Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#31 nolnacs

nolnacs
  • participating member
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

That's it. I am *never* buying a mandoline. My mother offered to buy me one years ago, and I turned her down, wanting to save her money, but the real savings was in flesh and blood -- my own. Misshaped potato chips are far preferable to misshaped fingers. :shock:

Or you could buy a kevlar glove - that way you can have safe fingers and use a mandoline.

#32 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

That's it. I am *never* buying a mandoline. My mother offered to buy me one years ago, and I turned her down, wanting to save her money, but the real savings was in flesh and blood -- my own. Misshaped potato chips are far preferable to misshaped fingers. :shock:

Or you could buy a kevlar glove - that way you can have safe fingers and use a mandoline.

Or, unless you are slicing truffles, just prepare a little more of the vegetable than you need and toss the ends into the stock pot. In other words waste a little vegetable rather than getting too close to the blade.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#33 rebgold

rebgold
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

I worked on a melon farm in Israel, our kitchen was an old school bus. We boiled stocks pots of water for Turkish coffee every morning before work. One day I was sitting on the table with the burners and the full pots boiling behind me and someone jumped up on the table to sit next to me. The floor was rotten, the table leg fell through, she jumped right, out of the way of the water which all poured down my left leg. Third degree burn covered my left calf and butt cheek.
I will spare you all the story of what is what like to be in the hospital in Israel for a week when the whole thing got infected.

Also once dropped a whole full sized aluminum foil that fell out of the short side of the broken box and landed on my big toe, which broke, and had to sit on a stool on the line at work poaching 150 floating islands for a catering before I could go home. My whole foot turned purple up to my ankle.
Reb

#34 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

Well, about 7 weeks since the kitchen ceiling paint job fall and I'm still seeing the Chiropractor. But the kitchen looks fabulous.

#35 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

I'm not sure if I can even explain this, but I was in the kitchen barefoot (which we always tell our students is a bad thing, but which I do all the time anyway) and moved a couple of plates out of my way, not realizing there was a fork wedged in between them. It fell out and somehow landed so that it pierced the inside of my big toe. I couldn't figure out why my toe hurt so bad, because when I looked at the top of my foot I couldn't see anything. Then I saw the blood from the puncture wound, which was pretty deep for a damned fork. I also now have a giant bruise as well as the puncture. I should probably start wearing shoes in the kitchen.

#36 AaronM

AaronM
  • participating member
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

I've cut off the tip of my thumb on 2 separate occasions.

Been burned up my entire right arm by 500* oil.

Butterflied the fingerprint part of my index finger.

Set my hair on fire when I was cleaning behind a fryer and the fan clicked on.

And countless others.

The first things I tell new hires at any place I'm in charge is: #1 The most important thing in the kitchen is food safety - it is more important than your health. #2 If you drop a knife, put your hands in the air and take a step back - knives are expensive, but fingers cost more.

#37 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

I cut my pinky finger really deeply while trying to "pry" a piece of frozen meat apart with a knife that (thankfully) wasn't all that sharp (or I would have lost the end of a finger). the kitchen looked like a crime scene by the time I got the short distance to the sink. I got the bleeding to stop and didn't think much of it until I went to the doctor for my yearly physical a week later and she said "that could probably have used some stitches". I still have sensation but I also have a pretty good scar across that pinky.

#38 natasha1270

natasha1270
  • participating member
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Another barefoot in the kitchen victim here. Once opened the door of overstuffed freezer to have a frozen solid 24 oz block of West Virginia Bacon slip out and fall immediately onto the top of my right foot. Very painful, perfectly rectangular shaped bruise but luckily no broken bones. Also have a particular spot on my right forearm that always hits the top oven rack.
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

#39 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

Also have a particular spot on my right forearm that always hits the top oven rack.

This is a constant one with me. People give me the strangest looks out in public when I am wearing short sleeves....

#40 gastronaut

gastronaut
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

One of my first days at a michelin starred restaurant that shall remain unknown, I was making potato coins on a mandolin with no guard on(spare me the lecture) I was trying to be talkative and get to know my staff quickly, I was furiously cutting these potatoes, and ended up taking a large chunk of skin out of my index finger.

nobody knew what happened, I immediately picked up the mandoline, dropped it off at dish, went to the office, proceeded to find as much gauze, tape, and finger condoms as I could and spent the next 20-30 minutes attempting to stop the bleeding and get it wrapped. Which inevitably led to me cauterizing it with a grill spatula and finger condom for the rest of the day.

The only questions I got was.. .why were you in the bathroom for 20 minutes? Which I left a bowel movement as my excuse.
A vision without action is a Daydream; Action without vision is a Nightmare.

#41 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

Left the upper cabinet door over the fridge open, opened the fridge, leaned over to pull something out, straighened up and brained myself on the corner of the door. Really did see stars! :wacko:

#42 LizD518

LizD518
  • participating member
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Got my kitchen wound at 13. I was opening a can of soup and left the lid attached by a tiny bit. The lid was sticking straight up and I went to twist it off and instead my left thumb slid right across the edge somehow. If it weren't for my nail, I'd have sliced the whole thing off about a half inch from the tip. I grew up in a rural area and it was a half hour drive to the hospital and I've never seen my Dad that freaked out.

