Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Looking for a pre-dessert

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ninagluck

ninagluck
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

main will be a saddle of moose, porcini-gnocchi, safron pear

dessert: chocolat tart, curry-ice cream, caramelized pineapple, coconut tuile, pineapple air

I am seeking for somethig in between, any ideas?

maybe somethig with cheese in various textures?

thnx! 

#2 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

I once did a creme fraiche mousse (fitting to go after the moose) dusted with matcha tea powder sitting on a lemon tea cake base that was a nice transition. Also, I don't know your location, but if you can get decent strawberries, you can do strawberries drizzled with a traditional balsamic (the thick syrupy stuff) in a caramel lace bowl. The bowl always impresses people, and is simple to make - make a dark caramel, then with a whisk, drizzle either onto an inflated balloon, or a small bowl (slightly oiled). either slowly deflate the balloon (with a pin near the knot where the rubber is thickest) or just slide the caramel bowl out of the oiled bowl when cool.
  • judiu likes this

#3 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

an 'Ice'  or a gratina

http://www.bordeaux-...namon-ice-cream

not these  but the idea is something light, with flavor, but not lingering.

you can make gratina in the freezer then you fluff it up with a fork

• judiu and Lisa Shock like this

#4 bonkboo

bonkboo
  • participating member
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

I did a cranberry ice at Xmas last year that worked. Unfortunately I don't recall the recipe, but I just googled it anyway.

#5 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:11 AM

How about a salad?  As I recall, that's a traditional Italian way to do courses and seems to me it would fit well with your menu.

#6 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

I like that salad idea, too. And then maybe offer 3 or 4 cheeses. A bit of simple before the complex dessert.

#7 BeeZee

BeeZee
  • participating member
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

I third the idea of the salad. Nice transition between the rich and complex flavors. If you want to incorporate cheese, you could garnish with a cheese crostini.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

#8 ninagluck

ninagluck
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

thnx for your suggestions, but salad will be a part of the cold starter (which i did not mention) I am doing a 7 course dinner.

being in vienna, we don' really have strawberry season ;-) but I like the idea of the creme fraiche mousse with matcha powder, maybe with some dried fruits and a savory shortbread?

#9 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Well, I for one would "fourth" the idea of a salad course before your dessert, even if you say you have planned for a salad in the cold-starters stage.  Perhaps a different salad combination - a light greens one, with a light (very light) dressing, or a fruit-based one - a raspberry-type, maybe?.  I for one would be for more vegetables in one's meal.  The creme fraiche mousse, to me, is simply another dessert - so it becomes a dessert before dessert.  (Full acknowledgement - I do not particularly care for desserts anyway, personally, and seldom - nay, RARELY - have dessert or any sweet thing in my meals whether dining out or at home. (You did ask for feedback)) (I hope that dessert you described is *one* dessert, on one plate, and not multiple desserts - if I were one of your diners, that is what I would hope, anyway. :-) )

• judiu likes this

#10 sculptor

sculptor
  • participating member
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

I've never tried this, but I've always thought it might be a good idea... I savory gratina...

#11 Eastgate

Eastgate
  • participating member
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

How about a bit of remoulade? And maybe a small baked ricotta? That would give you the salad and the transition. The mustard in the remoulade would be a nice echo for the mousse, and a light cheese course would anticipate the composed dessert.

Or, how about remoulade with cheesy gougeres? Or a pear-Roquefort Madeleine?

#12 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

How much time do you anticipate allowing between the end of the main and the beginning of the dessert? I ask because both courses look very "serious" and on the filling side. If I were to put anything at all between the two courses, it would have to be small, simple, and very light--even ethereal. To riff on your post, I'm thinking of a small (~15 g) piece of cheese, perhaps a cave-aged Gruyere; a couple of neutral crackers; a few small pieces of tart dried fruit; and some green tea syrup.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#13 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

I'd be tempted to go with small cups (if you have stemmed shot glasses, they're perfect for this) of zabaglione, perhaps with a hint of amaretto.  Just enough to tease the palate and clean it from dinner.

• judiu likes this
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)