Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

All About Bitters (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#331 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:28 AM

Using some cheap Chinese vodka I found (53.7&% APV distilled from sorghum with a little bit of barley and wheat) I started my first three batches of bitters. Aside from the coffee ones, I used Chris Amirault's Hess House Bitters as a starting point. The coffee ones were from the book Bitters but modified somewhat. I have to use gentian as it is the most readily available bittering agent (well, I can get wormwood, but I've yet to see a recipe that uses it as the sole bittering agent).

Coffee, cinnamon and cocoa nibs: self-explanatory. The coffee (I used some nice single origin beans) is supposed to dominate.

Die Boer: I worked off the spices used in boerwors: allspice, coriander seeds, cloves, black peppercorns and nutmeg. Allspice and coriander are meant to be the main players. 

Star anise, black cardamom, coriander seeds, Sichuan peppercorns, cinnamon and clove. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#332 Vieux Carré

Vieux Carré
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Which online sites offer the best selection of bitters for purchase?

#333 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

If you were in Australia I'd say OnlyBitters.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#334 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Introducing the latest in artisanal bitters: ground cricket

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#335 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Introducing the latest in artisanal bitters: ground cricket

Any purpose to this other than shock factor? I am trying to imagine the taste of toasted crickets and what that could bring to a cocktail... some people say they taste like sunflower seeds.

#336 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Based on their press materials, part of the point is "normalizing entomophagy through cocktails," i.e., getting people to think it's okay to eat bugs. Plenty of people think that's the future of protein for humans as the strains of maintaing livestock take their toll on the planet. 

The rest of it seems to be, as you rightly put it, shock value. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#337 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

So will the cochineal beetles be going back into Campari?

• Hassouni likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#338 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

This wouldn't be my first run-in with aromatic insect-based additives. I'm reminded of the 'Water Bug Extract' up-charge at various specialty restaurants in Southeast Asia. You'd add a few drops to a dish, inhale deeply, and pay some ridiculous amount...not unlike having truffles grated over your risotto.

• Rafa likes this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour