Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

ISO Pepper Leaf (rolls)/Mieng Kham Recipes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CeeCee

CeeCee
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

Dear all,

A little while ago a Laotian dish almost literally blew my mind. Bold flavours, contrasting textures, yum! The description on the menu was a taste explosion and it did live up that. It were pepper leaf rolls, including raw red onion, lemon, palm sugar, peanuts, ginger and some other ingredients, which I forgot or couldn't indentify. The cook told me the sauce for the filling needs to be boiled down, which takes a while. I've been looking online and recipes are not that forthcoming, so I'm hoping someone here might know about these and could give a hint as where to search.

Of course, other suggestions for using pepper leaves would be highly appreciated too...

#2 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

I loved this dish in Thailand - it's very popular in Northern Thai.... here is a recipe I've used and it tasted very similar - especially if you can find Betel leaves or pepper leaves in your area....
http://www.thaifooda...cipes/mkum.html

#3 CeeCee

CeeCee
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the link Kenneth, didn't know about Kasma having a recipe for this!

Anyone who uses pepper leaves in a different way?

Edited by CeeCee, 18 October 2013 - 11:35 AM.