Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chopped Canada

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

Chopped Canada  starts in a couple of weeks.  From the blurb on the website, I'm assuming it will follow the American version pretty closely.  Looks like they have some good hosts lined up.

Will you watch?  Will you try to compete? 

#2 Mark Donnelly

Mark Donnelly
  • legacy participant
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

Trailer trash reality TV on a a joke of a channel.  No serious foodie would ever watch such cheap, wannbe rubbish.

#3 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 709 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

I plan on watching it but I looked to see where the contestants were from and stopped partway through. There is a very, very heavy representation of chefs from Toronto and nary a one to be found from Ottawa, where I live. I stopped counting when I counted 13 from Toronto, three from Montreal, 2 from Calgary and contestants from places as diverse as Kamloops, BC, Stratford, Guelph and Claresholm, AB. Claresholm, AB, really? I mean good for them but again, I repeat, none from Ottawa? So, it is not as interesting to me as it might have been.

#4 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Elsie, I'll check it out too.  Of course, Winnipeg (or Manitoba) isn't exactly represented in the contestant pool. But this is just the first batch, right?  Assuming it continues, perhaps they'll get more participants from outside TO.  Who knows, maybe they had few applicants from other areas?  Maybe it's a FTVC thing -- like having all seasons of Top Chef film there.  Maybe you should apply.  :wink:

#5 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:46 AM

I'll watch it and see what it's like. Will check out Masterchef Canada too. 

#6 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

I'd watch it if we got Canadian television here.  I like Chopped since it forces the cooks to think on their feet and who doesn't like to win $10000 for cooking?

Pam, will you try to get a spot?

#7 Allura

Allura
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Is it filmed in Toronto? The US version is filmed in NYC and the majority of chefs are from that area. I wonder if travel costs are paid? If not, that could cause the skewing.
Joanna G. Hurley
"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

#8 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Pam, will you try to get a spot?

Nope! Too much pressure for me -- I'm a nervous wreck when I'm cooking my own, practiced recipes on TV or in front of an audience. Don't know if I could take the pressure of thinking on my feet.

Allura -- that's what I assume, that it's filmed in TO and it would make sense if most of the contestants are from there. 

Edited by Pam R, 17 December 2013 - 10:10 AM.

• judiu and annabelle like this

#9 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 709 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Elsie, I'll check it out too.  Of course, Winnipeg (or Manitoba) isn't exactly represented in the contestant pool. But this is just the first batch, right?  Assuming it continues, perhaps they'll get more participants from outside TO.  Who knows, maybe they had few applicants from other areas?  Maybe it's a FTVC thing -- like having all seasons of Top Chef film there.  Maybe you should apply.  :wink:

HaHaHaHa

My nephew-by-marriage is one of the cameramen on that show. It is filmed in Toronto. I'll have to ask him how the contestants were chosen as I can see travel $$$ being a factor for a lots of chefs but less so for Ottawa chefs as it's not that far. I wish I had thought of that last Friday as we had lunch at a restaurant owned by a well known Ottawa chef who is fairly plugged in and I could have asked him if he knew anything.
  • annabelle likes this

#10 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

So any thoughts on the first episode? I like the fact that there was a grill next to each stove. I have never heard of mac and cheese loaf. 

#11 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

I guess we get to watch this in about a year in America? 

#12 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

Really no difference to regular Chopped. It was quite predictable.

#13 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Fewer tatttos?  Less attitude?  That would be good.

• gfweb likes this

#14 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 240 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

The one with attitude lost out to a cooking instructor. I need to see more episodes. They have really good judges which is nice.

• annabelle likes this