Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Name This Pastry

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hi All,

I have been going through my recipe notebooks and came across a morning pastry I have not done in a long time.  It was taught to me from my Swedish Pastry Chef years ago, but the problem is someone(aka my kids) decided to draw in the book now I can not read out the name.

This is the best way to describe it:  It is a pate-a-choux piped in a round then a small round of sweet dough placed on top prior to baking.  After the bake, we use to fill the inside with rasp. jam/pastry cream/vanilla whipped cream. 

If anyone has made or seen this type of pastry, please let me know what the name is.  Have a Merry XMAS and Happy New Year!!

#2 tug

tug
  • participating member
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi All,

I have been going through my recipe notebooks and came across a morning pastry I have not done in a long time.  It was taught to me from my Swedish Pastry Chef years ago, but the problem is someone(aka my kids) decided to draw in the book now I can not read out the name.

This is the best way to describe it:  It is a pate-a-choux piped in a round then a small round of sweet dough placed on top prior to baking.  After the bake, we use to fill the inside with rasp. jam/pastry cream/vanilla whipped cream. 

If anyone has made or seen this type of pastry, please let me know what the name is.  Have a Merry XMAS and Happy New Year!!

Are you thinking of, perhaps .. Gâteau Saint-Honoré?

Peter: You're a spy
Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd
Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

#3 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,864 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

Sounds more like Saint-Honoré than Paris-Brest.

#4 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

It's a Saint-Honoré for me as well.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#5 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

I am reading the OP as describing an individual choux puff.  So to that end, I've seen some pastry chefs use a thin sweet dough, rolled very thin, placed on top of an individual choux puff before baking.  I'm trying to remember where I saw this, possibly it was in Herme's dessert book but I will have to find the book to check.

St Honore usually has caramel dipped puffs along the edge of the round but it could be plain puffs as well.

#6 Mette

Mette
  • participating member
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

maybe a Scandi-recipe? In Denmark we have the Wales bun (nothing to do with Wales....), which is puff pastry with choux piped on top, baked and filled with pastry cream and jelly, and the Swedes have the Maskastavar Kringle, which is similar.

#7 HQAntithesis

HQAntithesis
  • participating member
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

I think the name you're after is craquelin.

#8 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thank you HQ, that's it!!