Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Costco Kirkland brand Organic Peanut butter vs the Regular Natural PB

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SpaghettiWestern

SpaghettiWestern
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

what i would like to know is.....  which one has a better flavor ?

has someone tried both of these ?

Kirkland natural or Kirkland organic .....they are both 100% valencia peanuts which are my favorite.

organic doesnt always mean better flavor.

does anyone have an opinion ?

thanks.

#2 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

I make my own pb so I can't address your question directly. However, I can't imagine that either would be less than desirable, so have you considered buying both then doing a blind taste test -- maybe with a bunch of friends?

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#3 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Define regular. Thanks
I have the regular in the pantry right now. It's a little runny. Could use a deep stirring. The tall container requires a longer utensil to get to the bottom to mix completely

#4 SpaghettiWestern

SpaghettiWestern
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:33 AM

OK.... i did go back to Costco and buy the regular non organic 100% valencia peanut butter.   i didnt need to do a blind taste test.  after i stired it and chilled it in the fridge i tasted them both side by side.  to my taste... the organic has a stronger more roasted peanut taste.

i LOVE valencia peanuts... they are sweeter and have more of the taste i am looking for in peanut butter.

anyway....i like the organic better.  so  i am going to give away the regular to a friend of mine that craves any peanut butter.

i always keep my peanut butter in the fridge.... i keep all nut butters in the fridge... and sometimes in the freezer.  even when i use to eat Jif ...  i always kept it in the fridge,  I have never had any go bad on me but the natural butters are alot better off refridgerated.....

for me  anyway. 

i dont mind that when i get them they need to be stired..... thats just the way they are and its ok with me.  i stir them once and then the fridge keeps them nice and silky smooth.... and ready for whatever i put it on.

i guess i answered my own question here.  i should really have never bothered to post it because everybody likes something different

when it comes to nut butters. its a very personal thing.... peanut butter.  lol

i happen to love the tase of valencia peanuts while others may find them not to their liking. 

SO i am thrilled to find that costco now carries this peanut butter.  even if i couldnt get the organic.... i'd still buy the regular because of the kind of peanuts they use. i was always buying valencia peanut butter from Trader Joes till that went away.  i am a huge Costo fan and it was only by accident

that i discovered they have this peanut butter.  i had given up hope of ever getting good valencia peanut butter ever again.

ok well.....thanks for posting your opinions.

now i gotta go... i think i feel an peanut butter slathered apple coming on.  lol

Edited by SpaghettiWestern, 25 December 2013 - 02:34 AM.

• judiu likes this

#5 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

Actually, I thought this was a very appropriate post. In fact, the next time I'm at Costco--probably in a couple of weeks--I think I'll pick up a jar of the organic and compare it to my usual.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#6 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Define regular. ThanksI have the regular in the pantry right now. It's a little runny. Could use a deep stirring. The tall container requires a longer utensil to get to the bottom to mix completely

Barspoon, scuba.
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#7 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks. I just might have one

#8 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hmm. My mad scientist self wonders about an immersion blender. Could be a disaster. Could be brilliant. Has anyone ever tried it?

#9 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

It would absolutely work

#10 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

I would be careful with a hand blender.

1. PB is so thick, the motor may overheat. Most hand stick blender motors are not ventilated.

2. You may strip the connecting shaft.

dcarch

#11 Allura

Allura
  • participating member
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

The way to avoid the stirring altogether is to store it (before opening, at least) upside down. The oil attempts to float to the top and basically self-emulsifies.
Joanna G. Hurley
"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

#12 SpaghettiWestern

SpaghettiWestern
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

The way to avoid the stirring altogether is to store it (before opening, at least) upside down. The oil attempts to float to the top and basically self-emulsifies.

i like that idea but... but....who can wait for it to self emulsify ?

when i get it home.... i want it NOW !  lol

i dont mind the mess of getting it stired up ... then i get to lick the spoon. 

• judiu likes this

#13 MRE

MRE
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

I recently bought the Natural, and found it bland and nearly tasteless. Admittedly, I'm still a fan of Skippy and have never really liked any of the natural brands that I've tried, but I wanted to give this a try as Costco often surprises. My wife agreed with trashing the open jar and donating the other to the food bank.

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

#14 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hmm. My mad scientist self wonders about an immersion blender. Could be a disaster. Could be brilliant. Has anyone ever tried it?

I wouldn't do that ... again.  I found that a spoon works well for me.  

However, there is a somewhat more high tech device that many people seem to like:  http://www.amazon.co...tter,garden,312 Just be sure you get the right size for your jar.

Edited by Shel_B, 31 December 2013 - 08:40 AM.

.... Shel