Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

How to keep marshmallows from freezing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Starkman

Starkman
  • participating member
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hello all,

Say, I've searched Google and here for this answer, but I can't find one: how to keep marshmallows from freezing, or just getting to darned hard, when put into ice cream.

I like to add almonds and marshmallows to my chocolate ice cream, but the marshes get too hard. Why doesn't this happen in store-bought ice cream? Yeah, some use a marshmallow cream base, but some use real marshes.

Thanks much,

Starkman

#2 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

Are you making the marshmallows or adding purchased marshmallows to your ice cream?

#3 David Hensley

David Hensley
  • participating member
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

Try using small chunks of marshmallow creme, or fluff, or whip...or whatever it's called in your locale.  I know what you're talking about, and I think that a softer beginning product will also result in a softer final product.

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

#4 Starkman

Starkman
  • participating member
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

Well, I'm using store-bought marshmallows, but I'd be willing to make my own if they will be soft as they are in store-bought ice cream.

Further, I really want a genuine marshmallow, not a fluff or cream. Somehow something is just lost in Rocky Road (or do-it-yourself-at-home, add-nuts-and-marshes!) when it ain't genuine marshes.

Starkman

#5 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:39 AM

If you made your own, it might be worth increasing the sugar and decreasing the gelatin, and maybe adding a little alcohol to lower the freezing temperature.

#6 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

I have the same question with raisins in Rum Raisin ice cream. My homemade version has little raisin flavored granite chips. How do they keep them soft in commercial versions?

#7 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

If you macerate the raisins in rum, that will prevent then from becoming little rocks dispursed through out the ice cream. The alcohol that soaks into the raisins will keep them soft while frozen.
  • SylviaLovegren likes this

#8 Starkman

Starkman
  • participating member
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:27 AM

Well, I didn't make the marshes myself; I just used store-bought. But I may have to resort to that, keeping in mind the need, perhaps, for more sugar than gelatin and adding...adding..hic-up...adding alc...alc...yeah! (burp!)

Thanks again,

Starkman