Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Christmas Cookies Redux

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

I've realized I've got to get going on my citrus peels, because many of the Christmas goodies depend on them.  Ack!

#32 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 774 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:29 AM

I would like to make some alfajores for Christmas. Never having made them before, I'm wondering how well they keep. Does the filling make the cookies crumbly after a day or two? Are they better filled just before eating? Should they be kept refrigerated? Thanks!

#33 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

I would like to make some alfajores for Christmas. Never having made them before, I'm wondering how well they keep. Does the filling make the cookies crumbly after a day or two? Are they better filled just before eating? Should they be kept refrigerated? Thanks!

I've never made them, but Martha Stewart says "store in an airtight container for up to 2 days".

#34 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

There was just a thread here about storing alfajores recently. Granted, the answer came from a manufacturer, but it has info regarding refrigeration:

Best way for long storage (up to 6 months) is the freezer. Just make sure to leave them on the shelf for enough hours for them to unfreeze completely. Refrigerator is not recommended at all.

They will also last on the shelf, you can safely consume them up to 10~15 days (not more than that, please) after expiry date.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?