Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking with "Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#241 Darcy

Darcy
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Can anyone give me advice on marshmallows? I have made the recipe from C&C and it turned out a bit "wet"? I didn't like the texture. Also, do we need to add the invert sugar? He doesn't use it in his "at home" book, so I wondered what s the reason for it and if omitted what would be used to replace it? Does anyone use a different recipe other than Greweling?
I also have varying degrees of success with sponge candy and I notice he uses gelatin in his C&C book but not in the "at home" recipe. Can anyone tell me the purpose of the gelatin? I don't want to use unnecessary ingredients if it's not essential. Thank you in advance

#242 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

Welcome Darcy.

I think the gelatin in the professional book helps with the structure - another trick is to put the container in a warm oven - then pour the hot sponge into the warm pan and leave it in the oven as it cools down.

I suspect the invert sugar in the marshmallow is for shelf life and perhaps texture - cream of tarter is used in some marshmallow recipes - that causes the inversion of sugar so would have much the same effect.  

#243 Darcy

Darcy
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Thankyou Kerry, your answer is much appreciated! Caramels and Marshmallow, these are the candies I am trying to perfect but it's not easy. Can I ask what you would think the perfect depth for caramels are? I thought half inch? is this too deep? Most recipes I've tried tell you the size tin to use but the caramels always end up too thin

#244 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thankyou Kerry, your answer is much appreciated! Caramels and Marshmallow, these are the candies I am trying to perfect but it's not easy. Can I ask what you would think the perfect depth for caramels are? I thought half inch? is this too deep? Most recipes I've tried tell you the size tin to use but the caramels always end up too thin

I guess it depends what I'm doing with them.  If they are just going to be cut and wrapped - then I like them a bit thicker - maybe even up to 3/4 inch.  For dipping in chocolate I might go thinner.  

If you are finding them thinner than you want - using caramel rulers would give you the option of making the 'tin' the size you want.