Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Freezing Prime Beef Filets--Using Dry Ice ?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

I decided to dry age the beef..for a week or two. Keep you posted
Its good to have Morels

#32 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

You can't dry age a tenderloin effectively. You need whole primals to be able to dry without excessive loss.

PS: I am a guy.

#33 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

You can't dry age a tenderloin effectively. You need whole primals to be able to dry without excessive loss.

You would prefer.. The tenderloin still attached with the strip primal (rib)? Bone intacted?

Hanged in a locker..for 28 days..

Here is what I did... I removed the chine, trimmed it rolled it into a wonderfull pinwheel..filet,...I took the tail split it made one filet, I dissected the head, out...and made a nice filet roast.. With the reast of the loin.. I leave some fat..place the loin primal elevated on a cookie rack.. I'll get what I get..if I keep a close eye..on it..I will get some dissection and a wee bit of funk

Cheers..I'm not really worried on trim.. I'll add it to ground burger if needed

Only thing I have discarded so far is fat and silver skin..maybe 0.5 lb on 15. #

Edited by Paul Bacino, 15 December 2013 - 06:17 PM.

Its good to have Morels

#34 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 261 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

FWIW, Paul, I agree and disagree with Shalmanese about dry aging in a home fridge.  That is, I've done it successfully, but you have to be careful not to dry out the meat too much.  In which regard, a week would be too long IMHO.  For steaks, I've gotten best results with two days, where roasts can take three or four (depending on thickness).  I flip every 12 hours, as the upper surface dries faster than the lower one (even with a rack, which I assume you intend to use).  Then I wrap with plastic film and chill another 24 hours to equalize the evaporation.  Works for me.  If you have your own tried-and-true protocol, feel free to ignore all that.  Looking forward to your report on the dry ice freezing experiment.

#35 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:18 AM

Thanks ..for the tip pbear.

Paul
Its good to have Morels

#36 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:36 AM

I see what Shalmanese and pbear. Are talking about. I have about two days on it now, gonna have to retool, to get it till Friday. Gonna let it go today. Then wrap it..tonight or tomarrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

Paul
Its good to have Morels

#37 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

So finally,  I get started.

After 28days wet,  I finished these steaks w/ 2 Day open dry and wrapped  in plastic wrap 3 days dry.

11468615363_796e81b2ee_h.jpg

11468573253_06211501aa_h.jpg

I now have 5# of Dry Ice Pelleting to play with..  keep you posted

Its good to have Morels

#38 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

they look Sooooooooooo  delicious !

good for you, Mr. Beef !

and thanks for taking the time to share

Edited by rotuts, 20 December 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#39 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Thanks RT..

First  , let me say, fresh is always better.  But I ate some last week and I have some for this week.  So I have a surplus.

This is how I began my cooling.  I placed the steaks in a freezer bag, covered them with dry ice for about 15 mins.  By that time they are rock hard already.  I then went to my chamber vacuum and completely vacuum sealed them.  Then back into the dry ice.  as here!!

11469150463_5da82fb538_h.jpg

I think I need to be careful of freezer burn,  So I'm shooting for about 1-2 hrs , then done

Its good to have Morels

#40 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

how are you going to get freezer burn if they are bagged?

just asking ....

#41 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

OUCH..

Word to wise.. dont freaking grab the DI bags, holding the meat with bare hands!!

RT--I dont know @ a minus 107 F. In about 2 seconds  " how are you going to get freezer burn "  my finger tips  :cool:  RRRRRRrrrrr

Edited by Paul Bacino, 20 December 2013 - 02:35 PM.

Its good to have Morels

#42 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Id get the same gloves I use on my wood stove:

welders gloves.

cheeeep at Home depot 

ever cheaper at 

http://www.harborfreight.com/

#43 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

Paul, thanks for the update.  A few questions.  First, when you say the steaks were rock hard after 15 minutes, I assume that doesn't mean frozen all the way through.  (Otherwise, why bother with the second round of freezing.)  Is that correct?  Second, I assume you'd mention if you had a problem with the bags cracking.  Is it fair to infer you didn't?  Third, I'm somewhat puzzled as to why you put the vacuuming step in the middle.  Seems to me that would have been best done at the beginning.  What was the reason for doing it in the middle?

#44 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Also, why did you bag them before freezing? I would think it would be better to freeze them naked, then bag once frozen, as the bag is slightly insulative and will lengthen freezing time a bit. Also, doesn't freezer burn come from drying out/oxidation over long periods of time, not from extreme cold? I think what you're thinking of is frostbite, which I don't think affects non-living meat. Do watch out for your fingers though!

#45 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Just a little refinement.

I placed the steaks in a zip lock bag..first for two reasons...to preserve shape..my chamber is set high.. so I get a fair amount of compression... so I set the meat..then they go to the chamber... now little compression... I only do this with filets. second..I did ask the DI people if DI has impurities.. they said no...but RT..thought he tasted food differently...if in direct contact...hense the bag for a little protection. I don't think it slowed the freeze much

After the second bagging...the steaks went back in for about 3 hrs. I notice no bag damage...and it didn't seem brittle...but I didn't manipulate.. it much

I hope to get some pics up today or tomorrow. Of how it look.

Freezer burn..I noticed nothing. And I think your correct...my bagging helps reduce oxygen exposure.

Curious if freezing steaks in a block of ice..like I do my fish...would be detrimental...fish in ice never get freezer burn
Its good to have Morels

#46 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

Gotcha.  Thanks for the elaboration.

#47 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:07 AM

vacuum bags if thick enough  ( 3.5 MIL or > ) never get freezer burn, at least so far ....

#48 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Here is the finished freezing result look:

WE are having a party next Saturday.. I plan to do a blind tasting then

11501783966_9f56425f08_h.jpg

Fresh--  Dry Ice Frozen  --Freezer Froze

Its good to have Morels

#49 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

very very interesting Mr Beef !

the one on the L was from the same cut and treated same before the freeze?

all these are now frozen?

so the next step would be the thaw ....

if the one on the L has not been frozen, but kept very very cold .........

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts, 22 December 2013 - 02:19 PM.