........not!
  • gfweb and KootenayCook like this

#115 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

I'm seeing this unit on sale again for $199.95 at Williams-Sonoma. I'm really interested but having a hard time justifying the purchase. Can anyone add more cooking experiences? 

On sale at:

http://www.williams-...onvection-oven/

#116 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

make sure you try to get the extra 10% off w anew email address

this is a one time thing unless you have several email address's    :huh:

they did not send me the coupon to a gmail address    :sad:

• FauxPas likes this

#117 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Interesting that if I click the link it comes up as $265.66 cdn plus shipping! Not that I have any intentions of buying it though I would volunteer to test it! The video doesn't do anything to sell its features in my opinion.
  • FauxPas likes this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#118 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

Oh, Canada !

• FauxPas likes this

#119 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

Well, I've been using my combo oven steadily since, well, the beginning of January.

a. It still works.

b. I really like the quality of the toast. and everything else I do in it...mostly roasted vegetables,  occasional poultry, reheating.  
Does it do things better than the Breville? Hard to say - I don't have a Breville here.  

c. I make it a habit of cleaning the interior just by wiping down with a damp sponge every time I use the steam function as the oven cools down.  The interior looks practically brand new,

d. Just tonight, for example, I steam roasted the side of vegetables shown here...375°F convection steam for 15 minutes and then 375°F just on bake for another 10.  

14_04_06_001.JPG

AT $199, if you can get another 10% off via a first-time purchase, I think it's a good buy.   

• gfweb and FauxPas like this
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#120 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

Your veggies look lovely and thank you for discussing the clean-up as I did wonder about that. I think you might have helped me make a couple of decisions here and I just went and ordered the Combo oven! Thanks to you and rotuts both! 

I had to decide between the 10% or free shipping. I went with the free shipping as it was higher than 10% - $22, I believe. I had to do rush shipping as we are heading north for the summer next week and I want to take the oven with us. 

Thank you so much, guys, and I hope to report some lovely meals helped by my new toy!!!   :smile: