Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#271 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

probably pulled the amazon listing until they get all caught up from the direct orders, I'd guess.

#272 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

and... looks like it's back!

bu at a (very) slight premium, (probably to offset amazon's fees to Anova)

http://www.amazon.co...anova sous vide

i think being on amazon is well worth it for most companies. (we're just getting on there with my food product)

Stats say a lot of people look there first for almost anything!

#273 michoutim

michoutim
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hello,

I attach a photo which shows how to cope with the lid problem.

The red part is a thin flexible sushi mat cut to fit the neck (7 cm) and back -all measured with my calliper-, the  green part is one of those flexible cutting boards. It works well.

For bigger rectangular containers you can find bigger size sushi mat here :

http://www.ebay.fr/i...=item4ac1e9d97c

It is very easy to cut and if you leave lots hanging on the sides, it will stay in place.

Juste now I am making mi-cuit of salmon (I'd like also to call it confit of salmon) -brined in sugar + salt + water 45 minutes, then cooked at 40oC. As per the recipe on that site :

http://www.chefsteps.../salmon-mi-cuit

I have terrific fun with my Anova, Guys ! :laugh:

Enjoy the weekend !

Attached Images

• anova Lid.JPG

• gfweb likes this

#274 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

Price war has started. Williams Sonoma has the polyscience unit for $299.
  • DiggingDogFarm likes this

#275 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 736 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Very interesting!

Comes with a "free" Camwear container too.

• gfweb likes this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#276 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

Price war has started. Williams Sonoma has the polyscience unit for $299.

not much of an opening shot, for what that costs, I'd be halfway to a second anova!

#277 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:18 AM

So currently running firmware 1.18, is the free upgrade still up for grabs?

Out of curiosity, is there a changelog?

Thanks!

#278 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

I finally ordered.  Twenty one day delivery time, same for all colors.  After much considereration I went with black.

With my luck, watch for a new model to be announced tomorrow.

#279 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Black is the best color. You have bought well, JoNorvelleWalker.

#280 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 888 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

You'll be happy whatever the colour, Jo (although I agree black is best). There may never be a new model. I think they got this one pretty well right.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#281 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

You'll be happy whatever the colour, Jo (although I agree black is best). There may never be a new model. I think they got this one pretty well right.

I finally ordered.  Twenty one day delivery time, same for all colors.  After much considereration I went with black.

With my luck, watch for a new model to be announced tomorrow.

my blue and red would tend to take umbrage at the discriminatory 'black is best', of course, as they say, it does go with everything.

I have no idea when they'll be coming out with a new one, but I sent in some ideas for what I thought were improvements, and got back a 'thanks' note, with the rather cryptic 'I can tell you that at least 2 of your suggestions are already implemented in a future design.'   of course, now, I'm itching to find out which of the ideas. ;)

#282 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

Dammit - don't tell us that! We'll get all anticipatory. Or depressed, depending on our financial/geographical state and elapsed time since our purchase.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

#283 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

I said nothing, and you didn't hear anything here!

#284 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:47 AM

Actually Shola (studiokitchen) is beta testing a new professional model now!

• gfweb likes this

#285 Xinram

Xinram
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Today I received my circulator, it came without a manual. Does anyone have an Anova Manual in PDF format, or a link on the Anova website. I looked on the website to no avail and mailed them but have not yet received a response.
Maybe it matters that I received the European version.

Edited by Xinram, 10 March 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#286 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

Today I received my circulator, it came without a manual. Does anyone have an Anova Manual in PDF format, or a link on the Anova website. I looked on the website to no avail and mailed them but have not yet received a response.

Mine came on a thumb drive. Are you sure there isn't a thumb drive in the package?
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#287 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

After giving me a 21 day delivery time last night, anova just notified that my unit has already shipped.

The anticipated professional unit sure would be nice...though it might cost more than $199.

#288 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

After giving me a 21 day delivery time last night, anova just notified that my unit has already shipped.

that's what I call under promising and over delivering ;)

#289 alanz

alanz
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I don't think they are putting the user manual on a thumb drive these days.  The last unit I received had a paper manual.

Anova would likely send you a file if you asked.

#290 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Try this, Xinram.  It may not be the most recent version, but it will give you something to read while Anova's getting a 'proper' one to you.

My eG Foodblog

#291 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

with a quick glance over, I didn't see any differences in that and the paper manual I got with mine.

#292 Xinram

Xinram
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Thanks, reading the manual seems to work, but I seem to be unable to download it.

#293 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

that's what I call under promising and over delivering ;)

The FedEx tracking that Anova sent yesterday shows the unit is about half way to me.  However the most recent email from Anova sent today says the unit will ship in ten days, as was stated when I placed the order (it didn't, it said 21 days).  I hope the person who wrote the order system is not the one who wrote the firmware.

#294 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

The FedEx tracking that Anova sent yesterday shows the unit is about half way to me.  However the most recent email from Anova sent today says the unit will ship in ten days, as was stated when I placed the order (it didn't, it said 21 days).  I hope the person who wrote the order system is not the one who wrote the firmware.

*shakes head*

#295 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

FedEx was supposed to have delivered the Anova today, so I stayed home to wait for it. Nothing came, no notice left. I went on the FedEx website and FedEx says no one was home. Hmm, I've been home all day so not to miss delivery. I'm beginning to think Anova does not exist.

Until I find a better container I am planning to use the Anova (if it ever comes) in a straight sided stock pot. Other than lack of insulation, is there any reason why this shouldn't work? Any ideas or encouragement?

#296 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 736 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

I've used a stock pot with no problems.

FedEx is a disaster...they did that same thing to me several years ago on a very important delivery......long story short....it was delivered to me on a Saturday before Saturday delivery was standard.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#297 SleeperService

SleeperService
  • participating member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

FedEx was supposed to have delivered the Anova today, so I stayed home to wait for it. Nothing came, no notice left. I went on the FedEx website and FedEx says no one was home. Hmm, I've been home all day so not to miss delivery. I'm beginning to think Anova does not exist.

Until I find a better container I am planning to use the Anova (if it ever comes) in a straight sided stock pot. Other than lack of insulation, is there any reason why this shouldn't work? Any ideas or encouragement?

sounds more like fedex doesn't exist....

a deep enough stock pot is fine, I wrapped a towel around the first things i was using till I got some reflectix and made a blanket for my carlisle food box.

towel around and some foil over the top, you'd be set. 

#298 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

It was traditional, a month or three ago, for the Anovas to spend a few days taking in the sights of Chicago before moving on to their intended destination. Maybe Jo's is just enjoying itself.

I use a stock pot for my smaller cooks with my Anova (which is most of them). I stand it on a wooden chopping board so it doesn't lose ridiculous amounts of heat to my granite benchtop and put a couple of sheets of foil over the top, but I ignore the sides. Sure, I could wrap it in something to cut down heat loss from there too, but it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

My eG Foodblog

#299 michoutim

michoutim
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

I use a straight sided stock pot, no problem (I have posted a photo above with my own "systeme-D" lid.

#300 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

It fits a 12x18x9 without having to make a notch

Which model Cambro is in the picture, and what size hotel pan, please?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist