Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#421 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:32 AM

its a shame the early sales seem to have evaporated.

what ever you pay, and after a short learning curve  well worth it.

• sarahvw1 likes this

#422 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

its easy to transport, but Id be careful of the water 'jug'   its heavy plastic and might crack

in the box would be better but the box is pretty big.

also empty the water out

i take mine outside when its warm, it has hand-holds on each side.

but outside for me is not very far and Im very careful 

if this is no longer made for some reason and mine Gives up the Ghost, well   it would be awful.

even just for toast !

#423 sarahvw1

sarahvw1
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

I got a promotional email from Cuisinart yesterday, featuring their entire line of countertop "toaster" ovens." The SteamBoy was featured along with three others. That would indicate that it is  still in production, and not in immediate danger of being discontinued.

On a totally different subject, has anyone figured out the best setting to heat and reheat pizza in the SteamBoy? I would give anything short of my first born (or second born, third, grandkids, etc.) to find a good guide for practical use of the Combo oven. I am more interested in single-use applications, rather than "recipes." I have looked a severalmanuals and user guides for other brands of steam ovens, but they all have different settings from the SteamBoy--most have a Convection Steam. If any of you have a good source ( or ARE a good source) of such practical applications please direct me toward such information. I am always a bit hesitant to do too much experimenting with the cost of food these days.

#424 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

I put pizza on the tray -  on a piece of parchment or foil. I like to preheat (and waste electricity) on steam 450 for about 5 minutes. Then I change to plain old convection bake at 450 and throw the pizza in for about 5 minutes.

• FauxPas and Shelby like this
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#425 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

sarahvw1

do you have the CSB ?

there is a lot of info through out this thread.

if you do have the CSB  don't forget toast, if the bread is fresh, i.e. still moist, nothing beets the CSB for toast.

nothing.

#426 sarahvw1

sarahvw1
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

I do have one. I think I was an early adopter. Bought it early in 2014. I use it all the time (toast and all), but I am not very adventurous. That is why I joined this group, hoping to get out of my rut and make better use of my CSB. All that being said, if it stopped working today, I would have another one in the house by tomorrow morning, price be damned (kinda like my Vitamix).

#427 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:23 AM

look through this thread, and consider chicken thighs  

as reviewed here.  beets  ( when I can get good ones ) are exceptional.

#428 sarahvw1

sarahvw1
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

I have done quite a few chicken iterations, lots of fish, and potatoes galore. I am more hesitant with meat (roasts, chops, shanks, etc.). Also, I am iffy on using CSB in place of my microwave to reheat food. There are only two of us living here, but I continue to cook as if I were feeding thrashers (yes, I am old enough to know what a thrasher is). It is in my DNA. My mother always wanted to cook enough food for our family, plus plenty for anyone who might drop by. On those rare occasions when we ran short when unexpected guests arrived, Mom always herded us into the kitchen and quietly whispered, "FHB." That was short for "Family Hold Back." Most of the prepared meal then went to our guests while we all filled up on bread.

But, I digress. My point (and I did have one) was that my husband and I always have tons of leftovers. So I would love to learn the finer points of restoring yesterday's dinner to all of its glory. Have any of you SteamBoy experts found any other internet resources for CSB insights?

#429 FauxPas

FauxPas
  • participating member
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

its a shame the early sales seem to have evaporated.

what ever you pay, and after a short learning curve  well worth it.

Yeah, not many sale prices anymore for the Steam Oven. I think jrshaul is in the US, where the best deal is probably Bed, Bath and Beyond (as rotuts will tell you, you can always find a 20% off coupon). Amazon used to have it priced around $240, I think, but no more. But with BB&B's coupon, that's the same price. 

If you are in Canada, The Bay used it have it on sale for $225 to $250. That's a great deal for Americans (given the current exchange rate), if you are visiting in Canada and if they actually had that sale price again!

But a couple of other choices for Canadians or for mile/points collectors. I acquired a 2nd steam oven (for 2nd house) through Aeroplan miles - Air Canada frequent flyer plan. I had some orphaned miles and redeemed them for the steam oven, but I'm not sure that they are still offering the Cuisinart oven through their rewards. However, Air Miles is also offering it, for 2400 Air Miles. That's not a bad option if you can't make better use of the miles through travel.   

#430 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

But, I digress. My point (and I did have one) was that my husband and I always have tons of leftovers. So I would love to learn the finer points of restoring yesterday's dinner to all of its glory. Have any of you SteamBoy experts found any other internet resources for CSB insights?

Nothing reheats better than the Steam Girl, in my opinion.

350F steam for about 10 - 12 minutes, and I end up with perfectly reheated rice dishes, pasta,  etc.

• rotuts likes this
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#431 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,351 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:35 PM

Shop.ca has it for a bit over $250.

• FauxPas likes this

#432 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

nice

buy 3

bring a few S. of the border.

except of course for the lonely soul, stuck in the closet.

just saying

#433 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,351 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

$234.99 at Beyond the Rack.

• FauxPas likes this

#434 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

$ 189  when I just checked your link

a streal 

didn't check shipping

still  a get-a way-clean

you seem to have 2 days and 19 hrs.

Edited by rotuts, 23 May 2015 - 02:49 PM.