Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#451 gfweb

• participating member
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Way cheaper than the amount of gas it takes to heat up a cast iron pan!

#452 tdatta

• participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

6.1 kWh over 22 hours is pretty good. Any idea what it took to get up to temp? I assume that holding temp will use far less energy than getting up to temp.

#453 chris_s

• participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:33 AM

6.1 kWh over 22 hours is pretty good. Any idea what it took to get up to temp? I assume that holding temp will use far less energy than getting up to temp.

Water comes out of my faucet at 120°, so I included the warm-up consumption in the 6.1 kW

#454 Indy D

Indy D
  • participating member
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for doing this analysis, I have been curious about this as well. Interesting to note that you did this in a metal pot. Using a more insulated container would surely make this more efficient. 

• paulraphael likes this

#455 JoNorvelleWalker

• participating member
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

While reheating some frozen chicken for tonight's dinner I found a possibly novel use for the Anova.  Which use had very little to do with chicken:

As is my wont while dinner was cooking I was summoning a zombie.  All went well till I tried to get the lid off the half liter canning jar that holds my tincture of cinnamon.  The lid was stuck on tight.  Very tight.  I tried a jar opener to no avail.  I ran hot water from the kitchen faucet over the lid.  No joy.  I had visions of blood and broken glass and melting ice.  (Feeling somewhat fortunate that I had on a cinnamon colored flannel shirt.)

Then I noticed the Anova in the pot next to the sink.

I held the lid of the jar in the 65 deg C water bath for a few seconds.  The lid came right off.  That alone was worth the price of the Anova.

#456 lesliec

• host
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

I had an email this morning announcing that the beta version of the Anova app for Android was available.  I haven't got home yet to really put it through its paces, but I did notice that the recipe amounts, when they're by weight at all, are in Imperial units.  I can switch Fahrenheit/Celsius but nothing else, it seems, which is sad.

Anybody else tried it?  How have the Apple aficionados found their version of the app? 

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#457 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

Well, I finally managed to kill one of my Anova circulators. Actually, I'm not really very sure what I did to it... I ran a rather lengthy unheated sous-vide thaw job out on my back patio in just-above-freezing temperatures, put it away for a couple months, and when I came back to it the unit tripped my breaker upon being plugged in. The good news is that Anova cross-shipped a replacement overnight when I inquired about repairs.

• paulraphael likes this

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist