Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Seeds/grains don't stick on baked breads! Any "glue" ideas?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lizztwozee

lizztwozee
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Greetings, bread bakers! I'm experimenting with topping my breads with rolled oats and seeds, with some successfully sticking (after a dip in water previous to the second rise), and lots falling off after baking. I'm wondering if another liquid like milk, or maybe a corn starch slurry would be a good idea? Here's a quick shot of some rye breads with oat bran, which stuck on pretty successfully, but being a smaller material, I think that had something to do with it. Any experiences to share? Thanks.

Attached Images

• RyeBreads.JPG

Lizz

---
"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
-Wayne Gretzky

#2 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Beaten egg whites with a bit of water is suggested and has worked for me. It does not add the extra color that a whole egg can.
  • judiu and Shelby like this

#3 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

I second Heidi's recommendation. I always use egg white and water and most of the seeds stay on.

Beautiful breads. 

#4 bethesdabakers

bethesdabakers
  • participating member
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

For seeds I just scatter them in the bottom of the proving basket. For a decent coating of oats have a tray with a wet tea towel in the bottom and a tray with plenty of oats. Roll the dough after shaping on the wet tea towel and then in the oats until completely coated.

Mick

Mick Hartley
The PArtisan Baker
bethesdabakers
"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

#5 lizztwozee

lizztwozee
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Great suggestions, all, thank yoooouuuu!!

Lizz

---
"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
-Wayne Gretzky