Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Potable Secret Santa

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

to quote Mitch Hedberg:

"I love the Fedex guy, he's a drug dealer and he don't even know it!"

• judiu, ChrisTaylor and Rafa like this

#32 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

A guy asked me if I wanted a frozen banana daiquiri now and I said no, but I want a regular banana daiquiri later, so, yeah.
  • judiu and Hassouni like this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#33 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

"I saw a wino, he was holding grapes, I said, dude, you have to wait!"

• judiu and Rafa like this

#34 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

When you sent it and all, you didn't ... declare it as booze, right? 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#35 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

No. I thought I had devised a fail-safe alias for my parcel.

#36 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Oh. The good old glass art work. Boring, plausible and more specific than just 'glass container' or 'fragile non-suspicious item--nothing to see here!'

And I assume the packaging didn't scream WINE MAILING BOX!. Shame to see most of the packages go astray. I hear tell FedEx--not that I've ever ponied up for them--are good for this sort of thing. I think, Stateside, they can ship booze legally. Could be wrong, tho'. I mean, you guys have funny laws about moving things between states, right?

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 25 January 2014 - 03:41 PM.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#37 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

I imagine things get trickier, and more expensive, with transatlantic booze shipping, unfortunately for Ms. Vertes. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#38 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

I imagine things get trickier, and more expensive, with transatlantic booze shipping, unfortunately for Ms. Vertes. 

Vertes got hers, thanks to her Santa ordering from a British site!

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#39 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

I braved a trip to the post office and was rewarded with my no-longer-secret Santa's gift—a lovely and functional meditation fountain. Not potable, per se, or boozy, but a thoughtful present that will be of much use in my continuing quest for enlightenment.

Unrelatedly, I've found my new favorite Daiquiri rum. 

954517_10100375527127452_20141843_n.jpg?

• Hassouni and Plantes Vertes like this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#40 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

I seriously considered joining the potable SS - and was going to see if I could rig it to be SS for Rafa - and to send him exactly the same thing!!!  

• Rafa likes this

#41 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

You're too kind—did everyone know of my love for meditation aids?

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#42 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

You're too kind—did everyone know of my love for meditation aids?

I notice you mentioned that you hadn't had it before - and I see many, many bottles every time I go into the LCBO - so it seemed like a good match!  If it remains your favourite meditation aid - we may need to mail some next time I cross the border.  

#43 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Just for future knowledge, I loooooooove HC Añejo 3 Años

• Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this

#44 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

I seriously considered joining the potable SS -

I considered it too but I don't have access where I live to anything anybody can't get cheaper and easier themselves. Well, I can get Havana Club but just the anejo blanco, reserva and 7 year. So, for the most part, I'd be the only one that would benefit from my participation and that seemed a bit unfair.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#45 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

OMG- look at what Santa/Fedex delivered a few minutes ago: Perry's Tot navy strength gin from NY Distilling Company. Not something I've ever seen here in California. I would try it right away if I hadn't had a couple of drinks with my lunch already (the weekend started early).

12684891963_a6dfec0bd4_z.jpg

It smells wonderful, and the little cocktail books seem like a lot of fun.
Thanks a lot Rafa!
  • Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this

#46 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

Glad you're happy with it, and sorry it took so long and so many attempts to reach you!

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#47 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Glad you're happy with it, and sorry it took so long and so many attempts to reach you!

Nothing much you could do, and it was well worth my wait.
Were they ever able to locate the first shipment, or did it get lost in the mail?

#48 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Lost down some postal worker's gullet, probably. I suppose I can find it in my heart to forgive their attempt to Grinch your Christmas. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com