Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Radish

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

My local supermarket had radishes yesterday. We hardly ever get them here, so on impulse I bought some. Normally I'd just eat them with S+P or use in a salad, but they are slightly past their their best. Not as crisp as I would have liked. 

radishes (1).jpg

They have to be used quickly. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 Dakki

Dakki
  • participating member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Carve into flowers, use 'em to decorate a pate.

• judiu likes this
This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

#3 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

I like roasted radishes.  Oil, salt and pepper about 10 mins in oven at 425.  My oven takes a bit longer though.

edited to add that I halve them or quarter them if they are bigger radishes

Edited by Shelby, 28 November 2013 - 08:58 PM.

• judiu and liuzhou like this

#4 Ttogull

Ttogull
  • participating member
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Same idea as Shelby - I like to grill them. Too bad you don't have the greens. Grilling/roasting the greens for so few minutes and adding to the root makes a fantastic dish.

#5 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Pickle them.

dcarch

#6 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I like roasted radishes.  Oil, salt and pepper about 10 mins in oven at 425.  My oven takes a bit longer though.

edited to add that I halve them or quarter them if they are bigger radishes

I'm going to try that! Thanks!

• judiu and Shelby like this

#7 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique
  • participating member
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

I made braised radishes for T-Day. Most people hadn't had them before and really liked them. Put in pan with just a little water and some butter--whatever seasoning you like. Cover and cook for a bit, then take lid off and let water evaporate, so they are just glazed with the butter. I put them around the turkey platter and they are so pretty and just delicious.

• judiu, MikeHartnett and Shelby like this
Deb
Liberty, MO

#8 aLex_Cabral

aLex_Cabral
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Soak them on cold water (whole) for
A couple of hours, it will bring back some texture