Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Morton's Kosher Salt

Condiments

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chefjpk

Chefjpk
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

Sodium ferrocyanide is the anti-caking agent in Morton’s Kosher Salt. When it comes in contact with an acidic ingredient, a hydrogen cyanide gas is forms. Consumption is hazardous. My question is threefold. What is the percentage of Sodium ferrocyanide in Morton’s Kosher Salt? Should we not preserve lemons in Morton’s Kosher Salt? Is this product gluten free?

#2 jayt90

jayt90
  • participating member
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

You need pure salt for pickling. No additives. Diamond Crystal kosher should be fine, or any coarse pickling salt.

#3 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

I would like to know how many micrograms-per-gram the concentration is and then look into how much gas is formed before forming my opinion.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#4 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Call Morton's and ask for the MSDS sheet...it may or may not be helpful....their MSDS sheets tend to encompass more than one product and are very general.

I know that a lot folks use Morton's Kosher for fermentation, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're still concerned, use a real Koshering salt such as David's or Canning and Pickling salt, neither contains additives.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm, 04 November 2013 - 07:01 PM.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#5 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I am unconcerned about miniscule amounts of HCN that might be generated during cooking. Neither is FDA which has approved the product.

#6 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

According to this PDF

The maximum amount of Yellow Prussiate of Soda in the salt products listed above is 13ppm or 0.0013%

This is too inconsequential to care about from a food safety perspective.

PS: I am a guy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Condiments