The most recent one was also because of barefoot cooking and sharp edges. I was using my food processor and had put the blade on the counter while I cleaned out the bowl. I knocked it off the counter and did jump back, but it ricocheted and hit the top of my big toe. I could see white underneath all the blood, so I knew the cut was pretty deep so I wrapped it up as best as I could, shoved my feet into my most forgiving shoes and went off to the hospital.

#43 AaronM

AaronM
  • participating member
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

Today playing with dry ice I licked the spoon that was in the bowl the dry ice used to be in and had to rip it off.

My cheek's bleeding, my tongue hurts, and I can't taste.

:(

Edited by AaronM, 30 March 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#44 Genkinaonna

Genkinaonna
  • participating member
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

It's like sticking your tongue to a frozen pole times a million!

I have a numb spot on my finger from cutting it down to the bone while chopping carrots at age 10 with my parents super crappy knives, I asked for a decent chef's knife for my 11th birthday!
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

#45 PopsicleToze

PopsicleToze
  • participating member
  • 944 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:47 AM

I was hacking chicken legs and accidently hacked my thumb. :huh:

thumb1.jpg

I'm a lot more careful now!

#46 Jose Nieves

Jose Nieves
  • participating member
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

I take full blame for some of my injuries.. stabbing the meaty area between thumb and forefinger 45 mins before service (only time I had to go to the ER since the sucker refused to stop "spurting" out), the four 5" burn lines on my forearm from my time spent working with a wood burning oven with a small aperture that are oddly somewhat evenly spaced, several odd looking fingertips that have been introduced to "The B*tch" (my Matfer Mandoline), etc..

But I blame the "mark" on my foot on the individual that opened the steam valve on a 60G steam kettle right as I was walking by and all the steam condensed inside my Birki (I had to go see the resort's nurse so it technically wasn't an ER) and the small notch on my ear on the idiot that forgot to transfer the vodka to a plastic container and poured out of the glass bottle while sauteing some scallops.

#47 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

Once upon a time when I was newly married, I was tidying up the kitchen after breakfast while wearing a kimono with wide sleeves. I turned around and the cuff of my sleeve caught the handle of my Melitta coffee pot and dashed it to the floor where it shattered in a million pieces including one large jagged one that pierced the top of my foot between my great and second toe. (Another entry in the "Wear Shoes in the Kitchen" Tales.) Naturally, blood started pumping out of my foot and onto the floor while I tried to tie it up with a tea towel so I didn't track blood all over the rug as I limped upstairs to wash it off and to call my husband. We only had one car and he had already left for work. Thirty minutes later, he had returned home to find me and my newborn son both bawling our eyes out and the bathroom looking like a scene from CSI: Philadelphia (where we lived at the time). I ended up with five stitches and a new coffee maker.

#48 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

Two big ones here... one me, one DH (but I had to deal with his)

We remodeled our kitchen and installed a new LP gas cooktop (replacing an electric one). I kept telling DH something wasn't right! He said it was fine and I was :wacko: One night I turned on a burner and it went WHOOSH! Caught the edge of my Tshirt sleeve and caught me on fire! Thankfully, DH was standing nearby and put me out. But, I had one heck of a burn in my armpit! Called the appliance peeps back and sure enough... they'd hooked my cooktop up to LP using the natural gas valves.

A few years later, DH was recovering from back surgery and was a leetle beet drugged up (whacked out). I had two big slow cookers bubbling away with chicken parts to make stew for a sick dog. I still don't know what DH thought he was doing, but he managed to dump BOTH pots/lids/contents onto the floor. Everything basically exploded... greasy chicken and liquid and glass from ceiling to floor and everything in between. No serious injuries, but it took me weeks to get it all cleaned up. I just kept finding pieces of chicken, greasy spots, shards of glass, etc.

#49 the old cook

the old cook
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

Years ago, young child running around, I was baking cherry pie, I reached to open the oven door with my mitt on hand, but reached BARE hand into oven, it pulled out the pie, and stuck to the cherry juice....I was screaming and trying to shake it off...child started laughing thinking I was trying to be funny. Emergency room and hour or so later, I was so full of pain meds I didn't care! But have been oh so careful since then with ovens. I am, however, constantly (since I am short) burning my arm on upper oven rack as I pull something out.

#50 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:26 AM

DH set himself on fire this morning. Was wearing a fleece and turned his back on the gas burner, the bottom of the fleece kind of flared out when he turned and whoosh! Up in flames. Fortunately he was right next to the sink and sprayed the fire out immediately. Neither of us will wear one of those near an open flame again.

#51 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 889 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

I have to admit I'm woozy after reading these stories.

When I was a child, I was making popcorn balls with my Dad. He was pouring the hot syrup and I was stirring. We managed to coordinate that so that he poured hot syrup over my finger. For years I had no knuckle, and thought of it as my "monster finger". You can tell if you look hard, and it's very sensitive. Oddly, it was a bonding experience as I got to see my Dad from a different angle and ditto for him. He referred to it recently -- I hadn't realized we never had popcorn balls or candied apples made at home after that.

