Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Simply Ming" does sous vide, and MC ish

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

Ming Tsai, the owner of Blue Ginger in Wellesley MA has a PBS show called 'Simpy Ming'

its in its 11th 'Season'  and today on ep 1102 he does some SV and some MC-ish stuff w guest Chef Grant Achatz.

its a show I regularly follow as Im a Student  Addict of PBS Cooking shows, the better ones at least, and others, esp. those from the BBC.

he does SV salmon, using a SVS and a sealer system I do not recognize

fresh  ( probably Ultra Fresh ) salmon and fresh herbs and olive oil  :  125 F  / 20 min.

take it or leave it.   its the first time ive seen SV " sur la Plate " on a PBS cooking show.  Great British Menu does it all the time.

the guest and Ming do some MC ish stuff later.

although the Test kitchen did show the SVS a while back, they have chosen not to make anything on their show ( yet )

Weenies.   :raz:

#2 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

I

"although the Test kitchen did show the SVS a while back, they have chosen not to make anything on their show ( yet )"

I'm not at all surprised at that.  After all, what meager percentage of their viewers actually own and use a SV system?

I do agree, however, that it would make an interesting segment; but then I am a foodie after all.

#3 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • participating member
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Ming Tsai also has  a really good website. He has lots of video linked to recipes and ingredients.