I was a houseguest of a friend who had us over to her in-law's house in the country. She was unfamiliar with their very big stove and when she lit the pilot light, a giant flame whooshed out over her face. Her husband was frozen, and I grabbed her and brought her over to the sink where I pulled her hair out in hunks and held a cool towel on her face. I also held her hand in the hospital while the husband stood there, mute. Our friendship ended for unrelated reasons not long after that incident and I've often wondered what happened to that marriage.

A great aunt's clothing caught fire from her stove. She lived alone, and stood at the sink pouring glasses of water down her back. She died later, from the wounds.

Now that I've written these incidents in one place, I'm seeing why I'm not thinking kitchen accidents are amusing . . .
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#52 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

This is the scene of the accident-sink full of dishes, no room in sink to place a colander to drain pasta. Cook decided to place colander on top of the dishes in the sink, knowing full-well that when he attempts to drain the pasta, the water and pasta will probably slop out of the colander--no where for the water to drain with all those dishes. He proceeds. Hot pasta and hot water splash out of sink and stream onto cooks feet. Covered with socks-(that act like a sponge)-the hot water burns the top of cooks feet. Dreadful.

#53 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

Cut myself on mandolines so many times I bought a Kevlar glove. Amazingly protective, now I can be a little careless when slicing.

A collapsible strainer with lots of unperforated rubber on its top half sloshed boiling water back up the handle and all over my hand when I drained a pot of pasta. Terrible design.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#54 PopsicleToze

PopsicleToze
  • participating member
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

This is the scene of the accident-sink full of dishes, no room in sink to place a colander to drain pasta. Cook decided to place colander on top of the dishes in the sink, knowing full-well that when he attempts to drain the pasta, the water and pasta will probably slop out of the colander--no where for the water to drain with all those dishes. He proceeds. Hot pasta and hot water splash out of sink and stream onto cooks feet. Covered with socks-(that act like a sponge)-the hot water burns the top of cooks feet. Dreadful.

Were you "Cook"? :laugh:

#55 azurite

azurite
  • participating member
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

Learned by cutting a few fingers & grating raw the same place twice on my index finger (did it the second time just after the skinned area had almost healed), that it's best to concentrate on what I'm doing and NOT replay in my mind whatever frustrating incidents might've occurred that day while I'm slicing & dicing veg or grating a chunk of Parmesan.

Had to grab the handle of a hot iron skillet a few times before it sunk into the more primitive parts of my brain that the handles of cast iron skillets get much hotter, burning hot as it happens, than that of my other pots, pans, skillets, so keeping something w/insulating properties (silicon pad, whatever) between my hand and the skillet handle is advisable.

#56 BarbaraY

BarbaraY
  • participating member
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Lots of cuts, burns, etc during 45 years of cooking in various food service. The first time I went to the ER I was still very much a novice. Time to stone the grill at the end of my shift. I put too much fat on the grill and began scrubbing furiously. Needless to say that hot grease and stone crumbs went all over the back of my hand and wrist.
I rinsed it off with cold water and finished the job, signed out and started for home when I realized that my hand and arm were still burning and getting worse by the moment. ER was on my way home so that's where I went. Bandaged like the return of the mummy, I had to take several days off.
Never did do that again.

Same place, the chef had a tendency to tipple every night and often came to work still crocked. He was cutting up a roast turkey one day. He laid his knife across the thigh joint and slammed his hand down on it. The knife was blade upward. All I could do was grab his arm and try to stop the bleeding while screaming for the owner.
More blood than I ever saw or care to see again. Took, as I recall, 18 stitches.

#57 drago

drago
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:06 AM

I will never again lean an unsealed sous-vide bag full of a liter of vanilla custard-base against the blender just for a second, while I split the vanilla bean, which I want to put in the bag as a last minute inclusion. No, in the future I will be sure to split the bean first, and put it in the bag first before pouring the extract in the bag.

I will never again attempt to pour liquid from one bag directly in another one, when the first attempt to seal goes wrong.

I learnt that cleaning up spilled custard base is surprisingly hard work, and a half liter of liquid can cover a surprisingly large area…

I wonder how long will the counter top smell of vanilla?

#58 Twyst

Twyst
  • participating member
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:16 AM

Take a deep whiff of a Zaterains crab boil pouch.

Definitely clears the sinuses doesn't it!

#59 tmjst

tmjst
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

I will never again use a pastry bag to pipe chunky strawberry mousse into chocolate cups. The strawberry chunks clog the tip, and won't go through - no matter HOW hard you squeeze.

Little Cat Z could't voom all of the pink off the ceiling!

Edited by tmjst, 03 June 2011 - 10:23 AM.

#60 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

I will try never again to slosh water out of a pot into a cast iron skillet heating up to sear meat. I had a momentary thought... "Geez! I hope that doesn't catch fire!" WHOOSH! FLAME ON! :shock:
Thankfully, I had another empty skillet near to hand, which quickly smothered the 3 foot high flame.
No permanent damage done and DH proclaimed my dinner of Varkenshaas (skillet) and Brussels sprouts (pot) to be one of best efforts of late! :rolleyes: